How do you like your eggs? (ER)

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
Once on a cross country trip, every morning one of us would order over easy, the other over medium, to see if the cook would make them any different.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Devilled.

But fuck that for a game of soldiers, they're too fiddly for breakfast. Scrambled when I can be arsed, boiled when I can't.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Usually go with the over medium.

Just tried crispy style, though, which was a bit of a game changer. Drop an egg into a shallow bath of hot oil and let it cook sunny-side up. Bottom and edges get nice n crispy, whilst yolk remains runny. Place over salad, noodles, etc.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Just tried crispy style, though, which was a bit of a game changer. Drop an egg into a shallow bath of hot oil and let it cook sunny-side up. Bottom and edges get nice n crispy, whilst yolk remains runny. Place over salad, noodles, etc.

yeah dude, the crispy fried egg compliments just about any meal. Goes great with rice and beans or on top of a bowl of chili.

I also like the ace in the hole, where you dig out the center of a thick slice of sourdough bread, put the bread on a griddle with some butter and crack an egg into the hole.

b/w

this immediately sprang to my mind when I saw the title of the thread:

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Over easy... Mad runny yoke to be sopped up with toast.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    RAJ said:

Same. That's how I had em as a kid.
    When I hit my late teens, I shifted to scrambled, and just a few years after that, I oddly found runny yolk to be somewhat repulsive.

I've gone back to over easy a few years ago and love dipping my toast in that tasty yellow mess. I now find scrambled flavourless and kinda gross.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Poached. But that takes some time and needs to be mastered.

I also enjoy smooth and buttery scrambled eggs from time to time.

• parallax said:
    RAJ said:

Same. That's how I had em as a kid.
    When I hit my late teens, I shifted to scrambled, and just a few years after that, I oddly found runny yolk to be somewhat repulsive.

I've gone back to over easy a few years ago and love dipping my toast in that tasty yellow mess. I now find scrambled flavourless and kinda gross.

Pretty much the same except sometimes i crave scrambled eggs. The trick is to know how to cook them. I pretty much follow his technique except sometimes ill switch creme fraiche for greek yogurt and add some cheese or crab flavored pollock.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    pickled eggs, eggs over easy, eggs sunny side up, poached eggs, omelettes, scrambled, quiche, hollandaise, stuffed...fuck it, eggs are egg-cellent yo! I am down.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    over eazy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    over easy but lately i'm converted to what my old indian dad does. (aging-r)

he fries up some chopped tomato and onion in a pan and then cracks an egg over top with lots of salt and pepper, fresh coriander and chopped green chili. you have to really crisp it up quickly and then get it off the heat to leave a runny yolk.

• ketan said:

he fries up some chopped tomato and onion in a pan and then cracks an egg over top with lots of salt and pepper, fresh coriander and chopped green chili. you have to really crisp it up quickly and then get it off the heat to leave a runny yolk.

Thats sounds pretty damn good! My girlfriend introduced me to white rice with a fried egg, soya sauce and some chillie peppers. Delicious!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Century eggs

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    P.O.A.C.H.E.D.
    otherwise, creamy scramble.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Eggs can do no wrong for I at the mo.

Sk*l and dem know my Dorian Gray steez comes at the expense of dietways that a civilised mind may consider folly. I was once diagnosed with high cholesterol and so was in a routine of porridge, flax and a punnet of blueberries every morning, but it's a lot of calories and pretty expensive to be honest. But it did work and my stats are now magic.

I decided that protein-based breakfasts were the way to go and I love eggs in any egg-way, 'cept fried. But as I am up and out long before the rest of the family and have neither the time in my day or the love in my heart to clean up after myself, I need a quick and simple approach.

To this end, I now have a raw organic egg in a kids Ikea cup. Top up halfway with skimmed milk and sprinkle with turmeric. Mix with fork, if I have the time. Neck. Rinse cup. No clatterings, no smells, no microwave beeps, no pans, no wrath of wifey, no kids under feet.

[Gordon Ramsay Voice]BREAKFAST. DONE.[GRV]

Dropped 20lbs, thun. One man's sauvage is another man's Rocky.

[In the absence of Philly steps, throws shadow punches all the way to the car]

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Jimster necks raw eggs?
    Gtfoohwtbs
    Shit is foul son
    Though it might account for the boy's Peter Pan countenance.
    I'm all about the fried, runny yolk, in the sandwich (white doorstep natch) smothered with both ketchup and HP Fruity, mug of tea.
    That is all.

ketan said:

I make a middle eastern dish called shakshuka that's pretty similar - sautee sliced onion and bell peppers on a skillet, add a can or two of peeled tomatoes along with spices (a good zaatar mix works best), let it thicken for a bit, then crack a few eggs over it and put it in a pre-heated oven for a few minutes. Add some feta or parmesan cheese before putting it in the oven if you have any on hand. Best breakfast ever.

also, Asia's egg game is :next_level:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/asian-eggs-salt-cured-century-balut-tea-egg.html

• RishanRishan 454 Posts

Devilled.

But fuck that for a game of [strong]soldiers[/strong], they're too fiddly for breakfast. Scrambled when I can be arsed, boiled when I can't.

i see what you did there.

eggs are glorious in all forms (minus dairy additions). will be trying some of these recipes very soon, especially the tomato ones.

skel said:
    Jimster necks raw eggs?
    Gtfoohwtbs
    Shit is foul son

Freal doe, man silently descends the stairs of his domicile to the mental strains of this:
    Gonna Fly Now (Theme from "Rocky")

Trying hard now
    It's so hard now
    Trying hard now

Getting strong now
    Won't be long now
    Getting strong now

Gonna fly now
    Flying high now
    Gonna fly, fly, fly

Songwriters
    Conti, Bill / Connors, Carol / Robbins, Ayn E

Published by
    Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

AYOS AT YOUR DISCRETION. THEY DON'T WRITE THEM LIKE THAT ANYMORE.

"You'll be able to spit nails, kid. Like the guy says, you're gonna eat lightning and you're gonna crap thunder. You're gonna become a very dangerous person."

HAVE YOU EVEN ATE LIKE-NING?
    b/w
    I CAN SHOUT "ADRIAN" IN MANY WAYS.

Jimster is just transitioning between the Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke phase of eating a pile of hard boiled eggs to the Paul Newman in The Verdict phase, where his breakfast consists of raw eggs in a glass of whiskey.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Mexican scrambled.

Sautee some Herdez Salsa Casera with some chopped up serrano pepper and butter.
    Add whipped eggs with a little milk salt and pepper.
    Add cilantro at the end.

Mix with chilaquiles and refried black beans. I could eat that every morning.

Nevar that, son. My body is a temple.

Unless it's the weekend.

Or 2-for-1 Tuesdays at Lime.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I bicycle about 50-80 miles per week. I need fuel for the thigh fire and what that thigh fire needs is more mexican eggs.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    CBear said:
    mexican eggs.

Permission please to shorten that to mex eggs; and further, to do the portmanteau on it and coin 'Meggs'.
    And if it catches on, to note the creation here and now for purposes of inter web entomological posterity. And if it doesn't, drop it like its hot.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    What came first, the Pollo or the Meggs?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Migas.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    over medium dirty eggs (fried in bacon grease)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Only way I like eggs is raw and submerged in a Bloody Mary with lots of shaved horseradish.

• I like my eggs ala mexicana con tortillas and coffee. Sometimes for lunch I like them hardboiled with fancy salt and wasabi mayo slathered all up on em. Yums.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Just scramble 'em. No need to overthink it. They're eggs, for fuck's sake.

• eggs benny, eggs natasha, huevos ranchero, or over easy on a burger.