Daredevil on Netflix

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
My son just told me about this new Netflix series. Netflix signed up for I think 3 Marvel series and this is the first one to come out. There are 6 episodes. I just started watching the first one. Not bad so far.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Watched the first two last night. So far not bad.

• I rather enjoyed it, they went out of their way to try and capture the grit of hells kitchen, and in this day in age where everything in NYC isn't as cool as it once was, it was shot really well. It's written really well, and the villains are all good. The asian lady is coooooold as ice.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There's actually 13 not 6 episodes up. Didn't scroll down! Half way through. I'm a bit mixed on the show. The story telling is good but drags a bit at times. Maybe it's the kid in me as well, but Daredevil should show up more than once per episode for better pacing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This is the shit. Ive been anticipating this for a minute to see how it works.

Were entered the second stage of this Marvel TV/Film shit, and theyve realized that going to cable is the way to really represent the genre.
    That Smallville CW demographic is cool but its for casuals( girls and non comic heads).
    I like Arrow & Flash but its still stuck to the Dawson's Creek steez. Marvel Agents of SHIELD is wack on ABC, no matter how much its tied into the MCU.

Daredevil is taking its time giving the characters decent depth w/ good slow pacing.
    The fighting is very well choreographed, and he has to work to take out his opponents(taking cues from The Bourne Identity, which still casts a long shadow on modern fighting).
    The Kingpin played by Full Metal Jacket crazy dude is killin. He's not a super cocky villain. I like his slight unassured demeanor, especially w/ Vanessa.
    Matt Murdock is done well, and Rosario Dawson is rockin her usual tuff+vulnerable NY chic steez.

BUT....as Daredevil continues to get modernized for a new generation, i think the father as an amateur boxer thing is getting dated. That shit was cool for the 60-80s, but that industry seems to be dated, and any modern day fighter would be dabbling in the Universal Fighting whatever Game, that generates more money. Its supposed to be tied to the Mafia & Gambling. The underground Boxing thing isnt what it used to be. All im saying is that the backstory w/ his father can still remain but Boxing, which i get as the traditional blue-collar Irish tuff guy thang, feels antiquated in 2015.

Cant wait for Power Man/Luke Cage & Iron Fist.

Iron Fist!!!!

Doubt they will update Iron Fist however meaning he's still going to be a white guy.

Batmon

Totally agree. I've tried watching SHIELD several times but it just doesn't deliver. Being on Network TV means that they're aiming at kids and families, and can only do so much. Cable or in this case Netflix is the only way they can really bring a comic book character like Daredevil to life.

It can be too brutal at times.

• Come on. Iron Fist always sucked. Stupid yellow kerchief, named "Danny," gimmicky power. I liked Luke Cage and felt sorry for him when they stuck him with the Hero Most Likely To Get Fibromyalgia.

Thumbs up to the Harry Bosch series on Amazon with long-underused Titus Welliver.

Nah..Iron Fist is cool.

Daredevil is their street level Batman type dude.
    Luke Cage will be the Brotherman steez.
    Iron Fist can bring the Kung-Fu supernatural angle to that brand so its not just "all-street".

I hope they reference the Power Man & Iron Fist Blaxploitation shit from the 70's. Or kinda bring a little Tarrentino-esque flavor to it.

And maybe theyll bring Misty Knight and Colleen Wing into the mix.

I also wanna see Scarlett Johasson do Black Widow on Daredevil after or during Elektra.

As a kid growing up this was my shit

Also finished all the Daredevil episodes. Two dragged too much but still generally satisfied with the series. The guy playing Kingpin was excellent. Even when he tried to be soft with his girlfriend he had menace in his voice and attitude.

• I keep thinking of these two whenever he is in Matt Murdoch mode.

• motown67 said:
    As a kid growing up this was my shit

I had that, too. I'd forgotten the Sons of the Tiger. Jeezus. Why does the black guy have enormous breasts?

9/10

Capt. America: The Winter Soldier, The Avengers, Iron Man, The Guardians of The Galaxy.....Daredevil.

Gotta say having some time to think and reflect upon the series Kingpin stole the show. I can't think of any better word to describe him than menacing. NO matter what the situation or setting you could just feel his power and how dangerous the man was coming through the screen.

And now a spoiler alert. So the guy at the end of the season who makes Daredevil's suit. Before he puts down the box with the suit in it there is a draft plan of a hacksaw.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Liking this show a lot so far, it helps that I know nothing about the character. I'm into comics and the movies but never tried him out. I like that he has to struggle in the fights and they are well choreographed. On episode 4 right now. Afraid to read this thread...

Pretty happy to see Rosario in this

Babe. Didn't like to see her get beat up...

Also the secretary is nice. Babes help any show.

Beatsoup said:
    Babes help any show.

Not the ones on Arrow. The writing for alot of the females are terrible. CW shit.

• I think the secretary goes from looking pretty to looking rough. Often.

badder_than_evil said:
    I think the secretary goes from looking pretty to looking rough. Often.

I like her height.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    I think the secretary goes from looking pretty to looking rough. Often.

She's pretty hawt in True Blood.

Overall I really liked Daredevil... I wished Kingpin was a bit more animated. But I'm was totally wanting more at the end.