bobdjukic magic and mystery man

freqazoidiacfreqazoidiac 1 Post
edited January 2015 in Strut Central
I'm sure many have heard of bobdjukic on ebay.
Probably the most astounding phenomenon in terms of how much one person can continuously fetch for LP records.
I must admit once you build up reputation by providing goods as described, your bids will go up.
He must have been connected with some sort of radio station or distro network at one time , as I used to see many DJ pressings
but not so much any longer.
He does offer the top of condition and usually 1st pressings, promo copies ect, but I have no way to verify as I don't generally buy on ebay , only sell so I have never had one of
his offerings in my hands. Actually I tend to avoid looking at his auctions since it's rather depressing ;)
But sometimes in searches it's impossible to look at that final price - and when you see astronomical - I can usually bet on
bobdjukic .

Here's an example of the magic. I personally just sold a 1st press MadCap laughs by Syd barrett - UK gatefold. The exact same offering he just posted and sold . I was happy with what I received and that was around $80. An album I bought online 10 years ago for $15. Mine was basically mint which I posted as EXCELLENT as 'mint' is quite a bomb like keyword I tend to avoid because in my world
people will take you to the bank if they subjectively feel it's one way to the south of Mint.
He posted the same LP - same month - and his copy fetched 4x the amount. I vomited in my mouth. haha.

Well bobdjukic applies MINT to many items. this could be his concurrent success - but of course he would have to provide the mint copy which appears to be the case. Non played items but open. Interesting he could keep hitting them out like that for what, 12 years now?
I think there could possibly be some bid seeding going on - a small triangle game with no more than a couple people who possibly share the profits - but that's nefarious thinking and simply an idea. In truth, at this point I do think he just has built a solid reputation by offering clean 1st pressings that hardcore collectors are desperate for, no matter how insane that may seem.

Happy new year 2015 and hope all who sell are even 1/4 as profitable as bobdjukic ;)

Comments

• I can't stand him.
    He goes from saying 'mint' in the title, to 'near mint' in the item description, to 'may have superficial marks, probably inaudible' in his grading definition.

Uh, ok.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    MINT DOES NOT EXIST IN THE RECORD WORLD. NEVER WILL!

But yeah... back in my day it was the almighty Anthony Pearson who would KILL it with the prices. Same with the dude from St. Louis who had all the funk and soul. It's all about branding, volume, and delivering an accurately described product in a professional manner. These people usually have a staff and overhead. So they should command those prices.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    RAJ said:

But yeah... back in my day it was the almighty Anthony Pearson who would KILL it with the prices. Same with the dude from St. Louis who had all the funk and soul. It's all about branding, volume, and delivering an accurately described product in a professional manner. These people usually have a staff and overhead. So they should command those prices.

Don't forget about Caverndiscos. He was pulling above average prices for certain titles too.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    RAJ said:

Don't forget about Caverndiscos. He was pulling above average prices for certain titles too.

Yeah... He was more consignment I think which would explain all the heavy stuff he had. He is now out of the record game and a Bay Area tech startup personality.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    You can see the Mints in his eyes...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Whose descriptions always start "from my personal collection"?
    I thought it was him, but maybe not.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that once you buy from him you start getting discount offers. These discounts help inflate the auction price.

Can someone confirm?