Records that have eluded you

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2014 in Strut Central
I think I'll be in my 60's when I come across the whatnauts on the rocks lp.

What's yours?

Peace, stein...

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    an OG of Erasmo Carlos' "Carlos, Erasmo" LP has been high on my wantlist for probably the longest. I saw a copy at a São Paulo shop not too long ago but didn't want to shell out the big bucks for it, I'm still convinced I'll find it while digging somewhere.

what about records you spend a long time looking for and then find multiples on the same day? The first LP by Ednardo & O Pessoal do Ceará is one I'd been wanting for a bit and I'd always see an 80s reissue of it but would hold out for the OG. Yesterday I took some records to a shop and grabbed the reissue as part of the trade, figuring it didn't cost me anything and at least I'd have that until I found an OG for cheap. I then walk out of the shop and stumble onto a monthly record market that happens here, where I find a beat up OG of the same record for cheap. I pick it up thinking I can now trade or sell the reissue while I look for a nicer OG. Then the next booth I flip through has a nicer OG for just as cheap. I now have 3 copies of this record.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Fucking S.o.u.l. - What is it? I love this album to death... yet never have seen it for sale out in the field. I found Can you Feel It for a few bucks years ago... but never seen What is It?

• The Ambassadors - Soul Summit
    Coke on Sound Triangle
    D.R. Hooker - The Truth
    Gandalf on Capitol
    Har You Percussion

Loads.....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    magicdog said:

Har You Percussion

I could really use a copy of this as well. Somebody sell me one! :balla:

discos_alma said:
    magicdog said:

Har You Percussion

I could really use a copy of this as well. Somebody sell me one! :balla:

This dude has one.

:snowman:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yellow Vinyl Girls Part 2 - The B-Boys....Vintertainment 1985.

Still looking for a copy of Earl Carter & Fantastic 6. Saw a copy at Broadway Records in Portsmouth, VA about 5-6 years a go, but wasn't for sale!?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I have a number of these, and off the top of my head, they are:

-"Mood Indigo"-Jean Jacques Perry
    -"En Melody"-Serge Gainsbourg
    -"Moods & Grooves"-Ju Par Universal Orchestra
    -"Wings"-Michel Colombier
    -"Balls of Eyes"-Placebo
    -"Soul Summit"-The Ambassadors (I bought a copy in Milwaukee but the record wasn't in the jacket. Arrrgh!!!)
    -"Diana in the Autumn Wind"-Gap Mangione
    -"The Inner Source"-George Duke.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• century expanded - concerto for wah wah
    archie whiewater
    horace tapscott - giant has awakened

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    century expanded - concerto for wah wah
    archie whiewater

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

You have any good trade bait? I ask because I have seen Archie Whitewater on several occasions, but never thought to buy a 2nd copy. I know you have the heat (and you're that dude), so I may have to plunk down some more loot for a trade copy. Holla!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

so many more, but these are my currents.

• Big_Stacks said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    archie whiewater

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

You have any good trade bait? I ask because I have seen Archie Whitewater on several occasions, but never thought to buy a 2nd copy. I know you have the heat (and you're that dude), so I may have to plunk down some more loot for a trade copy. Holla!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

big stacks, grab that copy of if it is in decent shape, decent price and i will make it right on a trade. PM me...i have a minty jj perry if u need!

crabmongerfunk said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    archie whiewater

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

big stacks, grab that copy of if it is in decent shape, decent price and i will make it right on a trade. PM me...

Hey Crabmongerfunk,

I apologize, but I don't know of an immediate copy. I just meant that I've seen it a few times at record shows (yearly), and had I known, I could've hooked you up. Now that I know, I'll be on the look-out for you. Me and my brother used to do that all the time for one another to great success. I gotcha, playa!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• thanks mang, good looking out. i am keeping moog indigo in deep freeze for you until you are ready...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Still looking for a copy of Earl Carter & Fantastic 6. Saw a copy at Broadway Records in Portsmouth, VA about 5-6 years a go, but wasn't for sale!?

SURPRISE! HE SOLD IT! (Not a surprise)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I have a buncha these, but I'm guessing "in the field" is the idea here for you guys.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Always expected to wild-find a Tubby Hayes 'Down in the Village', it being a local record an' all.
    Despite years of scouring, even stooping low on the old widow tip ("my dear departed hubby listened to jazz, I still have them all in the loft, come and take a look"); never found one.
    Don't hoard any more, so that ship hath sailed.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    skel said:
    Always expected to wild-find a Tubby Hayes 'Down in the Village', it being a local record an' all.
    Despite years of scouring, even stooping low on the old widow tip ("my dear departed hubby listened to jazz, I still have them all in the loft, come and take a look"); never found one.
    Don't hoard any more, so that ship hath sailed.

Yes.

The re-ish is out there, but I can't bring myself to buy it (for a $100+? pffft) because I feel like this is a record that will show up at a thrift or something.

"Down In The Village" is one of my all-time favourite tracks--so good.

• Honestly... still looking for Al Hirt - Soul in the Horn. It's never in the easy listening section. Same goes for the Shelly Manne - Mannekind.

• those heavy uk jazz records never, ever turn up.

the shelly manne lp def. turns up for around 10 bucks or so, i am sure someone here can help you, it's not bad for what it is (an old-timer trying to cash in on the jazz-funk thing).

soul in the horn, on the other hand, you don't really need at all. i have a copy i will trade to you if you want... pm me

• If record shows count then I had a chance at that Milton Wright record Spaced at the ARC last year. Forget what the dude had it priced at but the cover was kinda mangled and for me that cover is just so ill that I couldn't commit. Within minutes of me giving it back to go up again on his wall some Japanese collector snagged it. I'm also under the illusion that I'll see that Mighty Ryeders record on a wall at Amoeba or something but that hasn't happened yet either. Also looking for that Ron Henderson record with the disco ball on the cover. If anyone's holding and their gag reflexes kick in because of it then I'm your boy.

• Enough of your rares,
    how bout common shit that eludes you?

Bruce Cockburn s/t
    Love [em]Forever Changes[/em] OG or 2nd press
    A nice cover for Cactus s/t!

Oh, and a rare...
    Callier [em]What Color Is Love[/em],
    would love to find this one.

Hey,

Here are some more:

-"Self Portrait"-Ruth Copeland
    -"Dust Yourself Off"-Pleasure
    -"Hang on in There"-Mike James Kirkland
    -"Prelude To..."-Barbara & Ernie
    -"Parallelograms"-Linda Perhacs

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

yeah right

Delay said:

yeah right

Just once I dream of finding this in the heaps of shit x-ian records I come across all the time.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening

I don't feel like this is $60 worth of raer (maybe it is?), but obviously sampled to death so all the spotters have it on their lists. Never see it though. I just want it because it's sublime all the way through.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

^zoo kid 7". i'd pay good money for this if anyone's selling. one of the few records that my wife and i agree on being awesome.

^ i wonder how many of these were pressed?

^ stone crazy.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    For those who are skateboarders and grew up on the bones brigade: That lp above^^ (A Sea For Yourself) ^^ was also used for Powell & Peralta's: The Bones Brigade Video Show, soundtrack.

There is two different jackets. I might have a spare. I'll hit you back later.

Hi strut family, it's been a minute!