Is GEMM still working or more of a cemetery?

Sweet_PremiumSweet_Premium 368 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central
Bought a LP yesterday that's under the radar from a german seller on GEMM. The seller seems reliable and has good feedback history.
But I never received a confirmation of availability from the seller and haven't been able to pay for the item yet. I'm sure it will be sorted some way or another but it got me thinking. Is people still shopping on GEMM or is it more of a record store cemetery with sellers not updating their stock? Thoughts?

Comments

• PicklesPickles 67 Posts
    used in the past but had some average..ie no results. think musicstack is better(slightly) but cdandlp quite a bit and is good but pricier seeing the euro is high for us at the moment

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I used it recently after about 4 or so years of no use. Compared to discogs its a shambles. I had a Brazilian seller who behaved really erratically, and I was quite convinced I had been ripped off.

I felt there were no safety nets in Gemm to give me appropriate recourse. Luckily he came through with the record.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    found a good deal on gemm a few months ago (it was a Lord Rhaburn 45, goes for around $25, seller had it listed for $5) after having not bought anything on there since probably around 2011/2010. the seller canceled the order after i had paid & issued a refund. told me he couldn't find the record in his stock....which i assumed was just an excuse because he hadn't looked at his gemm account any time recently & didn't realize a few copies of this 45 had sold for more money in the last few years...

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i would never buy off Gemm or Musicstack... Discogs is where i do all my online buying.

• Bought the only copy on discogs as well. Didn't dare to wait. But could need the spare

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Amazon and discogs killed Musicstack and GEMM. Most dealers I know have jumped ship from them and moved to Amazon.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I have used Gemm more than once and it's always worked fine. You can sometimes find things on there that aren't listed other places or for a better price, I've found, so it's usually worth checking. The whole way it looks does not inspire you with confidence but if something's cheap enough I'll take the risk.

I've even used that Todocoleccion website that is all in Spanish - I'm not afraid of anything in the internet! I like it when you find a whole page of records for sale in Korean or something, gonna need a strong googletranslate to be ordering anything from that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• PicklesPickles 67 Posts
    lots of good sites in Japan with some hot wax but the language can be a barrier..ie very big.. and a lot of them cant/wont understand or reply in english…a japanese girlfriend or friend would be def an advantage.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Pickles said:
    …a japanese girlfriend ... would be def an advantage.

:oh_my: