Soul Strut 100: #19 - Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse

2»

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    cai said:
    pickwick33 said:
    LaserWolf said:
    I think the transformation from Gene McDaniels and 100 Pounds of Clay to Eugene McDaniels and Headless Heroes is one of the most abrupt and extreme career turn arounds.

...except that a few years passed between "Gene" and "Eugene," so I'm sure he slowly made his transformation in the years between.

Does 'Universal Jones' fit in this time? I can't remember the chronology.

Outlaw was 1970, Headless Heroes was '71, the album he cut with Universal Jones was from '72.

Then he resurfaced with an album on Ode ca. 1975 called Natural Juices that no one seems to talk about. (Any opinions?)

natural juices is the one i come back to most, thing is a goddamn masterpiece...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    he resurfaced with an album on Ode ca. 1975 called Natural Juices that no one seems to talk about. (Any opinions?)

natural juices is the one i come back to most, thing is a goddamn masterpiece...

Was he still in the protest bag by then?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    he was pretty much out of his protest bag but still sort of cynical, living high off of the publishing royalties for roberta's take on "feel's like making love". in fact, the album starts off with a tender but pretty much unnecessary version of FLML but it gets darker and more introspective. every song is about relationships and sex; no mention or reference to his former muse, susan jane. perhaps they were done at this point.

some sample lyrics from "honey, can you know what i mean?":

"honey, i love the legs you walk on and the feet they're connected to, you're freaky hair, your constant stare and the lies that you say are true. some bloodless kind of liquid keeps surging through my veins. you are my headless horseman tugging at my reigns. you are the demon in my consciousness, that makes my eye droop down, the music in my brain that makes my id and ego drown. sucking on the breast of eternity, my life rings true: she's part of me, he 's part of she and i'm a part of you. honey can you know what i mean? have you seen what i seen? someday you may be able to use it honey don't confuse it"

the players are the core group from the feels like making love album: idris at the centre, bob james playing rythmn rhodes and ill synths (his arp palying, in particular is notable), ralph mcdonald, etc... all playing at their peak. really tight, interesting band and ill arrangments.

as for eugene's voice, i would say this is the best singing he ever did, not only does he hit all the notes (never a guarantee with eugene) but it has this kinda soaring vibe in places. the version of "river" on this album is definitive for me.

I can;t find any tubes on youtube except FLML. anyhow, the record goes for like $10.00. please, pick it up and let me know what you think.