December Finds

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
Not seen very well are Jon Anderson's "Olias of Sunhillow" and Ice (self-titled '73 Prestige LP by those better known collectively as the Layfayette Afro Rock Band). "Musak of the 80s" is a dollar turd, like the The Realistics, as it suggests (studio band "New Edition" doing instrumental covers of 'Bette Davis Eyes', 'Endless Love', etc for satellite radio broadcast in supermarkets and such) but it has a version of "The Magnificent Seven" theme and I like the jacket design. "Walk Don't Run" is another winner from Quincy for Cary Grant's retirement film set during the '66 Olympics in Japan.

Comments

• some LPs

and a nice stack of 45s

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Nice to see the Sylvers in there, and the Counts!
    I was heartbroken when my first Sylvers I LP arrived in the post snapped in half...
    Finally I got hold of I, II & III all sealed.. and I keep the broken copy on my mantelpiece

• nice hauls. that pat martino "desperado" is my favourite record of his and probably one of the best things ever put out by prestige...the track "express" is my shit:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Feldman: Good stuff. I was listening to HRD during the morning drive earlier this week. I really like "Extensions", too.

• yeah, i was happy with the haul, it was from a nice two day digging binge that i desperately needed, hit a town with two shops i hadn't been to in a few months then hit the record fair at amherst the next day. sylvers is a dub thats gonna make a nice christmas gift for a good friend. harlem river drive was ten bucks!! and plays pretty great, i was syked! also happy to snag the counts for a low price too, what a great record. totally digging the pat martino too. still soakin it all in, blazed through the 45s a ton over the weekend and made a real simple mix to share some of the tunes with a few buddies, gonna upload it to some kinda streaming site in a few and will edit it into this post for others to enjoy.

EDIT: sippin something nice and feelin so mellow....

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    nice hauls. that pat martino "desperado" is my favourite record of his and probably one of the best things ever put out by prestige...the track "express" is my shit:

Pat martino's story is amazing. I hope someone makes a documentary about him one day.

Whoa! Niagra. What did that put you back?

• found niagara at a record show for a bill, didn't think twice. there was also a copy of sub that my buddy grabbed.

even the though the price was a steal, somehow over the past year or so, a hundo has become a totally reasonable amount of cash to me to be dropping on a single record.

pat martino is boss and his story is truly inspiring.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Some finds from last few months

From the Beat Swap Meet on Sunday

Some records I purchased for $25 total last night after a screening of "Putney Swope" (First time. Hilarious shit!) and seeing the Red Hill Quartet in Pasadena.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nice. COAA is underrated.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mini said:

Lots of great stuff in that haul, dude. Nice work.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Thanks, most of them from flea markets and thrift stores (except Bollywood ones, Skorpio, Otis & Sarmanto and Syrius)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    mini said:

That Skorpio record is the tits.

• minimini 879 Posts
    It really is.
    Mini is also great:

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

[strong]Burgess Meredith (as The Penguin) - The Capture [1966][/strong]

Now, I'm no Batman fanatic, but as soon I heard this record I immediately had to grab it. Listen to the clips below, it is basically the first ever gangsta rap record. Burgess Meredith describes, in spoken word rhyme how he gets nabbed by Batman, and escapes from Jail.

also, the beats are really tight!

Side A:
    Side B:

Also some joints from Japan

[strong]Sandii ‎– Eating Pleasure [1980][/strong]

First pressing with alternate sleeve design. This was replaced within weeks with the swimsuit picture sleeve, which you'll see on the youtube clips. In the image above I've pulled out the lyric sheet and the Japanese translation sash, which are in perfect condition.

This is an odd-ball electronic J-pop record from Sandii who appears to be a bit of a long standing sexy Japanese pop star. Most of the record is pretty standard stuff, but the reason I got it is the following track.

An amazing spacey pop track that could be from any time in the future, present or past:
    Zoot Kook:
    also
    Drip Dry Eyes:

[strong]The Breakfast Band - Dolphin Ride [1982][/strong]

The breakfast band are a UK/Japan instrumental jazz funk band with a tropical tinge. They use steel drums and the like to give off an island vibe.

LA 41
    Tokyo Shuffle

[strong]Tatsuro Yamashita ‎– For You [1982][/strong]

Japanese yacht rock right here, by Tatsuro Yamashita. Apparently he's very popular with Vaporwave producers. Smooth jazz and disco vibes. Very pleasant.

Love Talkin'
    Sparkle

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Haven't done one of these in literally years. Just got back from Brazil and brought home a few things. All in all I came back with about 50-60 records. Knocked a couple off my wantlist for sure and some for pretty cheap - and some definitely not so cheap...

• You lucky bastard Day! I've been after Vento Sul for what seems like forever. How is that Erasmo Carlos compared to Sonhos E Memorias? I love that record to death.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    You lucky bastard Day! I've been after Vento Sul for what seems like forever. How is that Erasmo Carlos compared to Sonhos E Memorias? I love that record to death.

that Erasmo LP is fucking awesome, better than Sonhos e Memorias IMO. I'm guessing that's on the not-so-cheap list of records Day picked up, otherwise he got incredibly lucky.

• damn Day!.....

yeah that Erasmo record is maybe the best in that pile?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    damn Day!.....

Hmm...I mean, it's all open to personal opinion. I prefer Sonhos e Memorias over Carlos, Erasmo, but they're two totally different vibes. The Mazzotti is no slouch either.

Vento Sul is one of the best finds IMO. I was able to grab all the records in the first pic for the price of one of the Valle's.

Btw, does anybody have a copy of Quem e Quem they wanna trade/sell me?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    day said:
    willie_fugal said:
    damn Day!.....

Hmm...I mean, it's all open to personal opinion. I prefer Sonhos e Memorias over Carlos, Erasmo, but they're two totally different vibes. The Mazzotti is no slouch either.

Vento Sul is one of the best finds IMO. I was able to grab all the records in the first pic for the price of one of the Valle's.

Btw, does anybody have a copy of Quem e Quem they wanna trade/sell me?

I've got a copy, but can't part with it.

There's one on the cogs for 175 GBP.

• day said:
    I prefer Sonhos e Memorias over Carlos, Erasmo, but they're two totally different vibes. The Mazzotti is no slouch either.

Looks like I need to find that Erasmo LP sometime... Love that Orlandivo as well.

Here's my two faves from this month. I wish I could say I got the Mireilles at a flea market in Sao Paulo, but sadly not. It's a long time want got.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Some shit over the past few weeks. Coffy was bought on Ebay, advertised as NM, came scratched up but plays good, so I'm probably gonna keep it. Cover is clean as hell though. Relatively clean Walter Bishop for 12bucks? I'll take it. Mystic Merlin is dope.
     photo 20141223_231909_zpsb4ba9fd9.jpg
     photo 20141223_232030_zpsde17b1f0.jpg

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    day said:

Wow, I love that Danilo Caymmi record! Especially these two tracks:

Too bad he hasn't been as prolific as his dad. I think he only released one solo album in the 70's?

• that walter bishop is great, best thing on black jazz for my money. check out this video where he explains the theory behind that record:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    speaking of the Caymmis, the third generation in the family is now putting out music. Alice Caymmi has an interesting album, even if it seems to borrow heavily from Portishead:

• crabmongerfunk said:
    that walter bishop is great, best thing on black jazz for my money. check out this video where he explains the theory behind that record:

Cosine! One of my desert island joints.

Thanks for the vid

• img src="" alt="" />

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Some more for the end of the year scooped up today...
     photo 20141228_195919_zps9bf72335.jpg