Dallas Trolls Say Their Hip-Hop Is Better Than Houston's

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Major LOL!!!

But something I find interesting is that DJ Snake out of Dallas was putting slowed down versions, or at least slowed down segments of songs on record years before the emergence of DJ Screw down in Houston...

1987:

1989:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Theres also zerox - blurs and slurs

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    With the exception of Geto Boys, arguing which Texas city has a better hip hop scene is like arguing whether Rebecca Black or Ice JJ Fish is a better Youtube artist.

Grafwritah said:
    With the exception of Geto Boys, arguing which Texas city has a better hip hop scene is like arguing whether Rebecca Black or Ice JJ Fish is a better Youtube artist.

Ignorance is bitch.

HarveyCanal said:
    Grafwritah said:

Ignorance is bitch.

There's some catchy stuff that turns up from time to time, but overall I just can't get down with the speech impediment style that gets churned out down there.

Yeah, UGK. What assholes they are for rapping with Texas accents. Got it.

• Just picked up that Ron C LP a couple days ago at a goodwill, still need to give that one a listen.
    Being originally from the north east not many people got down with TX hop hop but everybody I knew fucked with UGK, Some of the best hip hop albums of the 90's.

HarveyCanal said:
    Yeah, UGK. What assholes they are for rapping with Texas accents. Got it.

Get your panties out of a bunch. Not everyone has to fall all over the ground for some synth beats and a bunch of rappers who sound like they are recovering from a stroke. There are some good ones in there - Geto Boys, UGK had some good stuff, I'll even throw in some Paul Wall but I think I more liked the Salih Williams beats than anything.

There are people that do or don't like East or West Coast, Dirty South, Miami, whatever, get over it. As for the Dallas vs. Houston scenes, that's like arguing whether Pittsburgh or Louisville is the better. Secondary markets bro. No need to get upset because someone isn't down with what you like.

No, really. Please keep going. Synth beats. There's no Mike Dean nor Pimp C. DJ Premier didn't cut his chops at TSU. DJ Screw isn't a worldwide phenomenon. Fila Fresh Crew never brought us DOC. Devin the Dude, what a mumbler. Z-Ro, I saw him at Taco Cabana and he was at least 4 deep, sheesh. Steers and queers...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    graftwritah sounds like your reference point is a narrow window of a few years vs decades of jamz

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Just out of curiosity...who from Dallas is really making waves in the world of Hip Hop? We know about the ties that DOC and P.E.A.C.E have with the Dallas, but has there really been anyone else that made that much of an impact.

Even with my time spent in Texas, I can only recall a few Dallas acts that were pretty good, but nothing that could hold a candle to the music coming out of Houston.

Who do Dallas folks consider their "Devin/Z-Ro/etc.?"

Six 2 outta Dallas wound up on Chronic 2001. This was him in '95...

He raps country as fuck, which is one of the things I especially LIKE about him...so yeah, my favorite Dallas rapper of all-time is Money Waters...

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts