African tapes, many of them! Feeling dizzy now.

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
A quick search didn't reveal this website has been discussed on here before. Sorry if I should be wrong. Someone just showed me this here

http://www.awesometapes.com/

Great, great work they've done there.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I think I first heard about them after the dude did a Boiler Room set. Have since copped this re-ish:

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    BBC Radio made a show about the dude who runs the site trying to track down Ata Kak and reissue this track that the internets had been going nuts over when they found him Ata was shocked they liked it because the tape had degraded and was playing the song all wonky, but until then everyone had just assumed that was part of the intended sound. Shit has a charm for sure, but I also find it kinda unlistenable tbh.

I remember the old blog from years ago when it was just another of the many music sharing blogspots, crazy how it's now a business and dude it touring the country off the back of it.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    that Na Hawa Doumbia LP is pretty nice, and I think he's the one who put out some recent Hailu Mergia reissues. I would scour through his old blog every once in a while, it's kind of hit and miss but there's some cool stuff and I give him props just for the sheer variety of music he put up there. Look up the Penny Penny ones if you want some heavy 80s dance music vibes.

I also remember dude would do the occasional tape deck dj gig.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Wow. Overwhelming.

• MowgliMowgli 19 Posts
    really dig this album they re-issued from 1985:

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Mowgli said:

That was a rather random contribution to this thread...

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    Mowgli said:

Well, Uku Kuut sounds faintly african and P.P.U. is kind of rescuing lost recordings too.

BTW, I like pizza.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

I think I first heard about them after the dude did a Boiler Room set. Have since copped this re-ish:

That piano at 5:40!

• MowgliMowgli 19 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    Mowgli said:

Whoops, yeah just realizing now i mixed the two labels up. Well, nonetheless P.P.U is akin to Awesome Tapes and is worth checking out.

LaserWolf said:
    Duderonomy said:

That piano at 5:40!

I don't have the record to hand, but from memory the liner notes said that when she was born her grandmother, who was a musician, predicted that she would become a singer, so her parents took her to a blacksmith to have this "curse" lifted. The blacksmith's magic failed and her grandmother's prediction came true.

• uku kuut is estonian. "visions of estonia".

ATFA just re-ished this on a 7"

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    not sure if he was the first to unearth this frimpong belter but its where i heard it first, dude was around way before the analogue africas et all

thems drums get me every time

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    mickalphabet said:
    not sure if he was the first to unearth this frimpong belter but its where i heard it first, dude was around way before the analogue africas et all

Damn! That's that good stuff right there.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    mickalphabet said:

Classic and amazing track but 2009 (Upload date) is actually pretty late... first time this was comped was in 2001. The original was probably the most sold Ghanaian record ever... and the most played, you usually find 20 hammered copies before you get one that's barely VG+.

When I went to an open air restaurant in Kumasi one evening in '07 or so the live band played a killer version of this. Goosebump-inducing...

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Frank said:
    mickalphabet said:

Classic and amazing track but 2009 (Upload date) is actually pretty late... first time this was comped was in 2001.

That refers to the Duncan Brooker's Afro Rock compilation, right?
    There was a generation before those who have been driving the revival in the 2000s: In the 80s and 90s many unnamed or forgotten promoters brought African musicians over to Europe for concert tours and I still remember that at every gig there were record dealers with a good selection. I also remember some small mail order record shops dealing in African imports. I guess that out of that scene grew labels like Network Medien in Germany who already issued a CD compilation back in 1990 featuring Kyenkyen Bi Adi M'awu.