NO CLIFF HUXTABLE THREAD?

DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
edited December 2015 in Off Topic (NRR)
I'm drinking tea, thinking about this.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    [ban]I'm eating a Jello pudding pop.[/ban]

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• Move over R Kelly, Cosby wants his throne back.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    rapist scumbag
    drugging women and then raping them
    class act
    consultation prize-good to know he will go to the grave disgraced.

it really sucks that all of my Cosby related music projects on lp/45, my fat albert collection[dvd set ,clothing,board game,animation cells, lunch boxes etc],eye spy collection and the 3 flix he did with Poitier are now decimated and tarnished

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Welcome to our UK private hell.
    Started with Jonathan King and Gary Glitter, then in the last few years took in Jimmy Savile, Stuart Hall, Rolf Harris et al.
    All the Brits up in here have had their childhood pop icon memories forever tainted.

Can't hear Space Oddity now without evoking thoughts of rapists and kiddie fiddlers.

• bill is innocent until proven guilty and some the accounts i have heard are highly dubious.... but if he has been doing this and hiding behind that fatherly persona and has been a voice of moral authority all these years then this is pretty bugged out and diabolical. Time to hire a crisis management firm, bill.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    bill is innocent until proven guilty and some the accounts i have heard are highly dubious.... but if he has been doing this and hiding behind that fatherly persona and has been a voice of moral authority all these years then this is pretty bugged out and diabolical. Time to hire a crisis management firm, bill.

He needs the well-known UK celebrity publicist Max Clifford to represent him in such troubled times...

Oh hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Clifford

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    good to see the UK leading in something for once

• Let Cosby have a Geriatric Perv-Off with Woody Allen.

It's weird that these stories are all coming to a head now that Cosby has apparently lost his marbles. I expect him to start walking around with his junk unwrapped any day now.

• how can we enable the "ignore" function again?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Hickey & Boggs was a great movie. Going to see it again at the New Beverly on Sunday.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    dubious

What's dubious is that nobody bothered to listen to any of these women until Hannibal Buress - a man - publicly outed Cos as a serial rapist.

As Ta-Nehisi Coates points out here, none of these crimes can be prosecuted, none of the victims are bringing civil suits and no damages are being sought. So what's their motive for speaking out now? Are they part of a conspiracy to destroy the black man in America, as claimed by Lord Jamar and sundry other tinfoil-hat/Grandpa Simpson rappers? Are they doing it for "publicity"? After all, we've all seen the positive results women get when they decide speak out publicly against or otherwise attempt to shame famous, prominent men. Or could it simply be that they're actually telling the truth and, as was the case in the post-Savile UK, all it needed was someone to finally go public for the floodgates to open concerning a catalogue of abuse that Coates claims to have been aware of as long ago as 2006?

And no shots or anything, but because of the strong likelihood of this thread degenerating into a classic SS cavalcade of bad looks, I'm going to leave it at that.
    LaserWolf

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I think God said it best:

[removed][removed]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    From the 60's LP "Bill Cosby It's True, It's True"....you can't make this shit up

• DocMcCoy said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    dubious

What's dubious is that nobody bothered to listen to any of these women until Hannibal Buress - a man - publicly outed Cos as a serial rapist.

As Ta-Nehisi Coates points out here, none of these crimes can be prosecuted, none of the victims are bringing civil suits and no damages are being sought. So what's their motive for speaking out now? Are they part of a conspiracy to destroy the black man in America, as claimed by Lord Jamar and sundry other tinfoil-hat/Grandpa Simpson rappers? Are they doing it for "publicity"? After all, we've all seen the positive results women get when they decide speak out publicly against or otherwise attempt to shame famous, prominent men. Or could it simply be that they're actually telling the truth and, as was the case in the post-Savile UK, all it needed was someone to finally go public for the floodgates to open concerning a catalogue of abuse that Coates claims to have been aware of as long ago as 2006?

And no shots or anything, but because of the strong likelihood of this thread degenerating into a classic SS cavalcade of bad looks, I'm going to leave it at that.

I have seen false allegations destroy careers, families and lives from a first hand perspective. Cosby may have done all of these bad things he is being accused of (and may he rot if did), but i expect to see some compelling corroborating evidence before condemning him. you may think that's some kind of "bad look" but i disagree.

the civil suits may yet come and they may be warranted. people make up stories, especially about famous people, for all kinds of reasons, not all of which are logical or well thought out. there are witch hunts, moral panics and pilings on. again, none of this is to say any of these women are actually lying about anything but their evidence must be probed and he will need answer some serious questions. ta-nehsi coates gets it dead wrong again.

i don't buy the conspiracy theory that the allegations are only being taken seriously because it was a male comedian who recently brought them back into the spotlight.

And with that, i too bow out of this conversation...

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    From the 60's LP "Bill Cosby It's True, It's True"....you can't make this shit up

iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lvwGfaE0eic?feature=player_detailpage"
    frameborder="0"
    allowfullscreen>

It was funny to see the internet dig this old Cosby gag up. I would hardly say it's evidence.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    About a month ago I heard on the radio about the new Cosby bio that failed to even mention any of the old allegations. And cleaned up all his recent anti-Black youth comments. It was clear it would make things worse not better.

I thought at that time it was time for a Cosby Appreciation thread.
    Cosby did so much good.
    First mainstream, non-stereotype, Black comedian at the height of the civil rights movement.
    I Spy was crazy groundbreaking with Black hero on primetime TV.
    All those great 60s lps, especially To Russell The Brother Whom I slept With, which my siblings and I totally identified with.
    And then all the TV shows and break beats everyone here loves.
    Cosby was very cool, and very important, to both pop culture and society.
    I wish I had started that thread.
    It is too late now.

b/w

Women rarely come out and ruin their lives by making false rape accusations.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A woman just married Charles Manson. Truly anything goes when it comes to what a famous man can do and still get action.

• It's all making sense now:

Listen to this....

• As DocMcoy pointed out, these allegations are nothing new. There actually was a lawsuit filed back in 2005-6, and the only reason they didn't blow up as much was because Cosby settled out of court.

When people making accusations of rape get their motivations questioned, or are then implied to have 'asked for it' when they are eventually questioned about what they were wearing or how much they had been drinking, it often times feels like it's less trouble to NOT come forward.

When you got asshats that have all kinds of fucked up notions about rape in our society, it can paint a pretty ugly picture.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Cosby was an immensely talented man and those early comedy LPs were huge for me. "Noah, it is THE LORD!" "So I spit on him, right on the head."

I miss that guy. He died a long time ago.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I think God said it best:

^ yeah, I want to give The Coz the presumption of innocence, but I also want to give the ladies that too. and when there are so many coming out to make this claim, it's hard for me to not trust him less.

image management laid bare (czech the vid further down the story): http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30143714

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yall dont remember Autumn Jackson?

• "false rape accusations" = "voter ID fraud" = "reverse racism"

All are quite rare compared to the actual thing and on a level of evil far, far below it.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    In a sense, his whole act of trying to be a clean comedian and preach to others, like Eddie Murphy, seems to fit with these rape allegations. It just comes off as another case of someone over compensating to create an image contrary to who they really are.