Replacing a power supply for a Vestax 05 Pro III (I'm an idiot related)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
Just drove out to the middle of nowhere to hang for the weekend and thought it would be fun to bring my gear and practice a few times.

Forgot the goddamn power brick for the mixer.

There is no way this little mountain town has the factory replacement part and I'm an idiot when it comes to power conversions/etc.

Is it possible that a local radio shack might have a legit replacement power supply or is it not worth potentially frying my shit?

Thanks for any help anyone might have to offer....

Fuck. So annoying to pack gear all meticulously only to forget that.

Comments

• Radio Shack might have something like this?
    http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/adaptors-power-supplies/international-adaptor-3-12v-dsnz-m9927

you can change the voltage and plug.
    (if that is what you mean!)

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    That might be perfect. I always thought there was more to matching the replacement than just voltage and plug. Is that it, or are there other issues that could fry the equipment if I don't consider/match them?

• check the power specs on the mixer (either on a sticker underneath, or online) and find a match.
    eg; Pioneer DJM 900
    Power source: 120 V AC (60 Hz)
    Power consumption: 42 W
    http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/gear.aspx?product=DJM-900nexus

you could find the exact one in a store, but the adjustable one might be a safer bet?

*edit*
    you clearly stated the brand and model!
    POWER : DC 15V 500mA (adaptor : DC-15A DM )

johnblack said:

*edit*
    you clearly stated the brand and model!
    POWER : DC 15V 500mA (adaptor : DC-15A DM )

Thank you for all this info. Just so I understand clearly, the power supply in the link you provided (if that were one available at the radioshack in town) would not actually be a match for my particular requirements correct?

Considering it wants 15V at 500mA and the power supply in the link doesn't have a 15V setting, nor is it rated for 500mA.

Not to say that's bad, I just need to make sure that whatever I do get matches the above specs, correct?

• yep, just write it down and find someone who knows what's up.

johnblack said:
    yep, just write it down and find someone who knows what's up.

Done. Thanks again for the help.

• BE CAREFUL!!!

in the past i've known other dj's to use other power sources only to have them seriously damage their mixer. i was told a long time ago that ONLY a vestax plug will work in a vestax mixer. you might want to research that first.

cuthbert151 said:
    BE CAREFUL!!!

in the past i've known other dj's to use other power sources only to have them seriously damage their mixer. i was told a long time ago that ONLY a vestax plug will work in a vestax mixer. you might want to research that first.

Thanks, man. I have heard that, as well. I ended up not even messing with it, actually. I didn't even look for a replacement. Sucked because I hauled the gear on a 5 hour trip for no reason (other than to take up a bunch of space in my car) but I was ultimately a little too scared to risk frying my gear.