Another soundcloud thread aka 2015 beats thread

the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
I wasnt sure where to put this, so I started a new thread. Understandably this wont be to a lot of peoples tastes in The Strut, but if you are like me a working dj that does occasionally use digital media then this may interest you as all files are downloadable and despite the very basic cover art, the standard I found was quite high. I remixed the Stetsasonic track as I always wanted to hear it done in a different context, it didnt finish exactly how I wanted it to initially (I had actually intended to do a hard bop version, but I just couldnt get it to work). I avoided going for the overly compressed and clean sound (you can hear all the crackles from the record I sampled), bt I am fairly happy with how it worked out. Some of my friends also submitted some great remixes and edits, I hope you find something you enjoy.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yes, I jacked some photos from the Soul Strut photo thread...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    the_dL said:
    I wasnt sure where to put this, so I started a new thread. Understandably this wont be to a lot of peoples tastes in The Strut, but if you are like me a working dj that does occasionally use digital media then this may interest you as all files are downloadable and despite the very basic cover art, the standard I found was quite high. I remixed the Stetsasonic track as I always wanted to hear it done in a different context, it didnt finish exactly how I wanted it to initially (I had actually intended to do a hard bop version, but I just couldnt get it to work). I avoided going for the overly compressed and clean sound (you can hear all the crackles from the record I sampled), bt I am fairly happy with how it worked out. Some of my friends also submitted some great remixes and edits, I hope you find something you enjoy.

I few Sydney heads that I DJ with on the regular were involved in this!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Kinetic said:

I few Sydney heads that I DJ with on the regular were involved in this!

The line up was great, some of the guys I had heard of before (I remember seeing dj soup at a gig here in 1994!!!! and have always liked his production), and some of the guys I hadnt but I have been getting heaps of value out of this at gigs lately.

HarveyCanal said:
    Yes, I jacked some photos from the Soul Strut photo thread...

Loved the first and 3rd beats!!
    First has a portishead/trip hop feel and the 3rd has a great library/cop vibe!

Last night I had intended to make a jazz mix and was looking for something as an intro when I put this record on forgetting what it was, when I heard the sample I thought I needed to do a Takeover remix over that. It turns out the tempo is very similar, 12 hours (in between cooking and looking after the children, I cam up with this.

also for those too lazy to search through the above playlist here is my remix of All That Jazz, there is a free download link too.

• Got a new setup and changed up my working method a bit. Sequenced in Ableton using Kontakt/Reaktor/Battery and a handful of plugins. No samples to speak of, all the drums are VST (which I was always wary of in the past, but with the right effects on them I'm happy these days) as are the other bits.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

a quick compilation of 3 beats from a few months back

• Freddie Gibbs, Your Old Droogm Roc Marci, TREE, & WestSide Gunn

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Delay said:

I enjoyed that a lot man, thanks for sharing

• Enjoyed quite a bit of these. Lots of talent on this board. Havent worked on anything in ages but found myself at home after a operation about 2 months back and worked on this on headphones. Not really finished but whatever.

http://jmp.sh/v/qkJaTYIAJlDtdpSCuACq

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    KidProcrass said:
    Not really finished but whatever.

http://jmp.sh/v/qkJaTYIAJlDtdpSCuACq

Tell the dude that [strong]Dr[/strong] Spock was a guy who wrote books giving parents advice on how to look after new born babies. [strong]Mr[/strong] Spock was that guy who did car commercials and a pop song about Bilbo Baggins.

the_dL said:
    also for those too lazy to search through the above playlist here is my remix of All That Jazz, there is a free download link too.

This is really good. I have a particular friend who loves this song and is going to flip when he hears this.

HarveyCanal said:

This is really good. I have a particular friend who loves this song and is going to flip when he hears this.

Thanks!

Another jacked Soul Strut photo...

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    I did an edit! My first one, up on soundcloud for free download

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    I am slowly uploading back catalog stuff to my bandcamp, heres some electro / house and 136 / 138 bpm stuff...
    (not up on soundcloud yet)
    https://rqnz.bandcamp.com/

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    johnblack said:
    I am slowly uploading back catalog stuff to my bandcamp, heres some electro / house and 136 / 138 bpm stuff...
    (not up on soundcloud yet)
    https://rqnz.bandcamp.com/

Really nice!

I've been doing some remixes from time to time with a good friend. I heard SC is removing remixes left and right though, so no idea how long this will remain online.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

I've been working on this for the last couple days. Not sure if it's done, gonna come back to it.

edit: Made some changes plus a wurlitzer lead

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Beatsoup said:

I've been working on this for the last couple days. Not sure if it's done, gonna come back to it.

Let's hear it with the wurli!

Beatsoup said:

Wow! Amazing work there.

HarveyCanal said:
    Beatsoup said:

Wow! Amazing work there.

Today i did something different and made a beat and then a video to accompany it...

Grimey!

jammy said:

Let's hear it with the wurli!
    Oh I updated the link the other day. At 2:40 the wurlitzer takes the lead and trades back n forth with the guitar soloing. It used to be just guitar, variety helps I think.

HarveyCanal said:

Wow! Amazing work there.
    Thanks Harvey!

jammy said:
    Today i did something different and made a beat and then a video to accompany it...

Grimey!

This is cool, dig the video and the beat. I like the tuned percussion stuff in the sample, sounds like a talking drum. I feel like some deep bass could help this beat, 808 or subish synth bass on the one count.

Beatsoup said:
    jammy said:

Grimey!

I feel like some deep bass could help this beat, 808 or subish synth bass on the one count.

Funny you should mention that. I played around with a long 808 kick and then a sub tone but couldn't get it right and then gave up. Maybe i'll give it another go. Thanks for the feedback!

New jam with video playing lead guitar. Might cut this shorter/ produce it more later.

• Beatsoup said:

Nice!