NEO-SOUL FAVS???

2»

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    slept on

I remember hearing this when it came out. I didnt think she was carving out any new ground. Its sounded like color by numbers neo soul. I'll give her props for her jazz vocal leanings but after that.... I have friends who swear by this lp.

it's funny you say that because she actually came out before 99% of the neo soul artists mentioned on this page. So I doubt she was copying anybody. To be frank I thought she was well ahead of the curve...........Dred Scott of "Breaking Combs" handled the production on it and it's top notch.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    why does every other neo soul album ever have that same brown/yellow/orange color scheme to it?

• Anything this guy touches is good, this has been a constant player since it came out in 2002.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

Comfort Woman, Me'Shell Ndeg??Ocello

don't sleep[/b]

Like auditory prozac...this is my doo doo...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Comfort Woman, Me'Shell Ndeg??Ocello

don't sleep[/b]

Like auditory prozac...this is my doo doo...

I'm a huge fan. I have all of her albums. "Peace Beyond Passion" or "Bitter" are my two faves, though.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I keep on buying his albums but only these two ever really blew me away. The bsides to Whoever, Bittersweet and the original release of Lucky(not the K&D remix copy) are stunning as well.

Also, Omar's Best By Far is one of the most slept on albums I know.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Also, Omar's Best By Far is one of the most slept on albums I know.

Co-sign. But slept on by the common public. Dude has serious cult following.When he plays in NYC the place(SOB) iz packed.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What... No mention of Instant Vintage!? I think I have 3 copies of the LP.

This Angie Stone record is great too:

Especially this cut:

I was a big fan of the Brand New Heavies - Brother Sister LP in the 90s.... This track is killer:

Oh and Maxwell - Embrya

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    is maxwell ever going to put another record out? i think his last one is amazing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    is maxwell ever going to put another record out? i think his last one is amazing.

[em][strong]BLACK[/strong]summers'night. [/em]

I though the trilogy would continue w/ [em]black[strong]SUMMERS'[/strong]night[/em] and then [em]blacksummers'[strong]NIG[/strong]HT[/em]

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Three More

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

You know that!

You got the acappella of "Friendly Pressure", I presume?

from one of the greatest mixes of all time, ever:

bonus beat is to skip back to 38:00 for the "first time ever" blend.

With 10 years to make up, this thraed should live on live long.

This one slays me every time

Are hip hop instrumentals w/ vocals considered neo-soul?

"jesus timberlake"

i was unconvinced initially, but the last stretch of the video brings it all together... bizarrely

i only really know this dude from his stuff with ab