Yeezus Tour.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
HOLY FREAKIN' MOLY. Just saw this show tonight and I'm still reeling. I know most of you hate the guy for understandable reasons, but this show cannot be denied. It blew my mind. The set, the set list, the costumes, his masks, his energy (dude did 2.5 hours with no intermission), plus he had Mike Dean on keys and guitar and Tony Williams on backup vocals. So glad I could experience it.

Very little drama too. He stopped the show briefly and asked "How long will it take you guys to get these lights right?" He seemed perturbed (which is totally understandable given the magnitude of the show) but was respectful about it (i.e. no tantrums). He spoke about the Grammys for a it but what I - and probably most people - thought would be an angry rant turned out to be the most inspiring casual speech I've ever heard him say. Seemed off the cuff too. Not scripted.

I really hope at least one other Strutter caught this show and can co-sign me 'cause I know a lot of you foolios will hate on GP.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    How many people were there and did he shout out Alejandro Jodorowsky? I'm sure it was an interesting show.

• Big_Chan said:
    How many people were there and did he shout out Alejandro Jodorowsky? I'm sure it was an interesting show.

It was sold out and its' capacity is 18,000+ (just Googled that). No shout-out to Jodorowsky but I'm not quite sure it was a bite or an homage.

• so he stopped an one point and whined about not getting an award.

and you have to think he does this at every show, every night, around the world.

I'm honestly surprised he can still do this with a straight face. the mind boggles.

• ....and the perfect ending would have been kanye stepping into a make shift cannon and being shot to the moon from the roof of the stadium..lol

i gots no love at all for that guy, glad that you got what you paid for though, those types of shows can be hard to come by...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Breesus > Yeezus.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    so he stopped an one point and whined about not getting an award.

and you have to think he does this at every show, every night, around the world.

I'm honestly surprised he can still do this with a straight face. the mind boggles.

This type of thing is when I *get* Kanye. At the Phx show he had a 20 minute monologue that was more of a casual inspiring speech than a rant. Out of that 20 minutes, maybe 2-3 minutes were about the fact that he only had 2 Grammy nominations, that he has 21 Grammys and he's only 36 and that he's never won a Grammy against a white person. 2-3 minutes out of 20 and the headlines read "KANYE WEST BITCHES ABOUT GRAMMYS SNUB!" Really?? I was there. I heard a lot more than just that.

I'm not even a fanboy. I can't stand him as a person. He's (sometimes) an amazing artist though, and this Yeezus tour he put together was nothing short of amazing.

I wonder sometimes how tarnished some legends' careers would be if we were subjected to their crazy thoughts, rants and dramatic lives via the internet and TMZ back in the day. Like some dude refusing to dance at his daughter's wedding like "I can't believe this DJ's playing this song by this egomaniac asshole James Brown!"

I don't go to concerts to hear 20 minute inspirational speeches, let alone rants. Stick to the music, musician.

• HarveyCanal said:
    I don't go to concerts to hear 20 minute inspirational speeches, let alone rants. Stick to the music, musician.

Go to sleep, Harvey.

Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Go to sleep, Harvey.

• I SAID GO TO SLEEP.

• Kanye only talked for 20 straight minutes.

And only a small part of that was about him being denied awards.

And he only did one concert that day, so c'mon cut him some slack....

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Kanye only talked for 20 straight minutes.

He did 2.5 hours solo, with no intermission and a few quick costume/mask changes. Performed 27 songs in all. Like I said, hate the man for whatever TMZ-inspired reasons you choose, but the man put on a great show and worked his ass off. If he wants to take 20 minutes to complain about a snub and inspire some fans, then by all means, sir, do it! ("If they call you stupid for chasing your dreams, then you tell 'em 'They call Kanye stupid all the time and he built a motherf*cking mountain!")

• Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

He did 2.5 hours solo, with no intermission and a few quick costume/mask changes. Performed 27 songs in all. Like I said, hate the man for whatever TMZ-inspired reasons you choose, but the man put on a great show and worked his ass off. If he wants to take 20 minutes to complain about a snub and inspire some fans, then by all means, sir, do it! ("If they call you stupid for chasing your dreams, then you tell 'em 'They call Kanye stupid all the time and he built a motherf*cking mountain!")

