BLACK MIRROR

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Now that's a teaser!
    Up to now it's been so well done production-wise - in every respect really - I can't wait to see how it falls apart.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dude, thanks for the heads up on Utopia!! That shit was dope.

• Only seen season 1 so far, but DAMN. That's on some deep dysfunctional human race is fucked up tip.

Great to have something to watch that you can discuss with others. With Google glasses around the corner this is just so timely and on point. Good stuff.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    on netflix now, getting lots of press

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Is there a way I can see this as an Amurican who *gasp* does not have Netflix?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's an Xmas special on soon apparently. Should be available to you yanks via something called directTv apparently.

• i´ve just finished reading ¨men, women and children¨..... it´s kind of a different take on societies relationship with technology and boy is it fucked up. makes you want to walk over to your router with a balpeen hammer.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Okem said:

OK, that looks good.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Watched season one on Netflix. Loved it all.

• couldn't deal with the second ep., but the first and third, my god. it's like twilight zone but better.

edit: holy shit, there is a second season?

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Xmas episode was good and worth watching for fans of the show..... The episodes that hit (white bear, marriage/infidelity, and Bridddish PM) are incredible. Thanks to all that recommended this show. Should I be watching that other British show 'Utopia'? I know there was a thread on it here.... If its anything like Black Mirror, I am interested...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    You should be watching "Utopia".

Season One first.

I don't think I've seen anything harder on TV.

Ever.

Clasp your hands together tightly and peer into the gap between your thumbs...

... "Utopia" is way darker than that.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It would be interesting to know why he's gone to them. I wonder if Netflicks would throw more money at the series..? Or maybe C4 just weren't that interested.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I have a mate back in London who knows him, although I haven't seen him for a few years. I'll see what I can find out.

The obvious conclusion is that Netflix are offering more money and a bigger budget, whereas C4 probably wanted more of a Britain's Sexiest Overweight Teenage Mums On Benefits kind of deal.

EDIT: OK, having sounded out a few friends in The Biz, one of them reckons Netflix may have simply got a non-exclusive licence, which would seem odd if this new season was a co-production, but w/evz. Assuming this to be the case, this would free up Charlie B to sell UK terrestrial TX rights separately, as Netflix and C4 aren't direct competitors, meaning it'll probably go out on C4 at some point after Netflix.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I guess that makes sense. From what I read Channel 4 have some kind of first dibs on UK broadcast rights.
    Not sure how I feel about these digital service providers snapping up established shows. In some cases it great that they can rescue a cancelled show, like Community. On the other hand £160 million for Top Gear just seems ridiculous money and amazon are welcome to it, but Black Mirror is one of the more interesting UK dramas produced recently..

It will be great to see what they can do with a bigger budget, if that is the case. Brooker's shows seem to fairly popular with overseas audiences, Black Mirror has a small US following and the clip of him talking about news coverage of mass shootings in the US has been reposted so many times on Reddit, it's almost become gospel. I guess he's always going to be a bit of niche appeal and unlikely to go full Hollywood like Joe Cornish, Edgar Wright or similar.