Top crazy expensive psychedelic rock records that also have dope breaks?

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
It's funny I've always loved psych rock ever since I inherited my dad's records as a kid (Iron Butterfly,Lovin Spoonful,LOVE,The Seeds etc)
So when I started beat digging back in the late 80's I generally grabbed lots of rock records to listen to for heavy drums, along with the usual soul/funk/jazz etc .
The problem was even back then there were some Holy Grail collectible psych record monsters that had a drum break I had to have, but were crazy expensive. Records like Fuzzy Duck,Q65,D.R. Hooker,Churchills etc.
Eventually I lucked out and found some cheap at thrift stores, record shows with clueless dealers etc, but there were others I just gave up on. I never spent more than $200 on any of my psych albums.

Comments

• It's the genre that always did it most for me, too. I got into music via hip-hop and into older music by discovering samples that had been used in hip-hop tracks (like mostly everyone else of my age probably did) but when I started finding psych, prog & kraut rock records that had been sampled I ended up actually liking the whole of the albums too, not just the few seconds that had been lifted to make beats with. I know it's unpopular to say around here, but I never liked jazz or soul per se, just specific eras or artists. Funk I had more time for - the dirtier the better - but the dark moodiness of heavy psych rock really stood out as being far more interesting to my ears than anything else I'd happened upon. I've got too many kids and responsibilities to be spending over $200 on any record (unless it was pressing a gang of my own up) so I've only got the records I found in the wild - United States of America, Fifty Foot Hose etc. Relatively obvious stuff.

I tried to raid my parents collection but the best I scored was a Pierre Henry record. Dope, but not exactly a haul...

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Exactly! I love soul and funk too and have more than I'll ever want or need, but I always loved the heavy plate reverb drum breaks on 60's-early 70's psych rock records (Power of Zeus,Bit-a-Sweet,Vanilla Fudge) Also just the myriad of weird keyboard sounds,keys (Hammond,Moog) wild fuzz guitars,heavy bass lines.
    Just look at "Who sampled" and you'll be surprised to find that many of the top hip hop producers of all time sampled just as many rock records as soul/funk.

Do you have an original Fifty Foot Hose on Limelight? That record alluded me for years until I finally found one up in Vancouver BC at a book store/record shop. Mine is the Canadian press.

I'd say some of my most valuable psych rock originals with breaks would be Power of Zeus,Q65,The Listening,Twilight,New Tweedy Brothers

• no man, I got a European pressing from some time in the 80s I think. It's sort of Limelight, but it's not the original US issue. Just checked, in fact - Discogs reckons it's Greek.

I'd rather hear the likes of Fifty Foot Hose, Os Mutantes, Silver Apples, United States of America, Can, Ultimate Spinach etc. than any soul, jazz or funk records you could care to name.

With you 100% heavy plate reverbed drums, weird keyboard sounds, wild fuzz guitar and heavy bass lines - that's the perfect recipe for music, the way I see/hear it!

• Keep an eye out for the Savage Resurrection LP and the two by Aum.

LazarusOblong said:
    Keep an eye out for the Savage Resurrection LP and the two by Aum.

Pretty sure I have Aum-Resurrection, don't remember it very well I think both of those are SF bands. Some other psych monsters with breaks are Fuzzy Duck UK,Twilight-st Norway?Edge,Sir Lord Baltimore,The Millenium,D.R. Hooker,Fraction,The End,Chocolate Watch Band

This $10,000 psych rock record has a sick drum break, and some other crazy samples.
    Good luck finding it though only 50 were pressed lol

http://www.popsike.com/Dark-Dark-Around-The-Edges-Vinyl-Album-1972/110719957498.html

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    This $10,000 psych rock record has a sick drum break, and some other crazy samples.

http://www.popsike.com/Dark-Dark-Around-The-Edges-Vinyl-Album-1972/110719957498.html

It's a classic UK prog album, not psych. But I digress. This album has been known about and highly collectible for decades. Skip any thought of ever trying to own an original copy, but definitely pick up one of the superb legit re-issues. They're incredibly well done, presented with nice heavy card stock, quality audio etc.

Yes it's technically out of the mid to late 60's"psych rock" era being 1973, but it has some fuzz moments closer to some trippy psych records than Genesis. lol

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Also for only having a supposed only 50 copies pressed in 1973 I swear I've seen quite a few of them for sale over the years for the big $$$. So I'm thinking someone probably bootlegged it long ago. If it was a private pressing would not be too hard to duplicate the original. I'm guessing someone probably found one at a boot sale at one time though. If I can find a Lou Ragland's Hot Chocolate original lp for a dollar anything is possible lol

Jesse DeVille said:
    djtopcat said:

It's a classic UK prog album, not psych. But I digress. This album has been known about and highly collectible for decades. Skip any thought of ever trying to own an original copy, but definitely pick up one of the superb legit re-issues. They're incredibly well done, presented with nice heavy card stock, quality audio etc.