Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    I just saw that documentary 'sharknado'. It was off the hook!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The subject is so compelling, he is such a great story teller.
    You like him at the same time he repulses you.
    I recommend despite the fact I think the film could have been way better.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    staxwax said:

This was a good watch. I really liked the ending!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Last night I saw "Richard Pryor - Icon" on PBS and enjoyed it.

• Rockadelic said:
    Last night I saw "Richard Pryor - Icon" on PBS and enjoyed it.

Showtime did a very good doc on Richard Pryor recently too.

• Stories We Tell was a very good watch. Using a mixture of old family footage, reconstruction and interviews, it was all mixed up and ultimately quite moving. I thought it portrayed everyone well.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "Cameraman", the one about Jack Cardiff, which was released soon after he died at 94 years old in 2009, is a must for film and especially photography buffs.

• For what it was, I quite enjoyed the Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways series.

• HOLLAFAME said:
    For what it was, I quite enjoyed the Foo Fighters' Sonic Highways series.

I enjoyed it too. Loved learning more about old studios and their stories.

My Dad and I completed watching the final part on Sunday. I've read the books and watched the films about the second World War, but this is the most unique and well executed take on it I have seen so far. It's decidedly US-centric (Luverne, MN; Waterbury, CT; Sacramento, CA and Mobile, AL are the featured spots) and doesn't cover everyone whose lives were altered or destroyed by that hell on earth, but you're working with only 14 hours here. It doesn't gloss over the mistreatment - an understatement - of Asians, blacks, Jews and returning veterans, though. It's heavier when you realize that a majority of the interviewees must have passed away during the eight years since this doc was made, including Daniel Inouye whose stories are the most fascinating and grimey.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

speaking of the Burns brothers, I watched Ric Burns' Enquiring Minds the other day. It's the story of the National Enquirer, actually pretty interesting.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I watched this the other day. Kind of record related, it's not perfect but it's a great glimpse into a world I knew little about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0555v7x

-

Similarly, there's also this documentary that looks purely into Cambodia's rock and roll history. You may be lucky enough to catch it at a festival or small cinema.

Citizen Four. Wish all the people around here who love gov spying and hate Snowden would watch it. Cinematically, it starts off nice, visually interesting, story unfolds as various people tell there little part. Then it falls apart hours (seemingly) of Snowden and reporters in his hotel room while he unfolds the truth (interesting) and does things like types emails to his girlfriend (boring). Over all you need to really pay attention to what is being said and try to process it all as much as possible.

Stax doc. Good.

Jack Johnson Unforgivable Blackness, Kevin Burns doc, very good, I need to watch disc 2.

• Nothing that people on here won't have seen, but in the past few weeks I've watched both Dub Echoes and Looking For The Perfect Beat a handful of times each. Even though I can't really dig a lot of the productions the producers included in LFTPB are responsible for, I still have a lot of time for watching people at work and they all seem like good peoples

Okem said:

Similarly, there's also this documentary that looks purely into Cambodia's rock and roll history. You may be lucky enough to catch it at a festival or small cinema.

I went to the Los Angeles premier last night after work, which included a Q&A with John Pirozzi afterward. I enjoyed it as much as other recent international esoterica docs such as Mike Malloy's "Eurocrime!" I guess JP became interested in the subject when he worked on "City of Ghosts" with James Caan. The archive footage alone is worth the watch. That Drakkar track...damn. I met Xan Cassavetes briefly before leaving too (check the Z Channel doc, btw).

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    i have read noam chomsky's work, but i had never seen 'manufacturing consent' before last week. nfb ftw.

this is well worth three hours of your time...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Watched this last night. Excellent...

Seconded. Harvard Beats Yale 29-29.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I caught the Dock Ellis docu on On Demand yesterday. Didn't know much about him apart from the "LSD no-no", but he was definitely a character, especially if you love baseball. And on the music tip, the score was done by Ad-Rock, as well as tunes by Mickey and the Soul Generation and Death (the Detroit one, not the Florida death metal one). Highly recommended.

http://www.nonoadockumentary.com/

No No: A Dockumentary from No No: A Dockumentary on Vimeo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    pkny said:
    I caught the Dock Ellis docu on On Demand yesterday. Didn't know much about him apart from the "LSD no-no", but he was definitely a character, especially if you love baseball. And on the music tip, the score was done by Ad-Rock, as well as tunes by Mickey and the Soul Generation and Death (the Detroit one, not the Florida death metal one). Highly recommended.

http://www.nonoadockumentary.com/

No No: A Dockumentary from No No: A Dockumentary on Vimeo.

Oh hell yeah! I watched that one last week over at a friend's house. It's amazing. Can't wait to re-watch it.

Qued

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Looking forward to renting this one :

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Atari documentary:

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

Has anyone seen this one?
    I am not so much interested in their work managing The Who as I am about the "swinging London" milieu.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    enjoyed the doc ellis one. he was an original.

"Overnighters" was mind blowing. You all must see it.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

The Record Man Trailer from Giovanni Costa on Vimeo.

Made a separate post about this and got crickets..Caught this at the premier a few months back. Solid work on Henry Stone, TK Disco, and Miami Soul classics. Be sure to check out when it eventually makes it's way to your city/the interwebs.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I highly recommend this! Shep Gordon is an amazing person. Managed Alice Cooper,Teddy Pendergrass,Luther Vandross. It's on Netflix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3074780/

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I recently copped an Amazon Fire TV box, and there's a gang of docus freely available via Prime that'll keep me busy for a while. Watched "A Band Called Death" yesterday, two thumbs up.