$2,200 for a disco 12" on Ebay????

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
I know there's some expensive records, I collect rare 60's 70's psych rock but I think this price for something from the disco era is pure insanity! My friend alerted me to this, I could go live in Thailand for that price. lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARTIN-DUMAS-Attitude-Belief-Determination-12-Rare-Disco-Boogie-Funk-SEALED-/191537852242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c988baf52

Comments

• Not too sure what disco era has to do with what people are willing to pay for a very rare and and might i add great track. If anything it probably makes more sense to drop that kind of coin on a song you can actually play out compared to a psych rock record your going to be listening to at home by yourself. Rare is rare across the board.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    its simple.. this is super rare, and one of the best modern soul tunes out there. Theres tons of other modern/disco stuff that sells for similar or even more money and is not even 10% as good as this imho.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,884 Posts
    It's March 20th and the Auction says "Ended: Apr 15, 2015 , 12:29PM"

Disco Time Machine

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is it?

It's aiight.... Not burning dance floors like Tony Aiken for a 1/20th of the price:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    I'm unable to think of better examples at the moment, but the 12" for Barrabas' "Woman", just on the strength of it being a Mexican press and on colored vinyl, sells in the three digits, so it's plausible.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    You're crazy bruh! Nobody not rich and famous is going to play a $2,000 record at a gig! Some drunk chick comes up and stumbles into the booth and the needle goes riiiiiiiiiip causing a skip and now your 2k record is now just a $20 frisbee lol
    There's already a bootleg of that record, and more to come.
    That's a ridiculous inflated price for any piece of wax. Sorry just my 2 cents. I paid $1 for an original Lou Ragland-Hot Chocolate lp.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U Soun Porr

batmon said:
    U Soun Porr

No I'm just not a fool who would pay that much for a damn record lol
    I think the most I've ever paid was $500 for a mega rare psych record with about 3 sickening drum breaks, fuzz guitar, moog synths. I had to have it. I used my tax return and treated myself, but that was a rare exception.
    For the record I have collected all genres, I made the example of psychedelic rock because it blows away any other genres price max in general. An un played copy of the XIAN psych rock monster Search Party sold for 11k! There's some foreign psych rock records that go upwards 2k minimum. There's also John's Children, Tinkerbell's Fairydust..early Beatles (The Quarrymen) promos big $$$
    Not psych rock but Sex Pistols God save the queen promo 45 with notes etc is now 7 to 8k My uncle has it.
    To each his own I guess

• I never get this line of thinking.

Someone who is worth a few million or more, for them dropping a couple of grand on a record is the equivalent of most folks dropping $1 on a record.

The main difference is they don't need to dig and pray they come across a track in a dollar bin one day. They just buy it. If I had money, I won't be searching in dusty barns wishing I came across some rare car. I'd just buy what I want.

And hating on disco records going for coin? Stick in your lane.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    CuriousGeorge said:

That's right, you tell the man in the big yellow hat how it is.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    early Beatles (The Quarrymen) promos big $$$

No.
    Not psych.
    Not promo.

Classical records, soul 45s and blues 78s seem to be stronger markets for 4 figure records than psych.
    Not that there are not a lot of money psych records.
    Modern soul and disco are 2 of the strongest collecting fields right now, I would expect prices to continue to climb.

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=disco&so=p
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/search?q=modern+soul&so=p

There are plenty of djs who play the rarest of the rare out.
    More power to you if you can find the records you want in the dollar bin.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah fuck, not that I have, but I've certainly been to nights here in Sydney where people have played $2k 45s out. I mean, sure it could knocked about, but why the hell wouldn't you want to play an awesome song out if and when you get the chance?

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    I love and collect many genres (moder soul/disco, psych, reggae, soul, afro etc.), but the most money goes on modern soul and disco records. To me, this Martin Dumas 12" is worth at least 2k!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Topcat dude, you're missing the point.
    Records are magnified in sonic value by their rarity n price tag.
    Johnny Bristol on Handshake is fantastic at 5 bucks; it would be a stellar sound if it was rare and 500.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts

Comiskey Park was actually instigated to make Bee Gees deadstock more collectible. These dudes were all record dealers.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    also, about the song itself, i could see it fitting really perfectly into not just boogie/modern soul/funk sets but even thrown in toward the end of any house/techno/electronic set. that makes it a whole lot more valuable to many folks (i.e. DJs) than some private mindgarden psych track, or some beatles crusty collectro nonsense.

great, great song & if it's rare enough it's absolutely worth $2k. lmao at topcat's "disco sucks" stance.

Whoa calm down people! I wasn't putting down disco records. I own and play plenty. I should have rephrased it though as I'm just surprised any 70's disco era 12" single sold for that much that's all. Sure if you're Bill Gates dropping that type of coin is like buying a record in the bargain bin. I understand not many copies were pressed and it's a very nice sounding record. I think it's too much for any 12" single we can agree to disagree on that.

I've been buying and selling rare records of all genres since I was in high school, I'm 44 now. I pretty much lived on Popsike like some people do on Facebook now.
    True there's some mega rare blues 78's that fetch huge $$$ Tommy Johnson,Robert Johnson etc. Some early jazz stuff is the same deal. Rare early Blue Note promos etc. Everyone knows about the Hank Mobley which is impossible to find.

