Nvbr Finds (rr)

LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
edited November 2014 in Strut Central
What's this forum w/o a finds thread... gotta try it out in this new slick format. Most of these are from the past month, several come from the mtl record convention a couple of wkds ago. The free stuff was almost free and is froma little while ago. It came from a dude who hated the stuff and undersold it, wtvr, it's great. Compulsion was a long time want. The Dogs of War is fantastic, thanks N*ck!

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Nice haul!
    That Bola Sete is a great album.
    Szabo,Lijadu and Compulsion are also top picks for me.

Whats that infinite sound lp all abpout?

• The Infinite Sound is a small indie cosmic jazz group from the Bay area: it's on Arch records. It took a few listens, but it grows on you. Really great sound quality to boot for a small label.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Loads of new arrivals but am too lazy to photograph.

Here's a few finds from the NYC flea markets circa a few weeks a go.
    Attached files

• hello everyone,
    This weekend I stopped by record store in somewhere,Maine and came up with a gaggle of funky records to ease my pain. I have no idea if they are rare or not, and many of the jackets are disfigured by their previouse owner (College radio stations are the predominant offenders here) What is remarkable here was the shear volume of bowel relaxing funkitude, and all for less than 6 bones(Except one sun ra white label promo record for $30 which i couldnt spring for this time). Their still remains a multitude of unsorted 45s and a dollar rack the size of many lesser record stores main collections. Keep in mind im mearly a waxhopper when it comes to diggin so this payload had me losing total control of my small intestine. Heres a partial list of what I found, maybe yall can shed some light as to the rareity...

1.The New Herd at Montery '74 (Japanese Jazz outfit with guests:Carl Tjader, Dizzy Gillespie,Jon Faddis, Mongo Santamaria, and more)

2.Charles Wright "Doing What Comes Naturally"

3.A Hero Aint Nothin but a Sandwhich :OST
    (This sound track I took a risk on , and was
    very pleased, its got some funk bangers to mash up the dance floor.)

4.Ramsey Lewis "Solar Wind", "Up Pops Ramsey Lewis", "Liquid Love", "Inside" , (i cant get enough pre '76 ramsey)

5.The Blues Project: Live at Town Hall
    ( I got this for the Electric version of Flute thing, rocks nicely along with the original LP version)

6.Kool Moe Dee "HOw you like me now" (Sealed copy)

7.Jerry Hahn "Moses" (Merl Saunders on OOrgan/synth)

8.Mirage- Avant Garde and Third Stream Jazz
    (Compilation with a nice mingus track and some other wierd atmospheric stuff)

9.CannonBall Adderly "Inside Straight "(some real sick Axelrod production, I love this fucking record!),
    "Music You ALL"
    (another adderly/axelrod slab, not as funky as inside straight but has its moments.)

10.Ohio Players "Fire"

11.Gato Barbieri, "The Legend of Gato Barbieri". (the apearence of Lonnie smith and already possesing the Last Tango in Paris OST is what tipped me off to this reasonably funky LP)

12.Donald Byrd "Electric Byrd"

13.Live And Let Die OST ( This has a cool gatefold and some good bondsploitation grooves)

14.Stanley Turrentine "The Sugar Man"
    (with Billy Cobham, Ron Carter, Idris, I knew this LP was a sure thing)

15.In the heat of the night :OST
    ( A little disapointing but a couple nice grooves here, not ultra funky)

16.Jimmy Smith "Groove Drops"

17.Herbie Hancock "Future Shock"

18.Love Unlimited "In Heat"

19.Lonnie Smith "Expansions"

12.The Crusaders "The Second Crusade"

13. The Stylystics "Rock and Roll baby"
    (not really feelin this one too much yet)

14. Clarence Carter, selftitled LP
    (feelin this about as much as the above stylistics LP, maybe these will grow on me)

Well that about wraps that up, in the next week or so ill put up some details of the soul jazz goldmine known as records I have "borrowed" from my college radio station...
    thanks for humoring this inexpierienced yet enthusiatic diiger....

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Picked these up after voting yesterday. The highlights were the clean Funkadelic and Van Dykes promos. The Funkadelic is complete with the survival book,poster and Processeans propaganda.
    Attached files

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Good stuff. Here's mine from the past week...

Attached files

Had the chance to get out on Saturday.... A few surprising $2 finds:

• highlights

BallzDeep said:

highlights

OG Magnum? Fire!

• I'd say that's a highlight

• Second copy
    :feelin_it:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Loopdreams: love that Lijandu Sisters.

