Which of you is behind this?

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
http://vinylmeplease.com

:get_on_my_level:

Comments

• "You’ll also receive a custom cocktail pairing (recipe) and an album-inspired piece of art from one of our favorite artists."

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Despite this Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde-personality he was a much loved musician and recorded a [strong]fairly[/strong] amount of excellent records of which most still are in stock, due to the fact that he is the best selling tenor saxophonist in jazz.

English fail, I'm out.

• Despite this Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde-personality he was a much loved musician and recorded a [strong]fairly[/strong] amount of excellent records of which most still are in stock, due to the fact that he is the best selling tenor saxophonist in jazz.

English fail, I'm out.

"most of which are still in stock"??

isn't that supposed to say "most of which are still in print"?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    The best damn record club out there.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Despite this Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hyde-personality he was a much loved musician and recorded a [strong]fairly[/strong] amount of excellent records of which most still are in stock, due to the fact that he is the best selling tenor saxophonist in jazz.

English fail, I'm out.

"most of which are still in stock"??

isn't that supposed to say "most of which are still in print"?

Shouldn't that be "most of which are still in press"?

I think Dante is behind this.

I signed up! I hope they don't want money.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    they're saying a Beirut album is one of 52 LPs you "must own"

is this like the Columbia Club of records? If I get 12 for the price of 1 when I join, I'm in (if they have 12 I want).

• how dare someone start a record related company without putting it in front of us first to absolutely shred to bits.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    These sorts of things can be pretty cool. I was a member of a 7" single of the month club several years ago. Got some whatever random stuff, but also got the first Black Keys 7" in a woodcut-pressed, hand-numbered sleeve.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    is this like the Columbia Club of records?
    The Columbia Club 30 years ago was the Columbia Club of records.

Those album descriptions read like excerpts from the J. Peterman catalogue.

I also had no idea that Diarrhea Planet was an essential part of any collection.

Not hatin', just observatin'.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    They fixed "Fairly".

he was unpredictable and violent when he had consummated too much of alcohol

Ah well.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    ppadilha said:

ah, when I joined, back in the 90s, all they offered was cds. In what was the first personal use of [em]jugaad[/em] I can remember I actually joined 4 or 5 times, building an instant music collection for the price of a handful of cds.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    how dare someone start a record related company without putting it in front of us first to absolutely shred to bits.

I wish this venture nothing but success!

To be fair, you have to admit the cocktail part is just a little precious. That entitles us to at least one snicker.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:

Those album descriptions read like excerpts from the J. Peterman catalogue.

• I think the concept is cool. I'd take a record a month paired with complimentary stuff. I'm lazy and rarely go record shopping anyways. However, I'm fairly confident it doesn't fall in line with my interests. But, if this were curated by someone well respected, say a Dante, Egon, Cool Chris or whoever, people would be into it. A label like Light in the Attic could probably do something like this that people would be into.

Stark Reality reissue arrives with a jar of bean dip and a recipe for a Kick Ass Hoagy sandwich.

• Danno3000 said:
    vintageinfants said:
    how dare someone start a record related company without putting it in front of us first to absolutely shred to bits.

I wish this venture nothing but success!

To be fair, you have to admit the cocktail part is just a little precious. That entitles us to at least one snicker.

oh i know.... as a matter of fact, my GF told me about it a couple days ago asking if she should sign her dad up for it for xmas. after realizing that last year's records consisted of both madvillain and diarrhea planet i cast my ballot as a wholehearted "yes". i really do wish the best for anyone that actually has a record [em]product[/em] and not just another social media app to meet other stinky steves.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    They fixed "Fairly".

Ah well.

Dude - you've never consummated alcohol before?

Are they reading this thread?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    They fixed "Fairly".

Ah well.

Are they reading this thread?

I dunno, but I did get royally fucked by 5 pints of cider at age 15

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    ppadilha said:

ah, when I joined, back in the 90s, all they offered was cds. In what was the first personal use of [em]jugaad[/em] I can remember I actually joined 4 or 5 times, building an instant music collection for the price of a handful of cds.

As a school kid, we occasionally signed up random kids and send a dozen classical LPs to them, in full knowledge they'd have to repackage and spend half a day at the post office.
    Such a wanky thing to do; but at 14 you care not.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

No.

Never.

You?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Duderonomy said:

No.

Never.

You?

https://i.imgur.com/4LTABkH.jpg

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I stopped at:

skel said:
    As a school kid, we occasionally signed up random kids and send a dozen classical LPs to them, in full knowledge they'd have to repackage and spend half a day at the post office.
    Such a wanky thing to do; but at 14 you care not.

THRAED DERAIL

In college, we used to sign each other up for meetings with military recruiters. Those guys will pursue you to the ends of the earth if they think you have even a passing interest in joining the Marines. Call regularly. Show up at your dorm room randomly. Always in uniform too. WE GET IT DUDE. YOU'RE IN THE MILITARY. And you're posted at the University of Massachusetts student union, so...thanks for your service, I guess?

Funny set up.
    You can't sign up at the web site, instead you ask to be invited.
    They send an email saying a request for invite has been received.
    Day or 2 later they send the invite.
    Cost runs around $25.00 a month.
    Fair amount for an exclusive record with extras.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It's a fun idea... but yeah... would rather choose what I want for $25/month

• betting dollars to donuts this thing is not around in 6 months from now.

the concept irks the shit out of me for some reason. or maybe it's the execution. as someone said earlier, if someone with actual good taste were doing this it could be cool.

i guess what bugs me is that they are trying to trade on their self-professed hipness when it is abundantly clear to anyone who knows a damn thing or actually cares about music that these people are faking the funk in some sort of craven exercise at "lifestyle branding". otherwise, why would anybody need a retro cocktail recipe with their madvillain lp?

the whole setup where you have to ask to be invited to join smacks of faux exclusion and faux elitism that is intended to play on the most insecure consumers ("They don't need me, I need them").

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    betting dollars to donuts this thing is not around in 6 months from now.

the concept irks the shit out of me for some reason. or maybe it's the execution. as someone said earlier, if someone with actual good taste were doing this it could be cool.

i guess what bugs me is that they are trying to trade on their self-professed hipness when it is abundantly clear to anyone who knows a damn thing or actually cares about music that these people are faking the funk in some sort of craven exercise at "lifestyle branding". otherwise, why would anybody need a retro cocktail recipe with their madvillain lp?

the whole setup where you have to ask to be invited to join smacks of faux exclusion and faux elitism that is intended to play on the most insecure consumers ("They don't need me, I need them").

Pretty much this.

b/w

I want to support all things vinyl for selfish and philosophical reasons. But this venture seems more opportunistic and less authentic. Musically, it's missing the mark, too.

I wish it success through those who have a more mainstream taste.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^^^ And, too, knowing the barest of minimums about "Dante" (referred to here in Josh parlance), thinking that this has his curatorial touch strikes me as tone deaf for a club peddling a three-year-old SBTRKT album, much less his own record.

That said, I'm hoping the URL is tongue-in-cheek and this seems cool maybe for older or way-younger folks who aren't keeping their fingers on the pulse but still have some giveaway money to keep a few records coming. Which is fine for all involved.

RAJ said:
    It's a fun idea... but yeah... would rather choose what I want for $25/month

+1

As for people saying this will fail (which it might) they should not underestimate the number of people looking for someone to tell them what is good and what is hip. Nor should they underestimate the power of manufactured hipness.

• This was in Entertainment Weekly's holiday gift guide.

LaserWolf said:
    they should not underestimate the number of people looking for someone to tell them what is good and what is hip.

NAHMEAN, LURKERS? :bizzo: