School me on buying an MPC 60/3000

2»

Comments

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    seriously, forat is the man. dude honestly cares about what he does and is all about gettin you back to makin music again.
    one of the best cats ive dealt with

• i can tell you why i kike the 3000. i used a mpc 60II for about 10 yrs. really loved that machine but needed more sample time. got the 3000 and really like the filter section. the best part for me is the sample time i can literally fill all 48 pads. so when i'm brainstorming ideas i like to work on 4 beats at a time(one on each bank) and never run out of memory. peace, stein. . .

• thanks stein!, have you ever tried the mpc4000?

how do you trim samples in the 3000, do you use a slider like on the sp1200? or its all mathmatics?

many thanks dude

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    thanks stein!, have you ever tried the mpc4000?

how do you trim samples in the 3000, do you use a slider like on the sp1200? or its all mathmatics?

many thanks dude

You can enter numbers or use the knob to change the start and end times.

• thanks spelunk, very much appreciated!

• DONT BUY A MPC-60 with a 3000 upgrade. too much bugs in the software.

also theres a new OS for it now:

http://www.mansell-labs.com/products.html

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=68134

• HamHam 872 Posts
    best thread evar. just started talking with this guy to buy an mpc60II, and this thread really helped, thanks everybody.

• hell yea great thread. like they said the filters on the 3000 are amazing. i used to run samples through the 3000 into the 2000 just for the filters. in my opinion, the 3000 sounds the best out of the mpc family. like people have said BRUCE FORAT IS GOOD PEOPLE. dude is so chill and knowlegdable and will help you with anything. if anyone is interested, i have an mpc 3000 and an mpc 60 sitting around that need new homes. 3000 is super clean for its age and works fine. 60 is all upgraded, cursor knob is pushed in but works fine, and most of the backwriting had worn off. machine works fine though. hit me with a pm if interested.

• Options
    hell yea great thread. like they said the filters on the 3000 are amazing. i used to run samples through the 3000 into the 2000 just for the filters. in my opinion, the 3000 sounds the best out of the mpc family. like people have said BRUCE FORAT IS GOOD PEOPLE. dude is so chill and knowlegdable and will help you with anything. if anyone is interested, i have an mpc 3000 and an mpc 60 sitting around that need new homes. 3000 is super clean for its age and works fine. 60 is all upgraded, cursor knob is pushed in but works fine, and most of the backwriting had worn off. machine works fine though. hit me with a pm if interested.

The Low Pass Filter? I think the low pass on the 3000 sucks.

The illest filters of all time can be found in the casio FZ samplers.

This thread I started feels ancient.

For what it's worth, I ended up moving on from my MPC 60 to using an s950 and Fxpansion Guru, which is pretty much an MPC on steroids. I just run drums through the s950 to take advantage of the way the converters give extra impact to transients and slice and sequence everything in Guru.

That said learning on an MPC was the best introduction because it forces you to do everything by hand, with no visual help, and not worry about the hassle of computers/DAW software.

I will also say that if anyone tells you the s950 and MPC 60 sound identical, they are wrong. I like the s950 a lot, but the 60 has a VERY distinct sound that I sometimes miss for drums.

• HamHam 872 Posts

For what it's worth, I ended up moving on from my MPC 60 to using an s950 and Fxpansion Guru, which is pretty much an MPC on steroids. I just run drums through the s950 to take advantage of the way the converters give extra impact to transients and slice and sequence everything in Guru.

That said learning on an MPC was the best introduction because it forces you to do everything by hand, with no visual help, and not worry about the hassle of computers/DAW software.

I will also say that if anyone tells you the s950 and MPC 60 sound identical, they are wrong. I like the s950 a lot, but the 60 has a VERY distinct sound that I sometimes miss for drums.

what about the "funkyness" of the sequencer of the mpc, don't you miss that? cause i'm tired of newer stuff that gets back to the one too fast

• I have owned an MPC60II for about a year now. When it first arrived from Mississippi from an eBay seller, the power connector on the back of the machine was busted because the seller shipped it with the power cable attached. It had a burnt out back-light foil, OS 2.12, and i would later find it had a ram hack that was working intermittently (double up ram chips, do not do this shit to yours!). I ended up replacing the power connector with a part from Forat, replaced the back-light with a part from Telesis, and replaced the back-light inverter with a part for the 3000 because they dont make the inverter for the 60 anymore, from VST Service because of the inverter whine that makes a high pitched noise on these old units.I just recently had my floppy drive die so I replaced it with a new one from VST, and got the Roger Linn OS 3.10 upgrade, as well as the memory expansion from Forat. I desoldered all the extra ram chips from the hack and made it proper.

I would say don't get a 60 without 3.10, because you'll be spending $200+/- for the OS ROM chips. I never had my 60 crash with the old OS or new OS. But 3.10 provided invaluable features/functions that I'm not sure I could live without now looking back. I sample a lot of times at 45rpm +8pitch to save space. I really really want a 3000, but i think i might just get an s3000 rack sampler or something similar for filters, 16bit sound, and more sample time. But i would agree and say it might be nice to find one local so you can check it out before you buy. Just keep your eyes peeled on craigslist and eBay.

Good luck with your purchase!

• DONT BUY A MPC-60 with a 3000 upgrade. too much bugs in the software.

This is for MPC3000 only, not for the MPC60 to clarify.

what about the "funkyness" of the sequencer of the mpc, don't you miss that? cause i'm tired of newer stuff that gets back to the one too fast

I don't quantize, so I don't miss any of the swing functions. If you really want, there are groove templates for Guru which mimic some of the swing timings of the 3000. You can also setup Guru and Logic to operare in 96 ppq, which is the same timing resolution as the MPC.

In terms of the "gets back to the one too fast", I've never really quite understood what this is all about, because it seems to me that this is pretty easy to adjust, and I'll bet a good part of this phenomenon is that when you edit samples on an MPC, it's harder to nail down the start of a sample perfectly.

Regardless, I do know that there are certain "feel" differences that I'm missing out on by not using an MPC, but I find that the editing functions of Guru are huge advantage and keep me from getting frustrated. If I could afford it, I would have both options available.

• well i had a friend with an mpc 60 with the 3000 upgrade and he said it would just freeze up all the time. he eventually switched it back to og software and sold it. he also said it would take up to 8 3.5 floppys to save a song. peace, stein. . .

Something is up with that dudes machine, not the OS upgrade. There are many users running 3.10 fine. 8 3.5 floppies to save a song???? With the memory expansion the max is 2 720k DS/DD floppy disks. Sounds like his particular machine was

• Buying a 60ii w/ SCSI and 3.02 for $600ish in 2015...good idea or great idea?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I don't know if its just me, but when I installed the OS Upgrade/SCSI in my 60ii, the sequencer got noticeably tighter - and that's a bad thing IMO.