Merde Ouiais!

• je suis charlie, aussi.

b/w

nous sommes charlie

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Nutters plaese to stop

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    R.I.P. To those that died at Charlie Hebdo and the kosher market today.

Hate and anti-semitism are still very much prevalent in the world today and this is a painful reminder.

• Should be more like Je n'ai pas été Charlie. They were singled out because most papers/media only preach freedom of speech, CH actually took it seriously.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• ^Yep. And either mostly refusing to publish the cartoons outright or doing so in a censored way. Professing solidarity with the murdered whilst paying fealty to their murderers. Disgusting

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Defending freedom of speech and condemning the violent acts of an extremist few doesn't mean that you have to agree with the published content of Charlie or reprint it.
    They are two separate things.

• kicks79 said:
    Defending freedom of speech and condemning the violent acts of an extremist few doesn't mean that you have to agree with the published content of Charlie or reprint it.

No shit Captain Obvious. But fuck you anyway.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    kicks79 said:

No shit Captain Obvious. But fuck you anyway.

Calm down there big dog.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    At least R. Crumb was there to represent 'Murica

b/w

"Hundreds of millions of Muslims support an attack like this. They applaud an attack like this. What they say is, ‘We don’t approve of violence, but you know what? When you make fun of the Prophet, all bets are off.”

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

b/w

"Hundreds of millions of Muslims support an attack like this. They applaud an attack like this. What they say is, ‘We don’t approve of violence, but you know what? When you make fun of the Prophet, all bets are off.”

There's 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. You don't think 15% of them could be in favor of punishment for blasphemy?

• Bon Vivant said:
    Rockadelic said:

b/w

There's 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. You don't think 15% of them could be in favor of punishment for blasphemy?

It's probably higher. Just look at our own right-wing Xian fundies. Whenever an abortion doctor is killed there's a whole lot of, "We oppose violence, but..." going on.

I don't know who Rock was quoting - maybe Bill Maher. But the quote is not wrong.

So Charlie are going with another Mohammed cartoon on their cover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11341453/Charlie-Hebdo-puts-Mohammed-on-cover.html

Of course, the wheaksawce Telegraph has failed to show the whole cover.

#EtesVousVraimentCharlieOuSimplementMerdeDePoulet?

• BobBob 19 Posts
    2000 Nigerians were killed by Boko Haram on the same day.
    Will the world leaders go and link arms there next?

It appears 2000 dead Nigerians don't seem to serve a political agenda in the West, so the reporting is of the tumbleweed nature in the mainstream outlets.

I read the bit about them sending a 10-year old girl into a crowd with a suicide vest on and remotely triggering it.

Truly sickening.

Where is the Nigerain Army doe?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Looking forward to all the right-wing governments banking off this.

One of CH employees was fired some years back for anti-semitism. FREE SPEECH in effect!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    It appears 2000 dead Nigerians don't seem to serve a political agenda in the West, so the reporting is of the tumbleweed nature in the mainstream outlets.
    I read the bit about them sending a 10-year old girl into a crowd with a suicide vest on and remotely triggering it.
    Truly sickening.

Last I heard, the Nigerian Army/Gov't are claiming only 150 lives lost?!?!

I suspect the ongoing power struggles and kleptocracy that haunts much of Africa plays into effect in this case, but aside from a #hashtag it does seem like the West could continue to give about 2-fucks for any of the atrocities from boko haram.

That said -- this shouldn't take away from the issue at hand in Paris.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    the Boko Haram situation in Nigeria is very much different than with IS. There are several factors that make this especially troublesome and my outlook on this is super grim.

-Boko Haram is being supported financially by various wealthy businessmen and local politicians because this threat works for their agendas. The ways of financing and the supporters in the shadows will not be exposed.

