dumb accidental shit you do to your records

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I put the records in the wrong sleeve a lot when I play out - things get exciting, time is running out (especially during one-on-ones) and then the next time when I go to play an Al Campbell record because it's the perfect next track and I find a Maxine Brown in there instead, it's a huge drag and yet another scramble begins...

Also, hot rocks falling falling falling.....

(you know I don't mean crack right? I'm talking about hash)

• Also, hot rocks falling falling falling.....

(you know I don't mean crack right? I'm talking about hash)

Haha! That happens to me too!

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I accidentally stepped on a very expensive og Blue Note jazz lp in my basement, I may or may not have cried. lol

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Well this isn't anywhere near that level,

but it's that strange won't-fit-back-in-sleeve phenomena.
    You slide a record out of it's (custom) inner sleeve or cover, maybe not even all the way,
    and when you try to push it back into it's sleeve...
    IT WON'T FUCKING FIT ANYMORE!!

So I'll get all pissed and just force the fucker back in.

So yeah, basically I'm crying over splitting covers and inners.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I haven't done anything major, but I've done a lot of small shit, like holding down a record to read the label while it's spinning, which scuffs the flip.

Dropping the tonearm like a klutz and having the needle bounce off the record. Dropped stuff, stepped on stuff, split a seam trying to force a record back in.

Just general dumb or clumsy shit that I'll do every so often.

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    Being too drunk when mixing and ramming records back wherever (including jamming nude vinyl next to another), hungover clean-up the next day.
    Being too drunk and plain LEAVING records at venues (once had to evac at pace due to ex-related craziness, leaving a grip of favourite D&B and jungle behind the decks.)

Luckily I am older and wiser now and would never partake in such shenanigans (mostly).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    my old roommate once went on a Donovan kick and we both got really into the Gift from a Flower to a Garden box set he had picked up. One day I got home and found one of the records from the set missing a huge chunk, turns out my roommate had been a little tipsy (I think) and didn't notice the opening of the sleeve was facing down as he pulled one of the records out, so it just slowly rolled out and hit the floor on its edge, cracking instantly.

• maru said:
    i was trying to unwarp a record by hand one time and it just snapped in half

I did the same thing to "Move the Crowd" 12"....ughhhh. That haunted me for a while. I loved the 7 minute version of Paid in Full on the b side...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Water damage on a few record covers that came from a leaking air conditioner.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    plenty of spills from stacking piles of 45s precariously on bassy vibrating speaker boxes

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    When I was pretty young I had records all over the place on the floor beside my bed ect. One night I ate a whole bag of dill pickle chips before bed.. I woke up in the middle of the night and puked all over a stack of records standing up vertically. It smelled like the chips and was thick... Luckily all the records were thrift store finds... Cleaned them a bit, and back to the thrift store they go. Had no shame at the time lol.

The smell turned me off dill pickle chips for years.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've never seen a dill pickle chip, and I never hope to see one.

Cleaning an expensive styrene 45 with alcohol based cleaner.

Plus all the above, except puking on records, or eating dill pickled flavored chips.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I've never seen a dill pickle chip, and I never hope to see one.

Cleaning an expensive styrene 45 with alcohol based cleaner.

Plus all the above, except puking on records, or eating dill pickled flavored chips.

Dude they are really good though, is this a Canadian thing? Also we have ketchup chips here which are great but can be too much of a good thing sometimes. Red fingers, swollen tongue...

What does alcohol do to a record? Never tried, I'm imagining it would eat it away become all dull looking.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    A month or so back I was DJing at this place where I play a lot of disco (super gay crowd!). Anyway, I was talking to a friend and I whipped out a 12" and was about to put it on the plater when it slipped out of my hands and fell onto the floor. No damage... but guess what song it was?

Diana Ross -Upside Down

AND, I kid you not, but it was the wrong way up too. I couldn't make this stuff up.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    (super gay crowd!). Anyway, I was talking to a friend and I whipped out a 12"

:oh_my: