garbage looking one trackers...

KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
I need some advice on how to sell all those one tracker records in the real world. I'm talking about for example, Percy Faith Corazon, more of like a 3 tracker but you get the idea. This isn't the most common record or the raerest but I think a real world price of $2 or $3 for a nice clean one is fair. Am I wrong? If I'm not how do I get people at a show/swap to be interested? I feel like if folks heard some of these one trackers they'd cop right away for a couple bucks. I mean you can't post a sound file at your table and having a little listening TT would kinda interrupt traffic/ be drowned out. Ideas?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Put 'em in a box labelled "SINGLES WITH ADDITIONAL FREE SONGS".

Explain that although they look like albums, they are not.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Hahaha I like this strategy but I'm not sure even it will work...

Do you think $3 is a fair price for this record? I guess my basic question is how do you expose people to ish they are not up on? Put it all in a box labeled "funk" or "psych" based on where the track or two that are "good" fall and pay no regard to the artist or record's overall genre?

100% GUARANTEED NOT ON YOUTUBE (yet*), UNDISCOVERED SICK SHIT THE OTHER HIPSTERS DON'T KNOW ABOUT AS THEY HAVEN'T CONSULTED THE VILLAGE ELDERS.

*maybe

...anywhere outside of the US $3 is a steal if there's anything remotely decent on it. It's just getting people to take a chance on something they have never heard of and don't like the look of.
    How much is a coffee in Starbucks? More than $3?

Or

$3 each - 4 for $10

How about...

J DILLA WAS GOING TO BUY THESE RECORDS BUT HAD TO BOUNCE TO A CONCERT AND FORGOT TO COME BACK AFTERWARDS. THESE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE SOURCE MATERIAL FOR DONUTS 2. MADLIB PHONED ME AND WANTED TO PAY ME TO DESTROY THEM SO THEY WOULD TAKE THEIR FUNKY SECRETS TO THE GRAVE. BUT NO, IT'S ALL HERE, AT THREE FUCKING DOLLARS A POP SO THE NEXT BEAT MAESTRO CAN UNLOCK THE DOPENESS WITHIN. USE THE FORCE, PAY THE MONEY, SEND THE DEMOS TO STONES THROW. AND MENTION ME IN THE ALBUM CREDITS.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I used to do this on eBay by putting them in a 10 LP lot and putting Breaks, Samples, loops in the title.

I would also make a 4 minute sound clip of the best parts.

I usually got $30-$70...

This was awhile ago, though.

Overseas shipping is pricey.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Here's what my sound clips sounded like:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to get $6-12 for those.

If you find out how to sell them now let me know.
    I'll send you a Joe Farrell record on CTI as a thank you.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    A friend mine used to write a pithy description of the nice track below the price. Just three or four words. You can expound if the buyer asks.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Write a small note about the track to listen to and drop it in the back of the poly sleeve.

"side 2, track 3 is funky and has breaks" etc.

Try labeling the track with whatever gives it's appeal. "Fuzz guitar" or whatever short description may appeal to a different buyer than someone simply looking for breaks.

Also for previewing I use some cheap small portable iPod speakers connected to my Vestax Handytrax. The little bit of amplification works wonders in a loud show because the built in speakers aren't loud at all.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I like the extra labeling ideas. I'll give it a go next swap. I've pretty much given up trying to sell a record based on just loops or breaks but I refuse to give up on LPs that have at least one track that's good all the way through.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    More seriously.
    1) Portables are common at shows and swaps up here. Bring yours and let buyers use it.
    2) There are 2 sellers up here that I have a lot of respect for, one lists everything on as many web sites as possible and waits (sometimes years) for the one guy who wants that record. The other starts the record at a strong price (say $6) then prices it down to $3, then it goes to the dollar bin, then it goes to the .25c bin. I guess it goes to the trash pile after that. All in the span of a year or two. First one has over a million records warehoused, second has mid sized store with lots of turn over.