What record are you the most ashamed to have in your collection?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited April 2015 in Strut Central
Which record do you keep on that bottom row in the very corner, spine pushed in so people need to really make an effort to identify?

For some reason, i am pretty embarrassed by the fact that i own the following:

3 quantity Dr Who picture discs (hold overs from my very first pre-teen obsessision)
The first 5 Aerosmith reocrds (is there really an excuse for these?)
GNR Appetite OG Rorbert Wilson cover & Faster Pussycat self titled
Any Tangerine Dream / Frosse related lps

Comments

• You're ashamed to own Appetite? Dude... I mean, that album is a classic.

Lighten up.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    I've ended up w triples of a ton of 80s pop records from picking up boxes of records on the street etc. I'd get rid of some but what if I want to beat juggle a dope Linda ronstat break someday that I haven't found yet. You know, in case my tastes really change. And I'll need the third copy to get a clean sample.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Of course now that I learned AOR collecting is the next big thing, I'm thinking my chud pile might be a goldmine.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    deezlee said:
    I've ended up w triples of a ton of 80s pop records from picking up boxes of records on the street etc. I'd get rid of some but what if I want to beat juggle a dope Linda ronstat break someday that I haven't found yet. You know, in case my tastes really change. And I'll need the third copy to get a clean sample.

This.
    And Greatest Hits lps.
    I at one time had 3 copies of Hall and Oats greatest hits.
    I think i also have a Steely Dan 2 lp greatest hits set that i am not particuliarly proud of...but hey, i'm not bringing my mint OG Aja out to play Black Cow.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    John Mayer's Room For Squares.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    When my ex-GF left me she took most of her records but left some real garbage water behind including Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife and a couple of terrible Cheap Trick records.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm ashamed of a good third of my collection.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    asstro said:
    When my ex-GF left me she took most of her records but left some real garbage water behind including Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife

That, as they say, is going to leave a mark.

For me, it simply cannot be more embarrassing than my beloved album, The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby, is but a humble repress. If you are looking to move an O.G., I'm as yet in the market and available on P.M.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    asstro said:
    When my ex-GF left me she took most of her records but left some real garbage water behind including Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife and a couple of terrible Cheap Trick records.

Just set those aside in another room or something. Just cause it's in the house doesn't mean it should be Filed With The Collection.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    As for me...

Two Stevie Ray Vaughan albums I bought when I was a teenager. Haven't played them since the early 90s, at least. He was a talented guy, and I still have a grain of respect for the man, but my tastes have gone through a few paradigm shifts since then. What sounded refreshing in the 80s sounds like bad blooze-rock now. I know I should trash these albums, or at least replace them with CD copies, yet and still...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The new Ace Lover 7". Bought it from him yesterday remembering the old 2for5 stuff only to be super disappointed. Will leave the collection asap. If somebody wants it, holler.

white_tea said:
    asstro said:
    When my ex-GF left me she took most of her records but left some real garbage water behind including Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife

That, as they say, is going to leave a mark.

For me, it simply cannot be more embarrassing than my beloved album, The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby, is but a humble repress. If you are looking to move an O.G., I'm as yet in the market and available on P.M.

Who among us is NOT ashamed of thier represses....the roller blades of the record collecting world?

We are all ashamed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not ashamed of a single record in my collection and have no issue whatsoever owning represses in lieu of originals.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Not ashamed of a single record in my collection and have no issue whatsoever owning represses in lieu of originals.

I have no problem with owning reissues, but I will admit to being embarrassed about a lot of the terrible indie rap I have from the late 90's. Not as bad as the Bryan Adams record, but probably harder to get rid of too.

HarveyCanal said:

• Tairrie B - Murder She Wrote

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I suppose Stormtroopers of Death - 'Speak English Or Die' LP

Love the music. Ashamed of some of the lyrics. I got it for free if that makes it any better.

Mosh!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    badder_than_evil said:
    Tairrie B - Murder She Wrote
    Yes, yes you should

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Fattburger. All of it. Grooveless elevator noodlings hitting your soul with the weight of a shadow.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I wouldn't say embarrassed but i do feel that my two Elvis Presley gospel records are my guilty pleasure.

• Got rid of most of the crap last year. Not ashamed by this record but i doubt many here would ride. I Have a real soft spot for this version especially.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Skynyrd - flame cover

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Rusty Warren's humor is cornier than pig shit compared to the alternatives of the era and there's no redeeming musical/sample value, but I like the cover.