However it is 100% indisputable fact that the rock genre has the highest average top record prices of all time. Sorry despite the modern soul/disco surge none are ever going to sell for what that John Lennon assassination evidence lp sold for. I think it was $150,000 or something? There's several rock genre albums I can name that are not even in this list, many are psych or 70's prog monster rarities too. Some of that obscure South American psych stuff sells starting at 1k and goes up from there. Prog is going nuts too. Even I'm dumbfounded at what people are willing to pay sometimes.

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/yerblues/vinyl_fetish__a_list_of_some_of_the_most_valuable_vinyl_records/1/

I'd say as the list above indicates Northern Soul records would be second most valuable based on a whole. In fact at one point you could slap the "Northern Soul" tag on some obscure doo wop/soul 45 and it would fetch a higher price than it normally would without that tag. That's a fact because I did that as a seller on Ebay for years. I still do not know what a true "Northern Soul" record criteria is? Check out the final auction price for that Darrell Banks 1966 45 on London auction. The hardcore NS collectors are willing to shell out serious loot for 45's that I wouldn't pay 25 cents for. To each his own.

As far as playing an extremely rare and expensive record at a club gig (value of 1k + ) I would probably play it safe and press up a duplicate copy if possible and keep the original in a nice safe,secure place. If something happens to the copy no big.
    Seriously what are you going to do if the record gets damaged at the gig and oops there are no more copies even if you had Floyd Mayweather type disposable income to go buy another? Just write it off and say it was still worth it? When in reality not a single drunk person in the club/bar etc is going to remember or for that matter care that you dropped a really rare expensive record in a set the night before.
    So I guess when you're left holding that scratched,warped or cracked remains of your now $2,000 frisbee you can ponder that fateful decision and decide for yourself if it was really worth it? Lol

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    It's 2015 and we are still posting about "can you believe how much that went for on ebay".

It's all relative to your personal situation on what the right price is. The might be an inconsequential amount of money to the person who bought it. Just remember each and every one of us is a unique snowflake.

The question is do you collect "psych funk" with breaks?

djtopcat said:

However it is 100% indisputable fact that the rock genre has the highest average top record prices of all time.

I could dispute it.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

Comiskey Park was actually instigated to make Bee Gees deadstock more collectible. These dudes were all record dealers.

Hahaha!!

This is great.

Staying on topic, I bought the Dumas reish. $300 is my limit on any single piece, but it's all relative and I'd spend $2K on it if I had millions.

For me, time is more important that money--you can always make more money, but you can only borrow time, so I will sometimes overpay to get shit online rather than scour the city in search of the next "hit".

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Did you hear about the Judge - Chung King Can Suck It 12" that sold for 6 grand a few weeks ago on Discogs? Collectors be crazy...

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    G-Writah said:
    CuriousGeorge said:

That's right, you tell the man in the big yellow hat how it is.

I've been spending a lot of time watching Curious George with my toddler lately, and MWTYH lives in a 4 bedroom high rise apartment in the city - with a doorman - has a two story house in the country, and never ever seems to do work. George ends up doing it all anyways. Dude is rich and probably spends this kind of loot on disco 12s anyways.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Why pay 20k on a car when a 2k car gets you from a to b plus you can buy 9 rare disco twelves.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

LaserWolf said:
    djtopcat said:

However it is 100% indisputable fact that the rock genre has the highest average top record prices of all time.

I could dispute it.

Todays top sellers on ebay:
    Disco
    Punk
    Disco
    Grunge
    Northern
    Beatles
    Blue Note
    Disco
    Soul
    Psych
    Afro
    Prog
    Soul

LaserWolf said:
    LaserWolf said:
    djtopcat said:

I could dispute it.

Todays top sellers on ebay:
    Disco
    Punk
    Disco
    Grunge
    Northern
    Beatles
    Blue Note
    Disco
    Soul
    Psych
    Afro
    Prog
    Soul

Lol well this dubious list just proves my original statement. 5 of the 11 (disco and soul listed twice ;)) in the list are from the rock music genre. That's almost half of the top sellers (punk,grunge,Beatles,prog,psych) I would probably list red hot selling black metal too. Mayhem's Deathcrush lp has sold for as high as 3k. The average is $200. A much smaller genre but still rock.

No doubt soul/disco is a hot seller now which makes me very happy because I'm about to sell 1,000 disco promos I bought from a former disco dj's estate! :P I do like soulful disco tunes,and some Italo Disco but the rest is just not my thing so I'd rather sell them all off.

Anyway I think we can all agree that a record is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at the time. Some records are just automatic a certain minimum price, some go up and some go down. The fact that the Dumas 12" sold to one person for 2k+ a month ago and just recently for $800 proves that point. :D

• wescoasiawescoasia 126 Posts
    For those who want this record, this recently got a remastered reissue from BBE.

They did a pretty good job with it, too.

http://www.discogs.com/Martin-Dumas-Jr-Attitude-Belief-Determination/release/7012435

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    what a great track

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    I paid $1 for an original Lou Ragland-Hot Chocolate lp.

Yes we know. you've now told us half a dozen times. congrats...