WKRP in Cincinnati

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2015 in Strut Central
I havent watched this in a long ass minute. And really didnt peep when i was a kid.
Saw an ep about the kids getting crushed at a concert. Good stuff.
Then the next ep had Johnny getting pressured into incorporating their Top 40 playlist, while he was rockin Frankie Lyman and Bo Diddley.

Im wondering if this holds up and if dudes remember if they got inside on radio culture of the late 70s.

And the chick with the glasses has that Julie appeal from Welcome Back Kotter.

Comments

• great show, at least in the 80's when i was growing up and watching the reruns. the episodes that i remember are the concert crushing, johnny fever becomes 'disco johnny" but then bails at the end and plays sly's "remember who are", venus flytrap is awol from the army, and the one where the new dj is getting payola in the form of cocaine...oh yeah and the one were sleezy photgrapher takes nude pis of jennifer....plus plenty of memorable sight gags like herb tarlick's suits and less nessman's imaginary office walls demarcated with masking tape...

great theme music, especially the "hard rock" outro.

jan smithers > loni anderson

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts

"As God is my witness... I thought turkeys could fly."

• Fred_Garvin said:

That one is classic. I think it is one of the top all time tv classics right there.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Classic show, they were definitely slipping some deeper stuff in there that I didn't notice when I watched as a kid. It's a shame the DVD's have been compromised due to the inability to clear all of the original music they used. When I see the posters in the "studio" it seems like it would have been a really cutting edge station for the early 80's.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jefferson starship?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Great show. It was very topical for the time. Dealing with radio payola and other stuff mentioned. They had a episode where some Russian guy defects. I was a kid but I still read the paper with my dad so I knew the stuff on the show was really going on and actaully made me think a little. The first episode where Jonny scratches the record is funny.

Pretty funny and good cast that did go on to other things. Les and his tape walls was pretty funny. I actually work with a guy who dresses like herb tarlec but he's like 28 and thinks he's cool. When I said that no one had any idea who I was talking about or the show. Makes you feel old.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The one with the cop getting Johnny drunk on air to make a point but his reaction gets faster and more agile the drunker he gets.

The one where they all pretend to be each other.

The bomb threat.

WPIG mascot.

Andy's hair.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Haven't seen it in a while either. The theme is one of the greatest ever.

Dr. Johnny Fever = Jeff Skunk Baxter stunt double

Hell... Gary Sandy even looked like a Doobie Brother:

Loni Anderson = nuff said

• Nah, I'm more of a fan of Jan Smithers and her tight sweaters.

It was a running gag about how Bailey would always ask Johnny out on a date and he'd blow her off. They tried to mask her sex appeal, but it didn't work; she had the understated, "hot nerd" thing working overtime.

• asstro said:
    Classic show, they were definitely slipping some deeper stuff in there that I didn't notice when I watched as a kid. It's a shame the DVD's have been compromised due to the inability to clear all of the original music they used. When I see the posters in the "studio" it seems like it would have been a really cutting edge station for the early 80's.

You'd think, but it wasn't. Sure, Johnny Fever snuck in Captain Beefheart and Venus played Bob Marley, but they were supposed to be your standard FM station of the time, playing the Eagles like everybody else.

does this show lose its magic by season 3?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    batmon said:
    does this show lose its magic by season 3?

Don't most shows?

• Grafwritah said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

That one is classic. I think it is one of the top all time tv classics right there.

Beyond any doubt.

The bald guy later molested Webster.

pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:

You'd think, but it wasn't. Sure, Johnny Fever snuck in Captain Beefheart and Venus played Bob Marley, but they were supposed to be your standard FM station of the time, playing the Eagles like everybody else.

Yeah that's what music they were playing on the show, but the posters on the walls were for bands like The Clash, The English Beat, Squeeze and other new wavey type stuff. Especially in the later seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of record label product placement going on behind the scenes...

• asstro said:
    pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:

Yeah that's what music they were playing on the show, but the posters on the walls were for bands like The Clash, The English Beat, Squeeze and other new wavey type stuff. Especially in the later seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of record label product placement going on behind the scenes...

I was listening to FM rock radio during the run of the show. In 1979-80, most of the album-rock stations were slowly adding the more accessible new-wave acts to the playlist. In that way, the Clash, Squeeze and the English Beat seemed fairly par for the course. WLUP in Chicago did play the Clash and might have spot-played Squeeze, but the only Beat I recall hearing were the US power-pop band with the same name.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

Beyond any doubt.

Hey Lazarus,

No, actually Mr. Carlson tried to molest Arnold and Dudley on "Different Strokes."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I'd binge watch this if it was on Netflix.

