Hey Brits: Thoughts on These 90s Albums.

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Love the first, but don't really know the second apart from the hits. I guess I'd be expected to like the third because I'm from Liverpool, but The La's kind of missed me a little bit. Never really got on board with the hype. Some good songs, though.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No, no and a qualified yes.

There's an aura and mystique around the band and a few of the La's tracks that still send tingles.
    Half the tracks are a bit meh tho'.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts

*There She Goes is like, "Where the f*ck did [em]that[/em] come from?"

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    We used to have a policy at my old day gig where folks took it in turn to play a CD of their choice all the way through whilst "Work"-stylings got done. There were about 10 of us and it actually worked pretty well - hipped me to some genuinely good music from names that I'd previously considered too big to warrant any worth. Some folls took it real serious and did complilations on a theme, like songs about space, songs about places, etc.

I think that's the only thing I miss about that job. That and my fucking royalties.

But yo, as resident curmudgeon and jazz-snob, I was of course doing my best to finger-crucifix most Brit-R output from this era (Post Rock/Britpop/Shoegaze), but for some reason the "Alive-Richie" Manics sets got a pass. I'd thought it was all self-harm and guyliner, but can't front on "Motorcycle Emptiness" and dem.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Wasn't listening to Brit guitar bands in the '90s, so I can't really comment, other than to agree with

*There She Goes is like, "Where the f*ck did [em]that[/em] come from?"

Aside from Nirvana & RATM, I was into rave, jungle, hip-hop, electronica/trip-hop stuff. Liked Radiohead as they were sort-of-from my hometown, but the guitarist did buy the Zodiac and kept it as a respectable music venue for many years, so extra props for that, paid their dues yadda yadda.

• Wick wick wack.

• i played this out pretty hard.

no buenos?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Better than all 3 of those...

• almost all of the stuff in this vein that came out of the UK in the 90s lacked any discernible traces of a groove whatsoever. maybe I'm blinkered, but it all seemed to be made by people who actively went out of their way to ensure that the rhythm section played as little part in the music as possible. obvious really, but I was always a lot more interested in Andy Weatherall's work with Primal Scream and the like, but, as a teenager surrounded by the groove-less stuff named above, what's not to like about dub-inspired music that samples Can?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Loosely related, but if you are going to throw in Primal Scream...each of the Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Happy Mondays, Inspiral Carpets, and even Ride added all sorts of groove to the Byrds-ing around style of the time. Here's Where the Story Ends by the Sundays had a nice groove to it, as did What You Do To Me by Teenage Fanclub in their Big Star sort of way. Honestly, I thought groove was purposefully one of the main facets of this style of music.

• Maybe I'm mistaken, it's been a long time since I heard these particular records. Teenage Fanclub reminded me of a group of kids brought up entirely on Status Quo - "What You Do To Me" especially

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Sorry... maybe I should have prefaced this thread better.

These are 90s British alt rock records that I absolutely love.

The TFC album is very Big Star influenced... I like Big Star. The Sunday's record is not one of there most revered, but it's a very deep, poignant release which I always go to when I want to reflect / chill.... and the La's.... "There She Goes" is one of my favorite power pop tunes ever.

Carry on.

• Pete Sasqwax said:
    Maybe I'm mistaken, it's been a long time since I heard these particular records. Teenage Fanclub reminded me of a group of kids brought up entirely on Status Quo - "What You Do To Me" especially

i'm really good friends with francis rossi's daughter by the way. it's amazing how much attention she gets on trip to the UK.

stat quo has basically ZERO following in north america.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Pete Sasqwax said:
    Maybe I'm mistaken, it's been a long time since I heard these particular records. Teenage Fanclub reminded me of a group of kids brought up entirely on Status Quo - "What You Do To Me" especially

i'm really good friends with francis rossi's daughter by the way. it's amazing how much attention she gets on trip to the UK.

Yes... because they suck ;) Their "hits" are forgettable.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

'There She Goes' was the only decent studio recording they did. This live CD is the best/only way to enjoy the rest of their catalogue.

• vintageinfants said:

They were always massively popular over here, for some reason. Like the Hasselhoff in Germany thing. I dunno. Maybe such things can never be understood.

This always made me laugh though:

"50 years of Quo and still no fourth chord"