Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,098 Posts
    i saw the overnighters and it was incredible. i wonder what's up with the pastor now?? thanks for the recco!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    YNOT said:

The Record Man Trailer from Giovanni Costa on Vimeo.

Made a separate post about this and got crickets..Caught this at the premier a few months back. Solid work on Henry Stone, TK Disco, and Miami Soul classics. Be sure to check out when it eventually makes it's way to your city/the interwebs.

Killer... Look forward to seeing this.

The Bob Weir documentary just hit the Netflix wire and it is DAMN good.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Splinters. It's on Netflix. Follows the buildup to a Papua New Guinea surf contest.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    enjoyed the doc ellis one. he was an original.

"Overnighters" was mind blowing. You all must see it.

Cosign! I'm friends with the filmmakers; our daughters go to kindergarten together. Such a great film, and one that really stays with you. It was shortlisted for an Oscar, but didn't make the final cut.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Waiting for a watchable copy of the Tower Records story "All things must pass" It's coming to the SIFF so I may go see it then.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3272570/

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    The World According to John Coltraine (available in full on youtube):

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Cosign! I'm friends with the filmmakers; our daughters go to kindergarten together. Such a great film, and one that really stays with you. It was shortlisted for an Oscar, but didn't make the final cut.

respect to your friend. that was the most affecting thing i have seen in a while and i tell everyone to check it out. i mean it was an interesting story and then i guess he sort of hit documentary gold when events started unfolding. the scene in the coffee shop between the guy and his wife is heart-rending, devastating. ditto on the scene with the reporter chasing him. ditto on the scene where he gets out the car to wave at the train. cuts to the bone. you can't script shit like that. should have got an oscar nod.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

respect to your friend. that was the most affecting thing i have seen in a while and i tell everyone to check it out. i mean it was an interesting story and then i guess he sort of hit documentary gold when events started unfolding. the scene in the coffee shop between the guy and his wife is heart-rending, devastating. ditto on the scene with the reporter chasing him. ditto on the scene where he gets out the car to wave at the train. you can;t script shit like that. should have got an oscar nod.

major on this one

it would've been a great film already even without all the twists and turns at the end

JectWon said:
    The World According to John Coltraine (available in full on youtube):

Fack, this is sooooo good.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

Caught "I Am Big Bird" over the weekend. May have shed a tear

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    hogginthefogg said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

respect to your friend. that was the most affecting thing i have seen in a while and i tell everyone to check it out. i mean it was an interesting story and then i guess he sort of hit documentary gold when events started unfolding. the scene in the coffee shop between the guy and his wife is heart-rending, devastating. ditto on the scene with the reporter chasing him. ditto on the scene where he gets out the car to wave at the train. you can;t script shit like that. should have got an oscar nod.

major on this one

it would've been a great film already even without all the twists and turns at the end
    I watched this because of all this glowing praise but tbh i found it disappointing. It didn't really seem focused, just a meandering tale of these disparate voices whose one uniting factor was they had untold hard luck stories. It didn't seem to be going anywhere and I didn't really learn much about the situation. It's was like it touched on an interesting story but only to a surface level, never really giving proper depth. Like the dudes who got mad and the Pastor, they never really explained why. Never even looked for a deeper explanation. About half way through I hoped that the twist at the end wasn't going to be that this rather camp gentleman turned out to be a devout man hiding from his true feelings, because that would be such a cliche. I dunno. Maybe if you're American it speaks more to you and your American dream, but I found it passing me by with little effect.

If you like 80s home movies of tits and cocaine, the Quiet Riot doc delivers:

On demand on Showtime.

RAJ said:
    If you like 80s home movies of tits and cocaine...

And, if you don't like 80's home movies of tits and cocaine, please speak up...we need to know who you are.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Okem said:

Similarly, there's also this documentary that looks purely into Cambodia's rock and roll history. You may be lucky enough to catch it at a festival or small cinema.

just saw this last week, loved it. the music is amazing & i was really impressed by how much archival footage they managed to include. definitely recommended.

Awesome, awesome, awesome doc on Brubeck.

Please ignore the Cosby presence.

