Have you been more sick than normal?

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited March 2015 in Strut Central
For some reason, I can't shake my cold this year. It comes and goes. I do have a 3 year old and a 5 year old, so there's that, but we've all had a cough for a long time. It's making me wonder if it's our house.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Colds are getting stronger because people are taking vax shots for them. A sedantary lifestyle won't help, and since I left my office job I've felt great... enclosed spaces with other people spreads them.

(hungover, barely able to make sense, sorry)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Come to think of it, I've been coughing for a while too. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Good idea to vacuum every week or two.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    YES

Picked up a cold early Jan, still got the remnants of it, approaching mid March. I never take medicines, no change in routines, eat crap and drink too much beer as always.
    My immune system is fucked but I've noticed young healthy kids at work are still emitting volleys of the green stuff a few times a day.
    I too never sweat this stuff, it will clear and the humanoid race will survive.
    Them bacterial been here longer than we have, I'm happy they're having a field day in me at the mo.
    Symbiosis, man. Good karma.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    I started getting sick Dec 15th, it went away for 2 days and came back even worse to the point I was in bed for almost a week, during this time I also had a crazy coughing/sneezing fit that rendered a couple my ribs, fractured/bruised or broken, after the sickness cleared I some how got food poisoning which had me totally out for a week in bed again (ribs totally destroyed from violently vomiting) the food poisoning was gone in a week... after 2 weeks of feeling fairly ok, I am sick again since last Tuesday, I took Friday off to get some rest and stuff, but the amount of time I have missed from work and the constantly feeling of exhaustion and sickness as me feeling totally bummed out on energy and life right now, its been the longest 3 months ever.

I have a 1.5yr old daughter in day care and that is really the main driving force of sickness in this house, she has been sick since she started daycare in Aug and has had pink eye at least 5 times already..we have passed the sickness around to each other about 4 times and have all had pink eye also including the food poisoning after we all ate tainted eggs...

and I still have the same cough since December..fuck

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Yep, I've had it too, 7-8 weeks worth, but recovered now. There has been some really nasty bug going round this winter. Lost my whole xmas and new year holiday to the sucker, went back to work for a couple of weeks in Jan, but it was futile. Could barely walk and I have a fair walk on either end of my train commute! Had the cough and fecked my ribs too. Never felt exhaustion like it. Work told me to go home for a couple of weeks and work from there, which was the only decent part of the whole sorry business. Hope everyone gets better soon, and bring on the fecking Spring!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    There is science to back up the use of zinc supplements to strengthen the immune system and/or reduce the length and severity of a cold.

As someone who tends to catch a cold several times every year, and as someone who is cynical of this type of shit, I tried it, and it really does work. I strongly recommend getting quality sleep, take zinc before hitting the sheets, and ensure you get enough water/fluids daily.

Lastly, avoid rubbing your eyes and nose. Just don't even touch your face if you can help it, especially when out in public places. Wash hands before and after meals, and obvs after going to the washroom, and when you get home from a public place.

T***y, check for any signs of mold in your home. Years, back I lived in an apartment that had mold in it (I didn't know until year 2). I was sick for weeks at a time, with 2 weeks respite in between. I eventually contracted pneumonia and was coughing up blood. After I moved, I only got a common cold once or twice during winter.

Good luck and get/stay well.

Just don't even touch your face if you can help it, especially when out in public places.

Aww damn, really?
    This is one of my most favourite activities.
    Damn damn damn.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    He said "Face", not "Bobby's helmet."

No more Vogueing on the train then.

Damn.

WMIC

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Colds are getting stronger because people are taking vax shots for them. A sedantary lifestyle won't help, and since I left my office job I've felt great... enclosed spaces with other people spreads them.

Sort of. Vax are for flu. Each year there is a different vax aimed at 4 different flu viruses. Which ever 4 researchers think will be most prominent. Vax against viruses do not seem to create stronger viruses. Think of polio.

I try to get a flu vax each year, as I volunteer in schools.
    This year has been a healthy one. Knock, knock, knock on wood, baby.

LaserWolf said:
    Duderonomy said:

Sort of. Vax are for flu. Each year there is a different vax aimed at 4 different flu viruses. Which ever 4 researchers think will be most prominent. Vax against viruses do not seem to create stronger viruses. Think of polio.

I try to get a flu vax each year, as I volunteer in schools.
    This year has been a healthy one. Knock, knock, knock on wood, baby.

Ahhh, I never really thought of the flu as a virus, just this thing that happens every winter. So far this year only had a tickly throat & headache for about 4 days. Usually in an office I'll get struck down with 2 or 3 serious colds that last for weeks!

skel said:

Damn.

WMIC

S***e, vogue is a lifestyle, not just a dance. You know this.

