Marooned in Bristol, UK .. Halp

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited May 2015 in Strut Central
Hello all, we had a promoter pull the plug on a show this weekend leaving us with an entire 2 days and nights off in Bristol, UK.

Any suggestions? We have a car. Records, dealers, bars, etc

Let a chav know

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Sorry we'll be there Saturday Sunday and monday

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    If you justwannachill, go to airbnb and find a farmhouse/coachhouse on the coast and walk around for a few days. You will find antique/junk shops. Plus, pubs everywhere and the country is undergoing potentially radical political change this weekend. Should be fun.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dude, drive down to Cornwall and visit Tintagel castle. Place is mad spooky Camelot and Merlin vibes all over.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Bummer... the one weekend I'm not in Bristol. Flying back to Dublin to see my sister and her baby. Bristol is small. Pleasant enough to spend an afternoon and evening in... not much in the way of records though.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Portishead museum?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Deffo hit the coastline while you are in proximity. Everywhere is doable in a few hours from Brizzle. Might take you three days to understand the pirate chat, doe.

I guess you'll know Brighton. Surf scene is centred around Cornwall/Newquay, you can rent a board down Fistral Beach. Pembrokeshire Coast in Wales is also just a few hours away and is beautiful. Barafundle Bay and the like. All that neck of the wood is hella chill, splittie vibes and such.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Bristol is a great little city plenty to do there, though i haven't lived there in nearly a decade so I'm too out of touch to really recommend anything. Do you know John Stapleton? He's a pretty well known promoter and record guy in Bristol. I think he has a record stall in St Nick's Market which is right in the centre of town, he always use to post on the vg+ board so maybe hit him up on there.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    quick Google shows few things on that may be of interest. Mobb Deep are playing the Academy on Saturday night. The Watershed cinema/bar seem to be having a Black Power themed season right now. It kicked off with director Ava DuVernay's award-winning docu on the influential early 90s Los Angeles hip hop scene, shame you weren't around for that one. On Sunday it seems to be focusing on Angela Davis. There's also an open market in the centre of town on Saturday, I've never been but it might turn up some records.

More info - http://www.timeout.com/bristol/things-to-do-in-bristol-this-week
    & http://www.watershed.co.uk/whatson/season/329/come-the-revolution

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ketan said:
    You will find antique/junk shops.

I know Mike is particularly into Victorian British antique furniture, so this sounds like a winning plan.