Grand Master Fraud?

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    What a bullshit story. I understand Mel and Scorpio being somewhat bitter about how shit panned out for them, but it's hardly Flash's fault that Mel's career went up his nose. The suggestion that Flash is somehow conning people because he doesn't "perform" on the records (Er, "Wheels of Steel", anyone?) is garbage. Even back in '81, I knew exactly who Flash was and what he did, and I was in fucking England.

And anyway, if you want to talk about fraud, how about when they booked a European tour as "Grandmaster Flash & the Furious 5", only for people to rock up to the venue to see them billed as "Grandmaster Furious and the Furious 5", as was the case when they performed at the Hacienda in '84? I actually thought the promoters had made a massive fuck-up on the posters, but unbeknownst to the paying punters, Flash had quit on the eve of the tour, and a few other dudes who also never performed on any of the records, like Tommy Gunn and Kuriaki from the Rock Steady Crew, were along to make up the numbers. I later learned that E-Z Lee (a/k/a Sylvia Robinson's boy Leland) had been given the job of effectively pretending to be Flash, and that evening he did a bang-up job of fooling most of the crowd. Again, because I knew exactly who Flash was and what he did, I knew that one of his trademarks was three turntables rather than two, which the imposter used. All through the show, they referred to him as "Flash", and he attempted not entirely successfully to recreate the "Wheels of Steel" routine, which I'd seen Flash perform live twice when they toured the UK in '82. It's the only show I've ever been to where I asked for my money back (and got it).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cocaine and steroids.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Bloated muscles everywhere
    Got a skin tight shirt and really long hair
    Can't get no respect for me and my boys
    Gotta take the case to court, guess I got no choice
    Flash makes a million, we get jacked
    white lawyer saying flash is wack
    The judge he agrees, they collect their fees, and now it's time for us to book a tour overseas

That updated video of the message was pretty sad. The actor lawyer, the airplane, oiiiyeeee.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Bloated muscles everywhere
    Got a skin tight shirt and really long hair
    Can't get no respect for me and my boys
    Gotta take the case to court, guess I got no choice
    Flash makes a million, we get jacked
    white lawyer saying flash is wack
    The judge he agrees, they collect their fees, and now it's time for us to book a tour overseas

That updated video of the message was pretty sad. The actor lawyer, the airplane, oiiiyeeee.

Everything about The Message 2015 video is sad. Posing as ballers going to a car dealership and touching the cars, and opening the doors etc, but not leaving in the cars. Then rapping on the sidewalk by the beach as if you should throw change at their feet for performing.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    At first I thought this thread was going to be about Grandmaster Jay. But somehow, it's about something even worse.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    that shit was pathetically lame... wow

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Did you know that Walt Disney hated his employees, Women, Jews, Blacks, and couldn't draw? That nigga couldn't even draw his own signature, but people still worship him to this day.

- spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Also, I should have said Vicious Lee and not E-Z Lee in my original post.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Branding 101.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Yaheard: Growing up outside of New York we assumed Melle Mel was Grand Master Flash because he was in the front rapping.

...this fucking fuck...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    No wonder they're so furious.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The way Flash tells it in his book Sylvia cut him form the group so she didn't have to pay him. Then he found out that he didn't own his own name and that the group where touring and putting our records with his name on them.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Go on

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I heard Aaron Fuchs tricked him into it

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Gary said:
    No wonder they're so furious.

Whereas Kriss was just Kross.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Isnt it just Melle Mel snd Duke Bootee rapping on The Message snd thd song was produced n written by them two? That would make the other Furious 4 just as Vanilli as they claim Flash is.

On a side note, I saw Flash DJ in early 2000s and it was a dissapointment. But hes still a pioneer in my books. Speaking of books has anyone read his autobio?