Teh world (or maybe just passengers on your train) NEED you to continue striking poses like there's nothing to it.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    For some reason, I can't shake my cold this year. It comes and goes.[strong] I do have a 3 year old and a 5 year old,[/strong] so there's that, but we've all had a cough for a long time. It's making me wonder if it's our house.

I never got sick for years, and if I did i bounced back very uickly. As soon as my kids went to day care, I now get sick every year when they go back to school, it is hangs on for ages.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I've dodged everything this year. No idea how. Barely had a stuffy nose.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Word ^^

I was sick for a month after I quit smoking cigarettes last November. Never ending cough-related.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    parallax said:
    skel said:

Damn.

WMIC

Teh world (or maybe just passengers on your train) NEED you to continue striking poses like there's nothing to it.

I would have pegged S*eve as less Vogue, more Razzle, Men Only and Big Ones International.

But then, there's no dances for those titles.

OR ARE THERE?

(Putting the Willy in Willy Ninja)

AYO

But seriously, R*b is very on point about touching anything after filling your fingers with germs.
    So many fools don't bag it n bin it.

Coughs and sneezes spread diseases, people.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Chemtrails

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    skel said:
    Just don't even touch your face if you can help it, especially when out in public places.

Aww damn, really?
    This is one of my most favourite activities.
    Damn damn damn.

Yeah, this info severely fucks up my favorite pastime

I used to pride myself on not getting sick ever. That all changed once I started working on a campus with tons of people. So (in regards to the thread title), yeah, I'm getting sick much more often but it's totally explainable, I suppose.

• Duderonomy said:
    Colds are getting stronger because people are taking vax shots for them...(hungover, barely able to make sense, sorry)

I'm gonna chalk this statement up to your hangover because it is simply not true.

meistromoco said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Colds are getting stronger because people are taking vax shots for them...(hungover, barely able to make sense, sorry)

I'm gonna chalk this statement up to your hangover because it is simply not true.

Already been corrected on that one!

J i m s t e r said:
    parallax said:
    skel said:

Damn.

WMIC

I would have pegged S*eve as less Vogue, more Razzle, Men Only and Big Ones International.

But then, there's no dances for those titles.

OR ARE THERE?

(Putting the Willy in Willy Ninja)

AYO

Haha!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    This went around my work where we each took turn feeling like crap for a week and then 3 weeks shaking it off. We are all working tons of overtime so I'm sure that's most of it. If you can rest and take vitamins/pills I'm sure if leaves quicker. You didn't even quite drinking beer explains a lot.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Hack hack. Fuck this noise!

I am getting sort of better. I feel better hearing that it's a bit more common and not something in my house. We've had mold/mildew issues, but are on top of it.
    My daughter is in school and I work in a public library, so I'm in the thick of it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Guys:

Take a bath. Then wrap a hot towel around your head. And then make yourself some soup, get a nap.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    fuck pills and vitamins, just eat lots of garlic and pepper.

Garlic tea recipe:

slice 3-4 cloves of garlic, throw it in a pot of water with the rinds of one lemon (set the juice aside), boil that shit for a few minutes. Once it smells garlicky, throw in the lemon juice, some honey, and a dash of booze if that's your thing. You can also add fresh ginger or some cayenne pepper, the ginger really helps if you're congested. Drink before going to bed. The next morning you'll wake up sweaty and slightly stinky from the garlic, but your cold will be basically gone.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    mine seems like its starting to break but the insane nose blowing has left my ears popping and sounding fuct, clogged or half clogged, in the morning when i get up is when i am conjested the most the first 30 minutes of my morning was taken up just blowing my nose.

i am still pounding water into me like i'm a fish..but being this time of year the heat (at home, at work, in the car) kills my sinuses and dries them up in a bad way, i feel crazy dehydrated after drinking 2 litres of water while just at work...i go home and drink more water the rest of the night..

wifey is going to the "duty doctor" tonight she thinks she has a sinus infection again and our daughter has some kind "evil plague from day care" that never seems to go away.. ugh! heres hoping the rest of the year gets better, i am felling done with all of this now..

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Eating healthy food is good, fat / sweet food isn't, but in no way food (supplement) is a medicine for curing a virus/bacterial infection.

Been sick on and off last couple months. Hate it.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I am sick of being sick. Had the flu bad a few weeks ago, and now... recovering from tonsillitis. I eat pretty healthily, ride my bike and walk a fair amount. Not exactly climbing Mt Everest, bust still.

I blame:
    - stress (work / kids)
    - lack of sleep (kids)
    - One kid going to school, catching new stuff (for them) and bringing it home. Wife gets it easily (lack of sleep (kids)), the other kid gets it then I get it. I think we have about 1 week every two months where everyone is completely healthy... at least during winter (kids)

There's some sort of common connection here that I can't quite put my finger on...