Dope (The Movie)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central

OK... I'm getting old. We have millennials who are 90s hip hop geeks and Zoe Kravitz looking fine.

Paging Batmon.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Post-Hip Hop

along w/ Dear White People and Black-Ish.

b/w

Folks should be ashamed of themselves still using Dope at this point.

b/w

Zoe is str8 jacking Jada Pinkett Smith.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm a 90's hip-hop geek with a haircut and an EPMD 12" from 1988.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    is this supposed to be an early 90's period movie or is it supposed to take place in present times?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I'm breaking a multi-year lurker streak because I'm so confused by what I just saw.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Porkys.
    but with drugs instead of sex.
    (?)

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    ...and the ever reliable Grant High as a filming location (:41).

It also doubled as Bayside. My mom graduated there in '77. And there's Judy Baca's '84 Olympics mural nearby, too...in an aqueduct that probably has not held any water whatsoever since it was made.

I probably won't see this movie.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    is this supposed to be an early 90's period movie or is it supposed to take place in present times?

I initially thought it was a period piece but then they referred to there needing to be an app for that, so I'm going to assume he's an anachronism and it's present times. Or, the movie was just poorly written.

I thought it was clear that this was present times and cats are doin' the 90's Retro thang.

Menace to Society meets Napoleon Dynamite.

b/w

Does this mean new rekkid collectors are eating up 90's Hip Hop wax and CDs?
    Or just watching Fresh Prince and going shopping?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    batmon said:
    new rekkid collectors

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I don't understand his guidance counselor's question in the very beginning? It seems like the answer would be a resounding "YES" but he asks the question as if the kid is doomed and will never go to Harvard.

JectWon said:
    I don't understand his guidance counselor's question in the very beginning? It seems like the answer would be a resounding "YES" but he asks the question as if the kid is doomed and will never go to Harvard.

You Sound White

batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

I'm whiter than frightened milk...which is besides the point.

The movie script, however, sounds flawed from the rip.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

I'm actually confused about why you're confused tho! The guidance counsellor is assuming that "kid from the ghetto" has no shot getting into an Ivy league school.

You Sound White Too

batmon said:
    You Sound White Too

Yeah, I oughta. This is where I grew up:

Man breaks into Dundas homes to take a nap, drink and eat pizza
    By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: May 27, 2015 11:30 AM ET Last Updated: May 27, 2015 4:14 PM ET
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/man-breaks-into-dundas-homes-to-take-a-nap-drink-and-eat-pizza-1.3089349

It was the White suburbs mixed in with a dash of aggies.

:bizzo: :cool: :get_on_my_level:
    :goat: :latte: :off_the_wall: :nagl: :shreddin_it:
    :real_headz: :sonned: :dodododo:
    (where did the slow burner-moji go??)

There were like two or three of us who weren't White in each school. But I loved it/wouldn't change it 4 the world.

Blatmon, you wouldn't know what it's like to grow up as a minority in your neighbourhood! I'm not hating on you, I'm just explaining why you're harshing my mellow.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What would make the main character more ironic is if he liked ice hockey.

ketan said:
    batmon said:
    You Sound White Too

By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: May 27, 2015 11:30 AM ET Last Updated: May 27, 2015 4:14 PM ET
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/man-breaks-into-dundas-homes-to-take-a-nap-drink-and-eat-pizza-1.3089349

There were like two or three of us who weren't White in each school. But I loved it/wouldn't change it 4 the world.

Blatmon, you wouldn't know what it's like to grow up as a minority in your neighbourhood! I'm not hating on you, I'm just explaining why you're harshing my mellow.

Shut the fuck up

ketan said:
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

I'm actually confused about why you're confused tho! The guidance counsellor is assuming that "kid from the ghetto" has no shot getting into an Ivy league school.

Nah, my question/confusion is this...

Does the guidance counselor not know that his student has straight A's or does he not know that there are scholarships and programs that are geared towards getting black youth (with straight A's in poverty stricken areas) into college?

Either way, the opening line is cringe worthy and makes the counselor look like he has no idea how to do his job...maybe that's an intended part of the plot, though...who knows.

JectWon said:
    ketan said:
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

JectWon said:
    batmon said:
    JectWon said:

You Sound White

Nah, my question/confusion is this...

Does the guidance counselor not know that his student has straight A's or does he not know that there are scholarships and programs that are geared towards getting black youth (with straight A's in poverty stricken areas) into college?

Either way, the opening line is cringe worthy and makes the counselor look like he has no idea how to do his job...maybe that's an intended part of the plot, though...who knows.

Oh, I assumed this was an off the wall comedy. Like, playing up the stereotype for laffs. (Totally unnecessary and classic Hollywood BTW.)

batmon said:
    ketan said:
    batmon said:
    You Sound White Too

Shut the fuck up

Oh, I'm sorry, man. I was mean there - I can be asshole sometimes. (Edit: What I mean is, I don't even know you to be making assumptions about.) (But I figured you could take it as well as you give it.)

I'll shut the fuck up now.

^^ DRUNK TALK

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    :post_modern:
    "90s throwback" stuff = cool
    "90s throwback" = "stuck in the 90s"
    so
    "stuck in the 90s" = cool

:shreddin_it::get_on_my_level:

things are looking up for 42 yr old dj w baggy pants

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    My friend would go nuts over this. His main beef being that these retro parties, movies, and so forth, all go for the 89-92 stereotypical over the top styles and disregard everything else.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    deezlee said:
    Porkys.
    but with drugs instead of sex.
    (?)

It has to be said, Porkys is kind odf boring. This is especially so compared to the glories that it spawned, like Screwballs. Now there's a film.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Y'all take these type of movies way too serious.

But anything that uses the word "dope" and batmon disapproves of is fine by me.

DOR said:
    Y'all take these type of movies way too serious.

But anything that uses the word "dope" and batmon disapproves of is fine by me.

The Guardian doesn't exactly just give out five star reviews, but then, I've never heard of the reviewer, Brian Moylan...

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/29/sundance-2015-dope-review-subversive-crisp-teen-comedy

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    someone came up and requested Leaders Of The New School on saturday, saying it was used in this movie... that is all...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Lil dudes gonna start watching Juice and Above The Rim like we (yeah, I'll do that) watched blaxploitation movies.
    I saw the previews for these I was half yay/half boooo, can't call it.