TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Didn't watch, but apparently Joe Hart played well!

Word on the street is that everything in Sitges is great Jimster. No specific recommendations.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I made my first substitution of the season on my fantasy team, only took me 7.5 months! I thought it was finally time for Podolski and Schurrle to go on and make their way elsewhere.

I'm coming for you, dude above me in the charts who drinks before noon!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    That's Vintage Inf*nts (AKA J*el) IIRC

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ha! I've had Szczesny as my goal keeper all season. And Howard as back up (well he had a great WC).

Not scoring me many points either of them. Apart from maybe cool points with the bad kids and secret smokers.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    No love for the Richard III thing today?
    Battle of Bosworth vibes were :hard as fuck:

skel said:
    No love for the Richard III thing today?

I dunno. Nobody remembers what he looked like, if he was a nice king, his attitude on taxes, how he treated the poor... did he hate the French or something worthy like that?

He probably killed two princes in the tower, was the last king to die in battle, last of the line that gave way to the Tudors, end of the War of the Roses, had the hunchback, is still cockney slang for your girl...
    And apparently was very forward on progressive laws for the peasantry.
    I'd say he punched his weight and more, relatively speaking.

skel said:
    He probably killed two princes in the tower, was the last king to die in battle, last of the line that gave way to the Tudors, end of the War of the Roses, had the hunchback, is still cockney slang for your girl...
    And apparently was very forward on progressive laws for the peasantry.
    I'd say he punched his weight and more, relatively speaking.

Hahaha, :oh_snap: A touch of what-have-the-Romans-ever-done-for-us!

[em]Note to self: refrain from giving Skel the opportunity to administer a schooling in public.[/em]

• discos_alma said:

I'm coming for you, dude above me in the charts who drinks before noon!

YOURE NEVER CATCHING ME

ever since i made that Faustian pick of dirty diego sanchez I have my top relegation spot nailed down!

EPL games start at around 8am over here, so the early drinking should provide no commentary on my poor decision making. (which, to be fair, is poor)

This is good:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/brain-flapping/2015/apr/02/democracy-psychology-idiots-election

Confident people are more convincing. This is has been demonstrated in many studies. Most studies focus on a courtroom setting, and suggest a confident witness is more convincing to a jury than a nervous, hesitant one (which obviously has worrying implications for justice), but it can be seen elsewhere. It’s a phenomenon used-car salesmen and estate agents have exploited for decades. And politicians are clearly aware of it, hence all the media training and PR management; any politician that doesn’t come across as assured and confident gets (metaphorically) destroyed. So confidence is important in politics.

However, the Dunning-Kruger effect reveals that less-intelligent people are usually incredibly confident. More intelligent people, by contrast, aren’t at all. Self-appraisal is a useful metacognitive skill, but one that requires intelligence; if you don’t have much of it, you don’t consider yourself flawed or ignorant, because technically you don’t have the ability to do so.

Can I be confident in my lack of confidence?

b/w

Election predictions. I think the Tory scum will stay in on the back of economic fears, and the way that Ed Miliband eats a bacon sandwich.

L*o, as much as I enjoy your pre-electoral foaming at da mouf episodes, the "tories=scum, people hate Milli because he's shit at eating a bacon sarnie" idea is so skewed as to bring to mind the poisonous bipolar political landscape in our former colony.

In fact people are more likely to hate on Ed for throwing his bro under a bus, and for never having had a proper job.
    Neither of these seems desirable in a PM.

As for Tories, they preside over the rich getting richer, poor poorer.

All party policies seem to be slighter variations of each other than ever before.

So what's left is a vote for an individual's prrsonality.
    And I wouldn't want a beer with a single one of them dudes.
    No doubt all of my local candidates are career politicos, live outside my area, probably in a fancy pad or country mansion, can't/won't do fuck all for me and mine.
    In any case, our politicians are at the mercy of global forces and events for virtually everything that matters.
    I suggest none of us vote for any of them, which is what I will be doing.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    meanwhile, in Porto Alegre:

dude found a new way of being sent off (and presumably fired from the club) in style

Hats off to him. No hiding of feelings.