The African Story and Songs is by Dumi. He lived and taught in Seattle for many years. His then wife Mai Chi came up with the idea of having a chorus of marimbas play Shona music. Their group was phenomenal. And also perfect for hippie jam band dancing. They taught perhaps 100s of people to play Shona music, mostly in marimba ensembles. Both died years ago, but there are still scores of marimba bands playing Shona music at street fairs around the Northwest. Unfortunately marimbas do not record well. Best just to avoid any Dumi records with marimba. The mbira & hosa, traditional Shona instruments, also don't record well, but worth picking up any of their mbira records because the music is deep. Also they tend to be cheap.

Their daughter Chiwoniso Maraire, has some really good Zimbabwe pop cds.

• Thanks for the info Wolf. To be honest I haven't given Dumi a real sit down listen yet because I feel it'll need my full attention when I do. It's Mbira on this one.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that pharoah is so solid..

• some end of october/november stuff

unclear 45's :

montclairs - baby im gonna miss you
    tony owens - confessing a feeling
    the magic touch - dear mother
    israel tolbert - i got love
    lost generation - sly slick
    tyrone ashley -
    james a. hunter and company - i've been touched (cant find any info on this one. pretty cool lonerish modern soul.)
    smithstonian - mississippi mud
    Attached files

• from the past few months...sorry for the crappy pics.... ahmad jamal "awakening" and "electric mud" are dupes, if anybody needs...

• crabmongerfunk said:

You've got a bunch of :next_level: records here Crab. Do you have the Children of all ages LP, by the same crew that did Unobstructed Universe? It's very good too. That Ashby, Niagara and Johnny Lewis are just so damn good though... nice finds!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    not exactly november finds, but stuff I've found over the past few months (added links to some of the better ones)

Gilberto Gil - Expresso 2222
    Claudette Soares - has nice version of Jorge Ben's Que Maravilha
    Ednardo/Pessoal do Ceará - very nice tropicalia-ish record from NE Brazil, arrangements by Hareton Salvanini
    Conjunto Folclorico Paramau - solid carimbó
    Eduardo Araujo & Silvinha - Sou Filho Deste Chão
    Gal Costa - Cantar

Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto - Pretty good rootsy cumbia. Anyone know anything about it? Kind of random to find it in Porto Alegre, I bought it mainly because I pick up anything I come across here with the word "cumbia" and "colombia" on it in the hope that it'll be good.
    Hermeto Pascoal - your usual Hermeto
    Pedro Sertanejo - solid mostly instrumental forró LP
    Dominguinhos - two nice early 80s LPs from him
    Assim na Terra Como no Céu stk - feating this funky work out from Waltel Branco
    Jair Rodrigues - 10 Anos Depois - only worth it for funky version of Deixa Isso Pra La
    don't think I'm going to keep the Paulinho da Viola and Mestre Marçal

Aparecida is very rootsy samba/candomblé music, along with two other candomblé records
    the Capoeira LP by Mestre Suassuna & Dirceu has some nice guitar and berimbau tracks like this one
    Ed Lincoln is the one with Eu Não Vou Mais
    Silvio Britto has some cool garage-y tracks
    Bumba Boi de Morros is another folk recording from NE Brazil
    Luiz Vagner has a bit of late 70s Gilberto Gil-ish vibe with the mpb/reggae mix, but it a good way

Azambuja & Cia - from the same people who did Baiano & Os Novos Caetanos (Arnaud Rodrigues, mainly), has some nice tracks on it
    Grupo Cravo & Canela (not to be confused with the other Cravo & Canela, I don't think) - has one good samba-funkish track
    Osvaldo Nunes & The Pops - Tá Tudo Ai! - party time
    Max B - Bananticoco!
    Eliete Negreiros - early 80s experimental pop with songs trippy songs like this and crazy ones like this

that Eduardo Araújo & Silvinha "Sou Filho Deste Chão" was one I'd been hoping to find for a while now, pretty happy to have picked it up for less than US$5

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    ppadilha said:

Max B - Bananticoco!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Almost nothing there I even know about.
    But I would pick up all of those on a chance if I got the chance.

• Ppadilha – how's that zeze motta album? almost copped that on ebay recently but didn't pull the trigger (i got a few other brazilian records instead tho).

just learned about luis vagner from coming across this gem of a guitar solo (@ 2:50) while watching jorge ben live videos on youtube

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    Ppadilha – how's that zeze motta album? almost copped that on ebay recently but didn't pull the trigger (i got a few other brazilian records instead tho).

all of her albums are pretty well produced, and I like the way she sings. That one is nice, but my favorite of hers is this one:

her stuff is always super cheap and easy to find too, hope you weren't going to pay too much for it.

Luis Vagner can veer into cheese territory but I like him.