Pacquiao--Mayweather

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
should be entertaining...

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Money May is too skilled for Manny who, in turn, tends to be very defensively irresponsible. From the 5th round on, Mayweather will walk Pacquaio down, stopping him via TKO in the 9th round (after knocking him down with a counter punch). This fight will not be as competitive as casual boxing fans think.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• As much as I am looking forward to the fight, I still have a lot of frustration that these two are meeting up for their second or even third fight. Hope it is at least somewhere near the expectations of Boxing fans.

I can't see anything other than a Mayweather win. He is the most intelligent boxer in the ring since Ali/Leonard.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    At the rate boxing is going I could really care less who wins/loses... There is just waaaaay too much money, corruption, and greed involved nowadays. The shit is almost as predictable and theatrical as WWF. The under cards often times are more thrilling to watch than the main events.

I'm a fan of Pacquiao and his quirky aggressive style of fighting but the only way I see him winning this fight is by TKO. I anticipate paying way too much money to watch Mayweather duck his way to another 12 round decision.

Although I also wouldn't be surprised if Manny won (via decision) so that they could have Manny v Floyd pt2 and pt 3... #$£€¥

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Money May is too skilled for Manny who, in turn, tends to be very defensively irresponsible. From the 5th round on, Mayweather will walk Pacquaio down, stopping him via TKO in the 9th round (after knocking him down with a counter punch). This fight will not be as competitive as casual boxing fans think.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Has Mayweather ever been knocked down before? I think another aspect that might be overlooked is the fact that he can take punches. Even if he did, he recovers very quickly.

I'll be rooting for Manny and the upset though.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I stopped watching boxing about 10 years ago because MMA is way more excititng.

That said, I think this fight took way to long to happen, and Manny isn't as good as he was a few years ago.

I'm not suggesting Manny would've won had they fought sooner, but I think it would've been a better fight.

Floyd by a controversial UD, which will lead to a second fight, and Manny loses that one as well and announces his retirement in-ring after his second UD loss.

• While I don't mind watching certain MMA fighters, I won't ever enjoy it as much as Boxing.
    No competition.

• It'll be a Mayweather UD probably.

I got fed up hearing about this fight before it was even announced. 2015 has been a good year for the sport so far and should continue. Many people act like this is the only one talking about.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Has Mayweather ever been knocked down before? I think another aspect that might be overlooked is the fact that he can take punches. Even if he did, he recovers very quickly.

Yes Yuichi, he was knocked down early in his career. He has also stunned guys in the ring who were nearly 20 pounds heavier than him on fight night (e.g., Cotto, Maidana). People are underestimating the impact of Mayweather's size advantage. Manny has to take risks to land against the best counter puncher and most skilled defender in boxing. Those factors don't bode well for Pacquiao.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Seems like near universal agreement that Manny has no hope. So my question is, what angle does Manny and his team see? Or after they just looking for a last big payout?

(Stacks, I am that casual boxing fan... I used to watch a lot when I was a teen but haven't really kept up since then.)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    This fight definitely should have happened years ago. It's unfortunate that the Tim Bradley upset (where Pacquaio clearly won) came into play dragging out this match up also. Boxing is corrupt like that though. If it goes to decision you never know how it will go.

ketan said:
    Seems like near universal agreement that Manny has no hope. So my question is, what angle does Manny and his team see? Or after they just looking for a last big payout?

(Stacks, I am that casual boxing fan... I used to watch a lot when I was a teen but haven't really kept up since then.)

Hey Ketan,

The simple answer is that Manny Pacquiao has ran out of compelling, big-money fights. To be technical, so has Floyd Mayweather. All they basically have is each other as a resource to make huge money.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yes Yuichi, he was knocked down early in his career. He has also stunned guys in the ring who were nearly 20 pounds heavier than him on fight night (e.g., Cotto, Maidana). People are underestimating the impact of Mayweather's size advantage. Manny has to take risks to land against the best counter puncher and most skilled defender in boxing. Those factors don't bode well for Pacquiao.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Maybe due to his size and technicality, but I thought De La Hoya did a good job doubling up on the jab and landing body shots through 6 rounds. Closest I've seen (didn't see vs Mosley) to Mayweather being semi out-boxed.

yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    yuichi said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Maybe due to his size and technicality, but I thought De La Hoya did a good job doubling up on the jab and landing body shots through 6 rounds. Closest I've seen (didn't see vs Mosley) to Mayweather being semi out-boxed.

Hey Yuichi,

Also, Zab Judah had a good first 5 rounds against Floyd. Yet, Floyd adjusted and spanked his ass for the rest of the fight. I'd say Judah was the most technically-similar fighter he has faced. Concerning Mayweather vs. Mosley, Shane hurt Floyd twice in the 2nd round. After that, Floyd walked him down and beat him up en route to a lopsided, unanimous decision.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

11 days until the fight is supposed to take place...

-no contract has been signed
    -no tickets have been printed or sold
    and
    -it now appears there is a disagreement between the term sheet and contract

sounds like what we've been hearing the past 5 years

rain103 said:
    11 days until the fight is supposed to take place...

-no contract has been signed
    -no tickets have been printed or sold
    and
    -it now appears there is a disagreement between the term sheet and contract

sounds like what we've been hearing the past 5 years

ketan said:
    should be entertaining...

• I'm glad someone brought up that Bradley fight. No way in hell he won that. All said though, I think Pac will have his work cut out for him. He's had at least a dozen more professional fights and those all take a toll.. While I respect Floyd's skill I'd love for Pac to put him on the canvas but not sure he's got that much in him to deliver that sort of punishment. Pac has been so refreshing for the sport.. gonna miss seeing him hang up the gloves..