The remastered DVD set is around $100. Sheeeeiiiit...

pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:
    pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:

I was listening to FM rock radio during the run of the show. In 1979-80, most of the album-rock stations were slowly adding the more accessible new-wave acts to the playlist. In that way, the Clash, Squeeze and the English Beat seemed fairly par for the course. WLUP in Chicago did play the Clash and might have spot-played Squeeze, but the only Beat I recall hearing were the US power-pop band with the same name.

Not to pick an argument Pickwick, but we are about the same age and just have different regional experiences I guess. In NYC, the "rock" stations like WPLJ or WNEW weren't going near any new-wavey stuff. Even when the Clash opened for the Who, they wouldn't play the records on those stations. I heard the Clash more on WBLS (the R&B station programmed by Frankie Crocker). The only remotely new wave act I can remember the rock stations embracing was The Police. NY rock radio was pretty conservative in those days.

• asstro said:
    pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:
    pickwick33 said:
    asstro said:

Not to pick an argument Pickwick, but we are about the same age and just have different regional experiences I guess. In NYC, the "rock" stations like WPLJ or WNEW weren't going near any new-wavey stuff. Even when the Clash opened for the Who, they wouldn't play the records on those stations. I heard the Clash more on WBLS (the R&B station programmed by Frankie Crocker). The only remotely new wave act I can remember the rock stations embracing was The Police. NY rock radio was pretty conservative in those days.

I guess you missed WPIX, who was all over this shit. I remember hearing the the B-52s 'Rock Lobster' when it was just an independent 45 a year or so before they had an album, for example. WLIR also. I grew up in the NYC area then and we were hearing those sounds on the radio all the time.

Horseleech said:

I guess you missed WPIX, who was all over this shit. I remember hearing the the B-52s 'Rock Lobster' when it was just an independent 45 a year or so before they had an album, for example. WLIR also. I grew up in the NYC area then and we were hearing those sounds on the radio all the time.

I don't remember WPIX, but WLIR was my gateway into new wave and punk music (along with MTV). I grew in St. Albans, there weren't too many kids trying to find out about that stuff in the early 80's. I used to have to hide my Police and Clash records from my friends or face relentless clowning for being into "white boy shit".

• Big_Stacks said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Fred_Garvin said:

Beyond any doubt.

Hey Lazarus,

No, actually Mr. Carlson tried to molest Arnold and Dudley on "Different Strokes."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yeah, you're right. So what happened to Webster on the "very special Webster"? That used to be the code for "edgy" sitcom episodes. I just did a quick search and came up empty.

• Not to pick an argument Pickwick, but we are about the same age and just have different regional experiences I guess. In NYC, the "rock" stations like WPLJ or WNEW weren't going near any new-wavey stuff. Even when the Clash opened for the Who, they wouldn't play the records on those stations. I heard the Clash more on WBLS (the R&B station programmed by Frankie Crocker). The only remotely new wave act I can remember the rock stations embracing was The Police. NY rock radio was pretty conservative in those days.

You're probably right. A friend of mine was a high school student in Dallas, TX during this era, and it was basically arena-rock all the way, as far as the FM stations went.

Chicago's WLUP had a rep for being the big "death to disco" station. (Steve Dahl, the DJ who burned the disco records in the ballpark, was on this station). They played all the AOR faves from this era you would expect, but they also went in hard on Elvis Costello, the Clash, Talking Heads, Graham Parker, Patti Smith, the Police, the Cars and countless power-pop acts. For 1980, this was revolutionary, but those who were old enough to go to clubs knew that this was a mere toe dip in the pool. WLUP also used to sponsor midnight showings of Rock & Roll High School, but the only time you heard the Ramones on the station was during The Dr. Demento Show.

I guess you missed WPIX, who was all over this shit.

Our equivalent was WXRT, a holdover from the "freeform" days that was a bit more adventurous about punk/new wave, to the point of having an hour-long radio show called The Big Beat, which I think is still on the air, like the station itself.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Here's a great thread about the Payola Episode:

http://www.soulstrut.com/forums/viewthread/5557/

• I was a big WKRP fan. I've probably have seen all the episodes twice. I wanted to get the DVD set a while back. I read that there was a problem with "clearing" all the rock songs that were in each episode. They remade some of the episodes with generic rock music overdubbed. It was weird and not the same. I guess they've worked it out with the remastered dvr'd?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

Yes!!! Jan Smithers was indeed my favorite babe on WKRP compared to Loni Anderson. She had that 'girl next door/hot nerd' thing working big time.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak