Hostage situation in Sydney right now

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-15/sydney-siege-hostages-cafe-martin-place-police-operation/5967232

So this is happening right now in the heart of Sydney. Pretty crazy. At least one armed guy with unknown number of hostages and a firearm and who doesn't seem to have made any kind of demands yet despite brandishing some form of Jihardist flag in the window of the cafe he has in lockdown. My dad works in a Government building not far from here - he's been told no-one except authorised personell in or out, and he can't leave at the moment.

It's early days yet, but this could be the first terrorism-related thing to happen in Oz since... I dunno - ever?

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Crazy. Stay safe, dude.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Stay safe, Sydneysiders.

Our best friends just emigrated to Sydney, they are staying 70m away. Trying to get to Balmain but locked down.

Hoping this can be resolved without loss of life.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    So far five hostages have somehow managed to escape, but there's no clear information as to how. Early info that isn't being too widely talked about yet is that:
    - the guy has made two demands: that an IS flag be delivered, and that he get to speak to the Prime Minister
    - He's claimed he has two bombs inside the cafe and two located somewhere else

My dad saw police checking bins around the area while he was holed up in his office. It's hard to tell whether this is alone nutter or some coordinated thing, but hope is still being held out for a peaceful resolution. No one has been hurt yet so here's hoping.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    The police are trying to keep all details suppressed while insisting everyone go about their business as usual (except in the exclusion zone). Come into the CBD even. Weird. State health have confirmed one of the released/escaped hostages is receiving treatment in hospital and then moments later the deputy police commissioner says they are currently just assessing if the hostages are ok or not. Then a reporter asks if they realise that hostages are posting facebook updates detailing demands the gunman has made. Strange times.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    And over? Except for the investigation into how it happened, and why people died?

• couldn't sleep last night and caught the final moments live online.
    seemed like he started shooting and other hostages made a break, or they made a break and he started shooting.
    either way it gave the police the window / excuse to rush him.
    unless the cops caught a few civilians on the confusion, i think the scenario is pretty straight forward.
    another example of people who are known to police / feds and yet somehow still buy a weapon and cause mayhem (the boston marathon bombers come to mind too).
    I know they can't watch every fringe dweller with an axe to grind 24/7, but they will probably use this as an excuse to try.

Sad end to this.

• LaserWolf said:
    And over? Except for the investigation into how it happened, and why people died?

I'll take lone nut influenced by fanatical douchebags for $1,000, Alex.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Kinetic said:

It's early days yet, but this could be the first terrorism-related thing to happen in Oz since... I dunno - ever?

Nah weve had some already - Hilton bombing, the Hakoah sports club, Croatian sepratist did some stuff too in the 70s, etc. I dont think this cunt was actually connected to any organisation just a fucked up individual who took his problems out on innocent ppl.

Side note: me and my gf had our first date at that cafe.

This fucker first came to the attention of authorities n media years ago for writing offensive letters to the families of deceased soldiers ( i remember they interviewed him and he was ranting bullshit). He was out on bail atm for 2 seperate charges - accesory to murder of his ex wife n 40 counts of sexual assault.

• Heroic cafe manager, tragic death of a mother of three. To early to know, but just speculating, it seems the Sydney police doesn't have very much experience or practice dealing with these situations. It seems like they took a page from the Russian playbook, too early to tell though, maybe they acted on time critical info. Seems like they let little time pass with negotiations before blitzing.

• Soul Zilla said:
    Heroic cafe manager, tragic death of a mother of three. To early to know, but just speculating, it seems the Sydney police doesn't have very much experience or practice dealing with these situations. It seems like they took a page from the Russian playbook, too early to tell though, maybe they acted on time critical info. Seems like they let little time pass with negotiations before blitzing.

So a groupie nimrod like you who applauds the shoot-black-guys-on-sight approach of many American cops has higher standards when it comes to foreign bacon. Jeezus, you're one reptilian piece of work.

LokoOne said:
    Kinetic said:

Nah weve had some already - Hilton bombing, the Hakoah sports club, Croatian sepratist did some stuff too in the 70s, etc. I dont think this cunt was actually connected to any organisation just a fucked up individual who took his problems out on innocent ppl.

1788?

From what Ive read so far I think the cops did the right thing, I think they figured out early on this cunt was a lone wolf nutter and tried the peaceful negotiation route while being cautious in evacuating the area. Sounds like they heard shots go off and then stormed the place. Whats not known clearly is if some of the other wounded hostages got shot accidently by the cops. But we'll have to wait and see what else pops up in post investigations. The big issue here atm is why he was out on bail - thats become the political football being kicked around today.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    What Loko One said. How you doing over there in WA mate?

All good out here bro - slower pace than Syd but great place to live. They even got some nice rekkid spots!

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    All good out here bro - slower pace than Syd but great place to live. They even got some nice rekkid spots!
    Welcome to WA!