VeryGoodPlusPlus said:
    I'm glad someone brought up that Bradley fight. No way in hell he won that. All said though, I think Pac will have his work cut out for him. He's had at least a dozen more professional fights and those all take a toll.. While I respect Floyd's skill I'd love for Pac to put him on the canvas but not sure he's got that much in him to deliver that sort of punishment. Pac has been so refreshing for the sport.. gonna miss seeing him hang up the gloves..

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    mayweather could surpass rocky Marciano as longest undefeated in two fights
    i respect his weightclass stuff and even as a douche in real life he is a prodigy in the ring
    BUT
    he will never be in the same realm as the greats event though his accomplishements should land him there because he DUCKED paquiao in his prime...this fight now is inconsequetial

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    When I met Mayweather he was really nice. It surprised me given how cocky he is on the camera after every fight. The day I met him he was buying shoes for 50 needy kids. He double checked the list as his assistants pulled shoes to make sure that every kid on the list was getting the size they needed.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    from the look of those shelves those kids aren't coming up on jordans....

staxwax said:
    from the look of those shelves those kids aren't coming up on jordans....

It was the Adidas Outlet store in Vegas.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    [strong]Scenarios[/strong]

Most likely scenario: Mayweather by decision...takes 7+ rounds. Uses the rare opportunity of fighting someone smaller than him with a shorter reach and just does what he does...forces folks to fight his fight....shoulder roll, dodging perfection, frustration mounts, takes his shots, etc etc (this is the scenario I'd be willing to bet on)

Second most likely scenario was laid out perfectly by Stacks:

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

3rd Scenario is that Pacquiao looks at the blue print laid out by Mosely/Mayweather round 2 and the successes that Maidana had over Mayweather in his first fight with him (and incorporates that into his game) to get a split decision victory over Mayweather...Mayweather will have to make some serious mistakes for that to happen.

[strong]Thoughts about the making of this fight..[/strong]

This didn't necessarily take forever to happen because anyone was ducking anyone. This took forever to happen mainly because of business. The vast majority of fights are made within the same fighting promotions company (Top Rank guys fight Top Rank guys, Golden Boy v Golden Boy etc) because the company doesn't have to split winnings between another company and if their star loses to another person within the camp then that fighter can then be the new number one (investments protected, losses minimized)...it's really simple business; albeit very unfortunate and one of the reasons boxing is on it's death bed. When Floyd's Team Money company struck out entirely on their own, that changed things a bit....but it's still pretty much business as usual (regarding the fighting promo companies only fight their own).

[strong]Why this fight will be entertaining regardless[/strong]

The question will be answered and I have a feeling this actually will be an exciting fight even for the casual fan who otherwise doesn't give a shit about boxing...if they pay attention.

To folks saying its happening too late...it isn't that bad. Look to Roy Jones/Bernard Hopkins II that took for fucking ever and it was a completely irrelevant fight by that point....this isn't too late at all.

This fight is very very very far from an irrelevant fight...both fighters have gas in the tank and would/will beat the breaks off of virtually anyone else in the game right now (young or old).

Between this and the Clips/Spurs game 7....I'm hype as hell about tomorrow.

That undercard tho...

[strong]Scenarios[/strong]

Most likely scenario: Mayweather by decision...takes 7+ rounds. Uses the rare opportunity of fighting someone smaller than him with a shorter reach and just does what he does...forces folks to fight his fight....shoulder roll, dodging perfection, frustration mounts, takes his shots, etc etc (this is the scenario I'd be willing to bet on)

Second most likely scenario was laid out perfectly by Stacks:

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

3rd Scenario is that Pacquiao looks at the blue print laid out by Mosely/Mayweather round 2 and the successes that Maidana had over Mayweather in his first fight with him (and incorporates that into his game) to get a split decision victory over Mayweather...Mayweather will have to make some serious mistakes for that to happen.

[strong]Thoughts about the making of this fight..[/strong]

This didn't necessarily take forever to happen because anyone was ducking anyone. This took forever to happen mainly because of business. The vast majority of fights are made within the same fighting promotions company (Top Rank guys fight Top Rank guys, Golden Boy v Golden Boy etc) because the company doesn't have to split winnings between another company and if their star loses to another person within the camp then that fighter can then be the new number one (investments protected, losses minimized)...it's really simple business; albeit very unfortunate and one of the reasons boxing is on it's death bed. When Floyd's Team Money company struck out entirely on their own, that changed things a bit....but it's still pretty much business as usual (regarding the fighting promo companies only fight their own).

[strong]Why this fight will be entertaining regardless[/strong]

The question will be answered and I have a feeling this actually will be an exciting fight even for the casual fan who otherwise doesn't give a shit about boxing...if they pay attention.

To folks saying its happening too late...it isn't that bad. Look to Roy Jones/Bernard Hopkins II that took for fucking ever and it was a completely irrelevant fight by that point....this isn't too late at all.

This fight is very very very far from an irrelevant fight...both fighters have gas in the tank and would/will beat the breaks off of virtually anyone else in the game right now (young or old).

Between this and the Clips/Spurs game 7....I'm hype as hell about tomorrow.

Good shit on this run down. Particularly about the promotion companies...didn't know a lot of that shit.

Go Pacquiao. Would be exciting to see an upset.

Mayweather is near flawless though.

• Not sure you could even call this an undercard.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Missed the fight and game 7 because Charter cable shit the bed hard right before the first undercard. What a fuckin' bust...

I can see how Pac lost, but he had some great rounds.

Mayweather is a turrribly unexciting champion. Surely that's not the greatest boxer of all time.