TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Thoughts on this whole Sterling Saga?

I'd err on the side of keeping him just because Liverpool's recent track record with signings has been laughable over the past season. I don't trust the club to purchase a suitable replacement for him.

This is a hilarious quote from an ESPNFC article today:

"This is a club that in recent years thought it could replace Xabi Alonso with Alberto Aquilani and Javier Mascherano with Christian Poulsen. Sami Hyypia's replacement? Sotirios Kyrgiakos. Andy Carroll was signed to replace the outgoing Fernando Torres, while Carragher's immediate successor was Kolo Toure; and when that didn't work, they spent £20million on Dejan Lovren."

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    discos_alma said:
    Thoughts on this whole Sterling Saga?

I'd err on the side of keeping him just because Liverpool's recent track record with signings has been laughable over the past season. I don't trust the club to purchase a suitable replacement for him.

This is a hilarious quote from an ESPNFC article today:

"This is a club that in recent years thought it could replace Xabi Alonso with Alberto Aquilani and Javier Mascherano with Christian Poulsen. Sami Hyypia's replacement? Sotirios Kyrgiakos. Andy Carroll was signed to replace the outgoing Fernando Torres, while Carragher's immediate successor was Kolo Toure; and when that didn't work, they spent £20million on Dejan Lovren."

I bet the cunt who wrote that didn't even know who Sami Hyypia was until he'd won a Champions League medal with us.

If Sterling really wants to be the next Shaun Wright-Phillips, he can go as far as I'm concerned. He barely put a shift in this season (although he was far from alone in that regard), so it's hardly as if he's going to leave a massive Suarez-shaped gap or anything. In fact I'd go as far as to say it won't make a blind bit of difference whether he leaves this summer or next. Of course, the press will indulge all this "I need a club that matches my ambition" talk because he's English, but Michael Owen supposedly left LFC to win trophies and play for a club that matched his ambition. He ended up winning less than he would have if he'd stayed, and that's counting stints with Real Madrid and Yanited. To be fair to Sterling, if all I saw coming in this summer was Danny Ings and James Milner (and probably not even Milner now), I mightn't want to stick around either. But equally if the alternative was simply being a generously remunerated benchwarmer at the Bernabeu or the Etihad or the Bridge, where I ended up getting less game-time than Tiago Ilori or Jordan Rossiter, then I mightn't be so hasty with the want-away chat.

Sure, LFC's inability over the last few seasons to retain key players or land their main transfer targets is a worry - the latter can't entirely be down to none of them wanting to come to Liverpool - as is the trend towards conducting a little too much contract renegotiation business via the press. If FSG recognise this as a problem, then getting shut of Ian Ayre would be a big step in the right direction towards solving it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Sure, LFC's inability over the last few seasons to retain key players or land their main transfer targets is a worry - the latter can't entirely be down to none of them wanting to come to Liverpool - as is the trend towards conducting a little too much contract renegotiation business via the press. If FSG recognise this as a problem, then getting shut of Ian Ayre would be a big step in the right direction towards solving it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ibe couthinho..these guys stepped up

sterling is wildly overrated and has not matured as a player at all
    he is not the next kun aguero..let another team pay absurd for this unproven irresponsible kid

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    pcmr said:
    ibe couthinho..these guys stepped up

sterling is wildly overrated and has not matured as a player at all
    he is not the next kun aguero..let another team pay absurd for this unproven irresponsible kid
    Sayin... Coutinho is miles better than Sterling. Bullschitt "English" premium got somewhat better than average players thinking they are the next Messi.

That said...I'll trade you for a Walcott :-)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    An inform Sterling can be great but probably not world class. Shitty as it is to speculate on other teams unfaithful, not sure he's what we need at Arsenal but I certainly wouldn't mind him signing for us. Around great players I think he can step up, but I don't think he's ever going to carry a team.

