Turntable setup repairs (DIY)

2»

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Delay said:
    So I guess to answer your question, the entire industry on a whole.

Citations please

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jesse DeVille said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Alright, I've been having an issue that I'm not sure the source nor the remedy for.

On one of my turntables, when I put the needle on a record I may or may not get a signal through my mixer on both channels. When faced with only hearing the sounds out of one side of my headphones, all I have to do is kinda tap the record and then it comes through on both sides...and typically stays that way until I lift the needle again. Obviously, it's something on the turntable rather than the mixer that's causing the problem.

But what is it exactly? And how do I get it repaired?

Thanks in advance.

From your description, to me this could possibly the connection between the headshell and the arm contacts. Have you tried a different headshell? Also, take a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean inside the arm where the headshell mounts. Could work.

Thank you. I will try that.

Don't use rubbing alcohol, it leaves residue on electronic contacts over time. Get a can of De-oxit from Radio Shack or wherever and use that instead. It's also the recommended thing to clean dirty faders, crackly knobs etc. Essential for maintaining electronics.

• Longtime listener, first time caller...

I have three older 1200 mk2s and 2 1210 mk2s. I use the 1210s for playing out, they stay in my anvil cases, and the 1200s stay set up at home.

One of my 1200s needs new rcas - no big deal. I only play vinyl on my home set up, Serato only gets love for my radio show and gigs, so it's no huge rush. Thanks for the info though, I'm feeling much more confident about tackling the job myself now.

Heres my question: one my 1200s won't turn on at all. It was dropped years ago and has been collecting dust since (there's a lesson in this...don't let your drunk friend help you ack up your gear at the end of the night). Since my 1200s are going on 20 years old, they don't have fuses. Any leads? I'm hoping it's the power switch, but it may be the transformer or power supply right? Any experience resurrecting a doa pre-fuse 1200?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jesse DeVille said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Alright, I've been having an issue that I'm not sure the source nor the remedy for.

On one of my turntables, when I put the needle on a record I may or may not get a signal through my mixer on both channels. When faced with only hearing the sounds out of one side of my headphones, all I have to do is kinda tap the record and then it comes through on both sides...and typically stays that way until I lift the needle again. Obviously, it's something on the turntable rather than the mixer that's causing the problem.

But what is it exactly? And how do I get it repaired?

Thanks in advance.

From your description, to me this could possibly the connection between the headshell and the arm contacts. Have you tried a different headshell? Also, take a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean inside the arm where the headshell mounts. Could work.

This seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you.

Oh yeah, I used rosemary oil instead of alcohol.