B/w panties super-bunched

skel said:
    L*o, as much as I enjoy your pre-electoral foaming at da mouf episodes, the "tories=scum"

Well, c'mon...

"people hate Milli because he's shit at eating a bacon sarnie" idea

But he IS shit at eating a bacon sarnie! And that's surely the best metric for judging a candidate's pedigree.

I won't be voting, doe.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I, four one, don't think it was a good week to make contract demands and then have a quiet game. Thought he'd give Mertersacker a torrid time, and he just missed that early chance.

Won't be long before Barcelona start harping on about Hector Bellerin being unfairly taken away to Arsenal and given a chance to play football.

Ol' bug eyes starting to find some form!

Woof!

Bang!

Please, please please can Mourinho make some comment about slipping.

• Duderonomy said:

Ol' bug eyes starting to find some form!

spilled my coffee on this one.

Man, we got our asses handed today.

But there was tons of great play on the field today. These two really stood out for me.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    What no Charlie Adams?

Mourinho teams in a nutshell

I got love for Defoe even though he left T.F.C.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Gotta say, I'm a fan of the "from the sky" view of replays -- is this something brand new though? In the States, I don't feel like I've seen it very often. Also, is it from a drone?

Good goals all around this week -- really happy to see Arsenal do the deed this weekend, but I'm still really eyeing the Chelsea game to see where we stand. Even if we were to win out (which I don't see happening), I'm not even really considering the title anything but Chelsea's to win --- but from a "how likely are Arsenal as real contenders", that will come from how we play them. The boogieman thing between Mourinho and Wenger has to go out before I can see Arsenal really taking the next step to claiming that they are really title contenders.

jlee said:
    from a "how likely are Arsenal as real contenders", that will come from how we play them. The boogieman thing between Mourinho and Wenger has to go out before I can see Arsenal really taking the next step to claiming that they are really title contenders.

It would send out a good marker, and this is the first time in ages it's felt like we've really got the squad to do it. Beat them this season, strengthen over the summer, and then win the league next season.

• I don't see Arsenal winning the title next season unless they improve their midfield by buying real class like Kondogbia or Koke..and getting a consistent partner for Koscielny. Not convinced by the new keeper either.

badder_than_evil said:
    I don't see Arsenal winning the title next season unless they improve their midfield by buying real class like Kondogbia or Koke..and getting a consistent partner for Koscielny. Not convinced by the new keeper either.

A class midfielder - nah, I think that's actually one area we have covered; Cazorla, Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshire, Oxo-Cube, Ozil. Another defensive midfielder, yes, because if Coq's form dips or he gets injured, we're back to Flamini, and he's too old.

Defender to partner Kos... the south American dude we just bought looks the business. If he's half as good at defending as he is ugly, we're sorted. Back-up from Chambers (he's not a right-back), Mertersacker (who's really on his last season), or Debuchy (he can fill in there and has looked comfortable), think we're OK.

The real problem I see is Giroud. When he doesn't play, we're not the same team. A top, top striker who can hold the play up, occupy 2 or more defenders, and score a minimum 20 goals a season should be on Wenger's list, along with Schneiderlin.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    badder_than_evil said:
    I don't see Arsenal winning the title next season unless they improve their midfield by buying real class like Kondogbia or Koke..and getting a consistent partner for Koscielny. Not convinced by the new keeper either.

The real problem I see is Giroud. When he doesn't play, we're not the same team. A top, top striker who can hold the play up, occupy 2 or more defenders, and score a minimum 20 goals a season should be on Wenger's list, along with Schneiderlin.

I'd probably agree -- another good striker and perhaps a MF that is more defensive minded would be ideal for AFC. Assuming Flamini and Arteta are likely going to be gone in 2 years time and Coq is going to continue to play at the same level.