Stop dumbing-down your excuses, Herm.

• GatorToof said:
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

What's my excuse exactly?

• Herm said:
    GatorToof said:
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

What's my excuse exactly?

Excuse for spending your time on Kanye. Nobody care what you do, just don't try to pawn it off on me as some kind of admirable deed.

• You make no sense whatsoever. Go take a nap.

Now back to the tour.... Anybody?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

If he wants to take 20 minutes to complain about a snub and inspire some fans, then by all means, sir, do it! ("If they call you stupid for chasing your dreams, then you tell 'em 'They call Kanye stupid all the time and he built a motherf*cking mountain!")

I don't think anyone is calling him stupid, but they are calling him an egotistical petulant asshole, which he most certainly is. Never has someone needed to get over himself more than Kanye West, stfu, and enjoy being an extremely rich man with a pretty chick as his woman.

• The_Non said:
    Never has someone needed to get over himself more than Kanye West, stfu, and enjoy being an extremely rich man with a pretty chick as his woman.

This I agree with. I wonder what his music would sound like if he was truly happy?

• Herm said:
    I wonder sometimes how tarnished some legends' careers would be if we were subjected to their crazy thoughts, rants and dramatic lives via the internet and TMZ back in the day. Like some dude refusing to dance at his daughter's wedding like "I can't believe this DJ's playing this song by this egomaniac asshole James Brown!"

I actually know people who are very into music but hate James Brown because he used to hit women.

• Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Herm said:

I actually know people who are very into music but hate James Brown because he used to hit women.

For real?? I kinda feel like all that gets washed away as time progresses or when someone dies. That's what I mean about the internet/TMZ aspect of this all. These days we are CONSTANTLY reminded what celebrities are really like and even though it's always best to separate the art from the artist, it's not always easy to.

I honestly think that our generation is gonna be - for lack of a better, non-overused term - hating from here on out. Like I said on FB the other day, I know some guys who seem so angry and anti- that I bet they'll be complaining when "Hold On I'm Coming Home" (a beautiful song from an artist I don't care for) is played at their granddaughter's wedding. I've never heard anybody complain when Prince, MJ or James Brown comes on (other than people who just never like that kind of music to begin with, of course).

Herm said:
    The_Non said:
    Never has someone needed to get over himself more than Kanye West, stfu, and enjoy being an extremely rich man with a pretty chick as his woman.

This I agree with. I wonder what his music would sound like if he was truly happy?

You can enjoy your life and still be kinda unhappy. I've read psych studies saying that's what drives truly insanely wealthy people to make even more is this internal drive to prove something to a person/entity that may or may not exist. I'm not saying Kanye or his music needs to turn into Skittles and paper airplanes, but dude needs to GET A GRIP.
    Dude seems to have a serious anger problem. He needs counseling or something, and to take down a notch.

^^^Babest babe in the woods.

Not you, Non.

• HarveyCanal said:
    ^^^Babest babe in the woods.

Not you, Non.

I thought I told you to go to sleep?!

OK, OK, I think we can ALL agree Kanye's a douche.

Here's an interesting video from the other thread:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Gonna check out his Chicago stop on Tuesday. Looking forward to it!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This fan-shot concert movie is surprisingly good, if a bit ropey sound-wise. It's also 2 hours 20 minutes long. I wish he'd brought that show to Europe because it looks fucking wild.

• Can't remember if I said it already in this thread, but that show was effing AMAZING. Hoping he releases an official video of it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    2006 - the beastie boys hand out 50 cameras for fans to shoot a concert film. ("awesome, i shot that!")

2014 - there is enough unsolicited fan footage on the internet that a fan can edit it together to make a watchable concert film.

watching this, it looks cool, but i think it's overrated because the majority of rapp concerts have always been butt cheeks. it's entertaining but it's not like he's calling down the mothership in this shit -- and i say this as a knye fan.