Okem said:

I watched this because of all this glowing praise but tbh i found it disappointing.

do u even empathize?

I can see where you're coming from though, I think the film works more as a character study than a political/issue doc. They don't contextualize more than the minimum necessary to understand the setting, but I the pastor's story is still touching.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Okem said:

I watched this because of all this glowing praise but tbh i found it disappointing.

do u even empathize?

I can see where you're coming from though, I think the film works more as a character study than a political/issue doc. They don't contextualize more than the minimum necessary to understand the setting, but I the pastor's story is still touching.
    It wasn't a bad doc, I was just expecting 'mind blown'.

It just seemed that fundamental questions about what was going on with the characters never really got looked into. It wasn't even really explained what all those guys were actually doing there, besides the young guy who wasn't living in the church we didn't get to hear any detail of their lives. They were just this parade of kinda hopeless cases being cared for by this warm-hearted Pastor, who may have had a slightly ulterior motive to letting a bunch men camp in his church.
    I guess unless you use some device like an interviewer or voice over, it's difficult to tell the story in great detail because you rely purely on people's real life reactions.

Okem said:
    ppadilha said:
    Okem said:

do u even empathize?

It wasn't a bad doc, I was just expecting 'mind blown'.

It just seemed that fundamental questions about what was going on with the character never really got looked into. It wasn't even really explained what all those guys were actually doing there, besides the young guy who wasn't living in the church we didn't get to hear any detail of their lives. They were just this parade of kinda hopeless cases being cared for by this warm-hearted Pastor, who may have had a slightly ulterior motive to letting a bunch men camp in his church.
    I guess unless you use some device like an interviewer or voice over, it's difficult to tell the story in great detail because you rely purely on people's real life reactions.

by coincidence, when I watched it I had just read this article about hobos and drifters working the sugar beet harvest in the same region and it put a lot of the film into context for me:
    http://www.vqronline.org/essays-articles/2015/04/sugar-days

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Heidemarie Schwermer - I love this woman!

Okem said:

It just seemed that fundamental questions about what was going on with the characters never really got looked into. It wasn't even really explained what all those guys were actually doing there, besides the young guy who wasn't living in the church we didn't get to hear any detail of their lives. They were just this parade of kinda hopeless cases being cared for by this warm-hearted Pastor, who may have had a slightly ulterior motive to letting a bunch men camp in his church.

i get that. they didn't focus much on anyone but the pastor. what i thought was really insightful about the doc is that it showed how difficult it is to combat NIMBYism when it comes to having unsavory dudes in the neighbourhood (eh-yo). the only way it could be resisted was through the pastor going above and beyond. and as we saw, he's only human.

same sort of thing happened when we bought our house back in 2009. it was a nice, quiet neighbourhood, but a halfway house for ex-cons was being proposed nearby. as we spoke with our new neighbours, they were generally really kind and welcoming to us on the one hand, and then really upset and dismissive of the idea of the halfway house. understandable? maybe. helpful? not at all. and six years later, we all co-exist with very few issues to speak of.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    "Dawg Fight" just hit netflix, a little violent but a story that needed to be told:

DAWG FIGHT trailer from rakontur on Vimeo.

Wolfpack is something else...

SPlDEY

EDIT: Sorry...the channel owner is an idiot who is afraid of embedding...here you go:

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Yeah I want to check back for the surfing docs in this thread. Meanwhile you need to watch Last Days in Vietnam I saw it on a BBC Storyville and it rocked me. Incredible story well told!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw Decline of Western Civilization with a Q&A with the director.
    Didn't stick around for part 3 (had to get up early for church the next day).

Saw it when it first came out, could never find the vhs/dvd.

Holds up, recommended.

Meru is a great documentary.... total tear jerker---- must see.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

Radio that changed lives -  Reminded me that i still actually like hip hop, just nothing released in the last ten years.

George Harrison Living in the material world - amazing film as much about a man's search for inner peace as the music he created.

Rubble Kings - Great film although nothing groundbreaking if you have had an interest in the early days of the bronx gangs and the birth of hip hop.

Fresh Dressed - interesting as well, as much as I never have or will ever, be caught wearing karl kani or anything puff designed.