-the Nigerian police and even the military are not as well equipped and possibly trained than Boko Haram combatants. They are also not much motivated cause they often go months without pay. West African police forces and the military work in a way where employment and promotions have to be bought and superiors are keeping the pay, paying their lower ranks whatever they feel like -which quite often is nothing at all. On top of all of this they're all scared shitless. For good reason. How do you deal with heavily armed hordes that are not at all afraid to die in battle?

-Nigeria produces more crude per day than Irak and has vast reserves, many untapped. Exact numbers are not available because a good portion of crude gets sold for suitcases full of cash as supertankers disappear on the horizon. A certain degree of political chaos is needed by the West to sustain these corrupt structures so everybody can buy their crude for peanut money.

-Goodluck (you'd be hard pressed to come up with a more ironically named political figure in the entire history of Mankind) Jonathan uses the Boko Haram threat to rally his supporters for next month's elections.

-Nigeria is religiously divided between the traditionally Muslim North and the predominantly Xian South. The unwritten law of Nigerian politics says that with every 4 year term a Xian president is being replaced by a Muslim. Just so everybody is happy the Vice president is usually member of the other religion. When previous president Umara Musa Yar'Auda (Hausa Muslim from the North) died in 2010, Goodluck J. took office because he was the Vice president. In 2011 he ran for the presidential elections and (obviously) won which a lot of the Northern Muslims didn't like cause he had already been in office and not even voted into office but became president due to the death of "one of their own". I have numerous reasons to hope he won't win the next election, this could easily culminate in a civil war that could very easily spread to Niger and Cameroon.

-Niger's military has declared they won't be involved anymore with the multi-national troops that re trying to battle Boko Haram after the most recent massacre where one of their joined military bases was basically over-run and wiped out. Cameroon already had their troops engage in full scale combat with Boko Haram a few weeks ago.

-Goodluck J. says he doesn't have the funds to get better equipment for his troops but early last September he got caught trafficking close to 10 Million US$ of undeclared money to South Africa on a private jet. Some pastor and an Israeli businessman were also involved... keep in mind that this was the one super rare occurrence where he actually got caught.

Oil is the new blood diamonds... I honestly don't want to think about where things are going to go not only for Nigeria but for the entire region.

There are numerous sources to further re-search all of this online but it is very hard to grasp the full grimness of the situation.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Sorry for derailing the thread... that whole Charlie Hebdo shit to me stinks to the high heavens, it's a shit paper and this tragedy is being exploited by every asshole left and right. I'll mention that (staged) picture of world leaders (not) leading that protest march because of its strong symbolic character.

Other than that, I have only one comment:

"NON, JE NE SUIS PAS CHARLIE!"

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I was always under the impression that Boko Haram only caused international concern when it seemed they were a threat to the flow of oil out of Nigeria and once they got that sorted out the international community stopped giving a fuck.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The Oil will always flow. The powers to be won't ever give a shit from whom they buy it. Same with other resources. It's always been like that.

Once I start talking about shit like this I have to force myself to stop... don't want to spoil my day, I just got back from a fun early morning surf session, time for some Ceviche, a big joint and then lie in the hammock and watch the girls walk by.

Fuck the World!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    at least Fox News is talking to all the right people about this issue:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• Frank said:
    time for some Ceviche, a big joint and then lie in the hammock and watch the girls walk by.

Fuck the World!

No disrespect to the seriousness of this thread but hold the presses, did you just suggest that you're smoking WEED now?
    What's next, turkey bacon and kale chips?

The world is truly knocked on its head now.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Truly sickening.

Although I've read one report from a journalist who claims to have walked a distance of five kilometres in Baga where he had to step over corpses the whole way, the actual meat-and-potatoes reporting isn't perhaps as straightforward a matter as we imagine it to be.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    ^Yep. And either mostly refusing to publish the cartoons outright or doing so in a censored way. Professing solidarity with the murdered whilst paying fealty to their murderers. Disgusting

When you're right, you're right.

Nobody has noticed the knob gag on the cover of the new issue, then?