"LIVE" HIP HOP THAT'S NOT WACK?

SO OPSO OP 10 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
When I was a "beat-maker" back in the day, I liked to think of myself as a sampling purist- I wouldn't allow myself to cheat by sampling anything but vinyl; no getting musicians to play any real instruments on top because I thought that would be too easy; I only liked hardware- no computers. But then about 6 years ago, I did a 180 and gave up sampling completely to fuck with real instruments. It's not easy to do but definitely a lot more fun and rewarding.

So I'm wondering, besides The Roots of course, in the post sample/drum machine-era (so no disco/boogie-rap,) who you guys think has done a good job of producing completely "organic" hip hop- meaning no samples at all; no bands with a "dj"; no bands with a "sample guy" who hits pads and shit; no playing on top of a sampled drum break- something live that still has some integrity and shows an appreciation and understanding of golden era rap. The hip-hop band thing can go pretty corny pretty quick which is why I think most people shy away from it. Here are a few that I came up with-

EL MICHELS & RAEKWON - PJS FROM AFAR (my top pick- I think this is hot hot fire)

ADRIAN YOUNGE & SOULS - THERE IS ONLY NOW (I was really impressed by this entire album)

ROBERT GLASPER EXPERIMENT & ERIKAH- AFRO BLUE (not hip hop per se, but production wise...)

COUNT BASS D- SANDWICHES (not 100% sure about this but I think he played all the instruments)

MARC MAC- THE WORLD IS YOURS (Nas cover with no raps but really good production)

I know the new Ghostface has a lot of live playing on it- I peeped it but wasn't really feeling it. Also the new Wu has RZA going all over the country and spending a ton of money to record in famous studios with session players, but from what I've heard not really worth the effort.

I'm super curious what people come up with.

Please post any really terrible stuff too, but more so interested in the good shit.

Peesh out,

-Matt

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    RIP Esbe and Tiny...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• SO OPSO OP 10 Posts

• The Fugees had a pretty tight band back in the day.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

malcom catto

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    As much as i respect Fatback KTm3rd, it never got played at the parties when i was a kid. you heard flash, blow, sequence, busy bee, raps delight, cc4, treach 3, fantastic 5 and them in till Run Dmc took over and Fatback never got the party jumpin in my exp.
    it was more of a vinyl acquisition brag/history medal than a party staple joint.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    The only Adrian Younge stuff i've heard properly is "Something About April". It's written, produced and mixed really well - all the instruments have a really authentic 70s sound - but i think the musicianship lets it down. The grooves don't really gel for me and I find it pretty unlistenable as a result. I really enjoyed the recent Prhyme album's beats (which sample Younge exclusively) as Premier's programming was really tight in comparison.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    old but classic imo

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Not sure if I'm fully understanding the stipulations behind this thread but, the 'Badbadnotgood' dudes seem to be kinda killing it on this 'live hiphop' front....

• SO OPSO OP 10 Posts
    Sorry if the parameters weren't clear- was wondering about good live hip hop that was made AFTER sampling became the thing to- not 70s/80s disco rap. A few years back I heard about some mega-rare 90s live rap album out of Philly I think but have absolutely no info on it.

The BBNG kids are definitely killing it.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    The BDP live album is a classic for me.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    leon said:
    The BDP live album is a classic for me.
    Wait, that's not what you meant. NM.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This looks like a good opportunity to share with you guys one of my favorite Chilean hip hop acts.

COMO ASESINAR A FELIPES

- spidey

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    it was more of a vinyl acquisition brag/history medal than a party staple joint.

See also: Dimples D - Sucker DJs

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

See also: Dimples D - Sucker DJs

The I dream of genie remix was dope though. Certified.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Schoolly D - Welcome to America LP has lots of live musicians on it killing shit.