But really, I think the issue keeping the team from a title has more to do with attitude. You get the sense that Citeh, Chelsea and even MUFC players really believe they should be champions. Whereas Arsenal squad doesn't necessarily reflect that attitude/arrogance. It might be an ego thing, but I think those players need some of that attitude.

I suppose getting our ass handed by those teams consistently over the past few seasons has been the reason, but talent wise, we should be feeling like we can play (and win) against anyone.

jlee said:

But really, I think the issue keeping the team from a title has more to do with attitude. You get the sense that Citeh, Chelsea and even MUFC players really believe they should be champions. Whereas Arsenal squad doesn't necessarily reflect that attitude/arrogance. It might be an ego thing, but I think those players need some of that attitude.

Yes. When we were 3-0 up against Liverpool Wenger took Ozil off and brought on Flamini. He should've been challenging the players [em]"We scored 3 in the first half, let's score 4 in the second"[/em]. Instead he ceded the initiative.

b/w

Despite being the last team to beat us, Spur's season can be summed up with this:

• Duderonomy said:

A class midfielder - nah, I think that's actually one area we have covered; Cazorla, Rosicky, Ramsey, Wilshire, Oxo-Cube, Ozil. Flamini

My opinion.

Cazorla - Inconsistent, overrated.
    Rosicky - Experienced and under-utilized by Wenger
    Ramsey - Decent player.
    Wilshire - Not fulfilled early potential..inconsistent.
    Ox - Under-used by Wenger
    Ozil - Inconsistent, but on his day excellent
    Flamini - Squad player now, but the kind of player needed.
    Arteta - Not good enough.
    Podolski - Experienced and under-utilized by Wenger.

I think Wenger shows too much faith in certain players..how many of these players are good enough in comparison with past midfielders during Wenger's reign?? I'd take Silva, Petit, Edu, Limpar, Vieira, Overmars, Fabregas, Thomas, Rocastle, Ljundberg, and Pires over most of these players. They are decent, but not up to the standard of player that Wenger has had at his disposal in the past. I think A lot of Arsenal fans have lowered their expectations.
    Most wouldn't get in City, Chelsea or even United's midfield now.

That shot from Paulinho sums up our business in the transfer market in the last two years, rather than our season in my view. Not that I am the type to shout out that we are going to win trophies anyway..

Duderonomy said:
    and then win the league next season.

Hereby re-christened SelfDeluderonomy

There was much in this weekend.
    Citeh are wretched. Manual is toast.
    Mental top, top goal frenzy.
    Rodgers looks very wobbly indeed. And he's such a bad fibber.
    JoMo still the man. You knows it.
    Least exciting PL for ages. Woeful teams up in this bitch.
    I like Pochettino, but he's got to clear out plenty of chaff.
    Bournemouth are gonna take some scalps next season.

Oh and the little matter of beating Charlton, yet again.
    So good.
    B/w looking forward to some poxy little teams we haven't played for a while, come the new season.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    skel said:
    Least exciting PL for ages. Woeful teams up in this bitch.

I'd be curious to hear if this is consistent with all Europe leagues? A quick look around and it seems to be pretty big gaps between #1 and #2 for most leagues except the normal FCB/Madrid rivalry. For the PL, with the exception of Chelsea, things are actually pretty tight in the table, but teams are so erratic, either going on runs or totally off the boil. So the season now appears boring as Chelsea drip-and-drab their way to a title, while UTD and Arsenal prove too little too late.

I'm not going to argue that this season was amazing, but I wonder if WC played a role in the perceived mediocrity of the play.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Dunno what is going on at City, most players just not at the level of the year before. Apathy and old age, perchance. Time to cash the coasters in. Toure. Dzeko. Navas. Nasri. Straight Bumabclarks to a man this year.

It wasn't a mauling - City had 22 shots, 74% of possession - but fewk all to show for it. This is not acceptable for defending champions. Defensively still a shambles but the goals just aren't going in to counter it. No plan B.

I think Pellegrini's head will roll now.