Dust & Grooves: Questlove Interview

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited November 2014 in Strut Central

Hey Strutters:

I just wanted to share a sample of an interview I did with Questlove of the Roots for the second edition of Dust & Grooves: Adventures In Record Collecting. Eilon and I spent some time in his record room talking vinyl, music, and his lifelong obsession with records. Check it out as well as a video from that session here. Words by Jamison Harvey, photos by Eilon Paz.

Keep Diggin'!

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    did u ask quest why he was flossing his copy of "soul man"?

• My personal concern is with that SP1200 dumped on it's side & covered in junk in the video.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    For what little info you have click baited into.... I'm not impressed.

This video pretty much sums up how much of a little dude he is in the record game:

A prized copy of a Headless Heroes re-issue?

:walk_away_son:

• I gather this series is about celebs who happen to own some records as opposed to people that actually know about records. Aside from that, I can't see one reason why he would be included.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    I gather this series is about celebs who happen to own some records as opposed to people that actually know about records. Aside from that, I can't see one reason why he would be included.

Nailed it.

Dust & Grooves is celeb chasing here.

• RAJ said:
    For what little info you have click baited into.... I'm not impressed.

This video pretty much sums up how much of a little dude he is in the record game:

A prized copy of a Headless Heroes re-issue?

:walk_away_son:

Wait.. the prized copy is a damaged OG right? Which he paid $300 for back in the mid 90's (which even then seems extremely high) .. then he says that's why he'll spin the re-ish out etc etc.. This vid also seems to be before that Tonight Show $$$.. Anyways I don't know the dude per se but he seems to know what he's talking about (music-wise that is) and he explains his sometimes penchant for the occasional reissue. Can't blame him there especially as much as that dude DJ's out. Saw him spin once in Boston at a tiny joint (again before the Tonight Show) and I thought he played a very nice set.

• Dope feature. Thanks for sharing. Certainly inspiring. His work ethic is overwhelming. Have seen him dj with the cd's and he rocks it. Obviously more a "music" guy than a "record" guy. Let's be truthful. The man is worth upwards of $10,000,000. He could shit on any of our collections if he chose to focus on that.

Peace, stein...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:
    Dope feature. Thanks for sharing. Certainly inspiring. His work ethic is overwhelming. Have seen him dj with the cd's and he rocks it. Obviously more a "music" guy than a "record" guy. Let's be truthful. The man is worth upwards of $10,000,000. He could shit on any of our collections if he chose to focus on that.

Peace, stein...

Good point. After I wrote what I wrote, I found this interview on him. Dude has mad knowledge / stories..... But the vinyl interviews I've seen of him are cringe-worthy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As someone who has hated on Brother ?'s record collecting tendencies since back in the okayplayer days when he would brag about spending hundreds on 12" Japanese repressings of some seriously common ish, I think he's now getting too much of a bad rap over it. So what, he's more of an everyday record collector than a true connoisseur of raers. Yeah, it gets annoying with him being the #1 go-to dude for mainstream publications to filter their record collecting stories through. But whatever, dude has earned his stripes, even if it's come from being a drummer and a band leader, rather than as a deejay or a digger.

• Holy shit! I did not know his parents were in Congress Alley!?

Rep this tune to the fullest!

• but stein, that's the thing, for a guy who has 10 milly and who holds himself out as one of the preeminent collectors, one would expect he would have the sickest records. maybe I am reading this wrong, but his knowledge of recorded music does not seem to run that deep , but maybe he's just holding back for some reason...he should hire someone on a full-time basis with better taste to buy him better records.

He's a really great drummer and i respect him for that but he should consinder never doing another interview on any subject ever again...

• Hey guys, just out of curiosity, after we talked on the phone, why was I not included in the LA swing of interviews?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ? has the raer.
    He may not be following the trends some here are. Spending whatever it takes to get Boscoe the day it blows up. But he knows his original breaks, and he knows music, dating back to playing drums with his folks at oldies shows in Madison Square Garden when he was knee high, to going to high school with people like Joey Defrancisco. Forget his records, listen to all the music he quotes in his playing.

An other way to look at it, he isn't looking for unknown funk 45s, he collects the music that is important to him.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yea records
    anyway ? is the warmest most down to earth guy you will ever meet
    he is an encyclopedia of UBB that he can manifest instantly on his drum kit
    gentleman and scholar

• crabmongerfunk said:
    but stein, that's the thing, for a guy who has 10 milly and who holds himself out as one of the preeminent collectors, one would expect he would have the sickest records. maybe I am reading this wrong, but his knowledge of recorded music does not seem to run that deep , but maybe he's just holding back for some reason...he should hire someone on a full-time basis with better taste to buy him better records.

He's a really great drummer and i respect him for that but he should consinder never doing another interview on any subject ever again...

Does HE hold himself out as a preeminent collector? Or do the folks interviewing him do?