GARY BARTZ AS A VOCALIST...

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited November 2014 in Strut Central
the first time i heard his singing voice i literally broke out into laughter, but somehow over the years it has grown to really appreciate it. is this a sign that i have lost my mind? anyone else on board for gary's singing? i hear that gary bartz is considered "tacky funk" by waxidermists.

http://waxidermy.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33832&hilit=gary+bartz

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    i ride.

he's like the conscious mose allison.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    There is an honest quality in his voice that is captured wonderfully in "I've Known Rivers". He doesn't have a rich and refined tone. He doesn't sound like someone who was born with a gifted voice, nor someone who trained for years. There is a vulnerability and honesty in his voice. He's someone who has a musical soul and someone who has seen some shit, and he's sharing it.

He's not an amazing singer, but I definitely appreciate his voice for what it is.

In short, I ride.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Me too. His whole look was this goofy urban prophet kinda thing, with a woody Allenish vibe mixed in. The unpolished vocals were an integral part of that. Totally original style and I love it. Can't believe some of the bullshit on waxidermy saying he was "only good as a sideman". Pretentious crap!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    parallax said:
    There is an honest quality in his voice that is captured wonderfully in "I've Known Rivers". He doesn't have a rich and refined tone. He doesn't sound like someone who was born with a gifted voice, nor someone who trained for years. There is a vulnerability and honesty in his voice. He's someone who has a musical soul and someone who has seen some shit, and he's sharing it.

He's not an amazing singer, but I definitely appreciate his voice for what it is.

In short, I ride.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Reminds me of how i feel about Monty Stark's voice.

(RIP MONTY)
    - Spidey

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Reminds me of how i feel about Monty Stark's voice.

(RIP MONTY)
    - Spidey

exactly. Ben Sidran too.

• I missed the Bartz dissing on Waxi, wtf were they thinking? He's got SO MANY great records. That said, it's a testament to how musically gifted he is to have produced such lovely music while hampered with sub par vocal skillz. More often then not I like his content, but sometimes his delivery can sure sound corny. Joe Bataan sounds unschooled too, but somehow he comes off as sounding legit. But he was soul while Bartz is jazz so it may be a moot point.
    Now when Bartz teemed up with Bey.... that was fire.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    what Parallax said. 'I've Known Rivers' is one of my favourite songs of all time. I need to give Singerella a proper listen...

• leonleon 883 Posts
    His voice is fine. Raw, like Hendrix and those other examples.

I go for Andy Bey as The vocalist for his music. Sometimes it just teams up like that. Just like Lee Dorsey is The voice for Toussaint tracks.

Ride.

• I have no problem with Bartz' voice. He's got just the kind of common-man voice that can pull off a song like "Dozens (The Sounding Song)" or "Standing On The Corner."

However, I don't dig it as much when he's reciting poetry ("Parted").