unreleased JB's tracks from 1970..

caicai spacecho 362 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
I'm not sure how to put this any way that doesn't seem like a blatant ad. But i thought it would be of interest to most people here.

Now Again are about to issue an unreleased JB's test pressing from 1970

Snippets here (not sure how to embed)

Comments

• James Brown and P-Funk were the first two bands I ever started collecting back in the late 70's. My sixteen year old self would have had a heart attack if I had known this existed. My 50+ year old self is still pretty damned pumped.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I knew of the unreleased People lp, but I didn't know about any unreleased Bootsy era King material. Can't wait until my copy arrives.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    I knew of the unreleased People lp.

you mean the the unreleased live album that sold on ebay a few years ago, or is there another one?

Guzzo said:
    stratasphere said:
    I knew of the unreleased People lp.

you mean the the unreleased live album that sold on ebay a few years ago, or is there another one?

The one that sold a few years back.

• Well, just spent a half hour writing a detailed rundown/review of this and it vanished when I hit submit - thanks new Soul Strut website!

Anyway, it's great, the version of The Grunt is a longer different mix, and the booklet is cool. Buy it before it disappears.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I'm still waiting on my pre-order. Rappcats site says the record is released on 28 November. A bit annoying that shops here have already received and sold all their copies. I thought the whole idea of a pre-order was that you get yours ASAP! First world problems?

• cai said:
    A bit annoying that shops here have already received and sold all their copies. I thought the whole idea of a pre-order was that you get yours ASAP! First world problems?

I guess we're suckers for waiting until the 28th to sell our copies. For NYC people, we'll have stock.

• Picked it up yesterday and gave it a spin. Soul excitement non-stop. Particularly giddy to hear the JBs shedding contemporary hits like Let The Music Take Your Mind, Chicken Strut, and Power of Soul.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm waiting for my pre-order, maybe today.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Mine just arrived.
    Will be enjoying this all weekend along with an as of yet-to-be-determined 6 pack of porter.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Snagged the last copy at my local the other day... actually someone's hold copy after they didn't collect it on time - ... will be checking this weekend too.

Just got mine, I've listened to side one.
    Fantastic, extend guitar breakdowns. Catfish?

Have side two on. Liking.

My expectations were pretty low. Typically unreleased records were unreleased for a good reason, but this set sounds great (so far) and like an album.

Got mine today. It's pretty much a book end of the LP beneath it. I recommend picking up a copy, plenty of moments.

Attached files

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    It's pretty crazy to think of how many classic rap song would have been made from just that last medley track. it would have been on the level of "amen brother" or "synthetic substitution"

Delay said:
    It's pretty crazy to think of how many classic rap song would have been made from just that last medley track. it would have been on the level of "amen brother" or "synthetic substitution"

My exact thoughts when I listened to it. Someone will probably sample it soon.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Delay said:

SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A SICK EP OF BEATS OUT OF FLIPS OF THAT TRACK IF ONLY WE KNEW SOME PEOPLE WHO MAKE SICK BEATS OH WAIT

• i am still waiting on my copy to arrive at the shop, starting to wonder if enough got pressed up given the apparent demand.

just saw this video just now for the first time, thought it was a propos:

• did anybody else get a copy new but not sealed?
    mine was.

and i'm surprised this is so popular?
    i didn't think kids were buying the funk anymore.

Yes unsealed in poly bag with hype sticker.
    I'm not made bout that.
    Kinda disappointment that pre-order came so long after release.

Is this supposed to be limited?

• thought i read 3000 copies somewhere.

Apple store? CD? Do they even make cds anymore?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Delay said:

[strong]SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A SICK EP OF BEATS OUT OF FLIPS OF THAT TRACK IF ONLY WE KNEW SOME PEOPLE WHO MAKE SICK BEATS OH WAIT[/strong]

Fucking cosine!

• LaserWolf said:
    Apple store? CD? Do they even make cds anymore?
    Wax only

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Delay said:

[strong]SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE A SICK EP OF BEATS OUT OF FLIPS OF THAT TRACK IF ONLY WE KNEW SOME PEOPLE WHO MAKE SICK BEATS OH WAIT[/strong]

I think after 92 sampling James Brown was a big no-no; stylistically and legally. I'm just thinking about all of the major label and random rap singles that would have pilfered that track. The "what would have been" aspect kind of blows my mind.

that said, i actually hope people leave this one alone.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Got my pre-order yesterday. Thanks for the shite service Rappcats!

• cai said:

Cats are notoriously bad at customer service. Moody creatures and lazy too.

• is this the same as the record store day release?
    i want one

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    is this the same as the record store day release?

yas

tripledouble said:
    is this the same as the record store day release?
    i want one

Yup, hurry up and catch one at a store because they sold out online.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    cai said:

Cats are notoriously bad at customer service. Moody creatures and lazy too.

yup my shit came way late