• I wouldn't say Sterling is wildly overrated at all..he scares the shit out of defences. He didn't seem overrawed by playing in the World Cup like others did.

He could become a very good player in future. Liverpool are rightly trying very hard to keep him.
    I think his Agent is the problem, more than he is.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    He's definitely a top international level player so he should be playing in the CL, if Liverpool can't offer him that, it's understandable enough that he wants to try his luck somewhere else. It's not like he's a scouser, dude is from N London via Kingston JA.

Sterling seems to have had one of those season where his foot is already half out the door, so I'd not be expecting him to stay. But, as trite as it may be, if he does end up at City or Chelski it will probably kill his career. Well maybe he could make it at City, he could kinda fill a Nasri or Milner sized hole quite well.

I've always rated Coutinho. I remember watching him in a fairly meaningless CL group game against Inter, around the time Wilshere was just breaking into the first team at Arsenal. I think they're similar ages and in that game Coutinho stood out as a talent, I'd be surprised if Wenger didn't consider him at some point.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I'd like to see him step in for Nasri, sure. Nasri has to go - lazy and moody, no room for such types when your season is regularly labelled a bust for not besting Barcelona. Not really seen enough of Pogba to say whether he's the new Yaya (Baconface WRONG?), but the [strong]OG [/strong]Yaya seems to have caught Nasri-itis and I expect to see him go over the Summer too. And that ham-footed Dzeko.

Coutinho would be better but I can't see that happening.

Personnel issues should bedriven by what City need to do to beat bus-parking. Most visitors don't come to play openly, perhaps wisely, but it's not in MP's repetoire (or remit, I suspect) to fight bus-parking with bus-parking a la Jose. It does leave City open to the counter but I admire MP for it, even it if costs him a job.

I believe the most effective solution is taking it down the wings and crossing it to the big man but Dzeko ain't no Drogba. Maybe Bony will settle into the role, but Navas isn't consistent enough to provide sufficient service.

We'll see what's in the shop window come Summer.

Looking forward to Juve/Barca. Battle of midfields. Barca will edge it, just too many playmakers.

WE MUST STEP TO THE REAR AND CHEER.

Any thoughts on relegation this year? Newcastle in the shit? It feels like its a loss either way for them.

As far as Sterling goes. I like the guy, both on and off the field. I think it's his agent that needs to go. And as much as I would like the guy to stay. Let him go if this is the way he lets things go on.

• I would much rather Newcastle stayed up than quite a few other teams that are safe.

BUT, if relegation makes Ashley sell then maybe it is better for them in the long term.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    I would much rather Newcastle stayed up than quite a few other teams that are safe.

BUT, if relegation makes Ashley sell then maybe it is better for them in the long term.

Relegation didn't make him sell last time.

• True.

I saw newspaper reports he might this time though.

50m for Aaron Ramsey??? Ridiculous story of the summer alert!!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Personally hope Newcastle go down. Woeful club. Utterly banal and boring.
    Much vaunted fans based only on lazy media cliche, like no other team fans have the same fervour. Totally not based on reality, and total BS.

As for the boy Sterling, quite over-rated, based on a a good 10-mins here and there.
    Only 4 possibilities for his current disastrous PR:
    He's a prick who hired a great agent
    He's a lovely, grounded kid who hired a prick agent
    They are both lovely and are being bullied by the media-savvy Pool Mafia
    They are both pricks

No prizes for the likeliest answer

Fantasy league title still up for grabs on the last week of the season.

Jose giving the "Big names" a rest is scuppering foll and folls plans.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    skel, you been busy on the weekends bruv?

I could be very down for that, if they could stand for random fartage

Poor old Gerrard.

Created, incubated or curated, that has to be the most abject side Loverpool have had since our time.

Rogers gone inside a month?
    6-1 to Stoke though.
    Stoke.
    Smfh.

It was a terrible season. Both for my club and my FL team. I'm gutted. What can you do?

What's next for Gerrard? I'm hoping he's taking a piece of an MLS club.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    after not submitting a line up for the first five weeks, i managed to fight my way out of the basement.

i'm coming out swinging next year.

Gah! Just shy of 2K points. Transfer fines have cost me. Biggup the one SIR OSKARINHO. Please remind us of your SS handle. Finland. For real doe?

On the upside, I won my old Dublin league which means the beers are on me next time I'm over there.

Wait, how is that an upside?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I think Oskarinho has won it before, he always does well, don't know if I've ever seen him post here tho. Maybe we should ban him.. (;

I gave up on my team after about week 3, the idea of putting enough effort into it to do well just made me lose the will completely, didn't make a single transfer or substitution since. oh well.

• OckaOcka 13 Posts
    Gah! Just shy of 2K points. Transfer fines have cost me. Biggup the one SIR OSKARINHO. Please remind us of your SS handle. Finland. For real doe?
    foreal foreal (no ezale) b/w thanks. my strategy is, and has always been, to stick with it and wait for others to lose interest.

I think Oskarinho has won it before, he always does well, don't know if I've ever seen him post here tho. Maybe we should ban him.. (;
    i'm too busy lurking to post. i'm willing to take a point deduction penalty. about 23 points sounds fair.

edit. my decima post. shout outs to ancelotti.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

This motherfucker right here.

Ocka said:
    foreal foreal (no ezale) b/w thanks. my strategy is, and has always been, to stick with it and wait for others to lose interest.

This is why I think we should only pick one team, no transfers until January. I just don't have the time for weekly wheeler dealing.

edit. my decima post. shout outs to ancelotti.

Sad for Ancelotti, just a cool guy. Papers are saying Benitez next for Real?

Yay!
    The end of Blatter is almost at hand.
    The timing of these raids is fantastic.
    Warner and them are just tactical targets.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Very well timed. It almost feels like a coup.

“The indictment alleges corruption that is rampant, systemic and deep-rooted both abroad and here in the United States, said Lynch. “It spans at least two generations of soccer officials who, as alleged, have abused their positions of trust to acquire millions of dollars in bribes and kickbacks.”

We just have to hope the whole organisation is brought down with them. Whoever let the French be in charge of football..?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    do the germans have a word for a feeling more intensely gleeful than schadenfreude? Because that's what I'm feeling right now as former CBF honcho and old time dictatorship leech José Maria Marin gets hauled away.

plus this Havelange might get in on the action too, and he deserves it more than anyone:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/11/us-soccer-fifa-bribes-idUSBRE86A15S20120711?irpc=932

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    FIFA being corrupt has been so obvious and widely ignored for so long I still can't believe the top guys won't wriggle out of any repercussions somehow. The last time they had an election the only other candidate was done for corruption and they all just ignored it and carried on as usual.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Okem said:
    FIFA being corrupt has been so obvious and widely ignored for so long I still can't believe the top guys won't wriggle out of any repercussions somehow. The last time they had an election the only other candidate was done for corruption and they all just ignored it and carried on as usual.

I think the question is whether or not it will reach Blatter. The past scandals involved things that happened some years in the past and usually people who were no longer in office. This time it seems like it involves some more recent dealings, with some bigwigs like Chuck Blazer (I think it was him) and J Hawilla (big time sports rights negotiator in Brazil) having fessed up to things and done deals with investigators to rat out some others, and some of the prunes who got arrested now are either in office or left office just a few months ago. But just the thought that a guy like Marin is being held by swiss authorities right now waiting to be extradited to the US brings a smile to my face.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I'm sure a couple of days ago (before these arrests) the Guardian mentioned that Blatter won't go to the US as he's wanted on some tax avoidance thing. At the time I thought nothing of it as the rich thieving motherfuckers of this world are never brought to justice... but now, I'm thinking, maybe, just maybe!

Vote rigging - please can this mean Qatar gets cancelled. So blatantly bought.