Non-offensive jazz for the workplace

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Hey folks, was wondering if I could get some recommendations for some jazz tracks I can play in the office without drawing much attention. I guess that means favouring softer rhythm sections or soft drums.

So far the vibe I'm thinking is along the lines of

Chris Barber's Jazz Band's "Petite Fleur:

The Heath Brothers - Smilin' Billy Suite Pt II

gary burton las vegas tango

...noticing a trend, hell if every track ends up being a heavily used rap sample i dont mind...just want tunes i can enjoy listening to multiple times, that won't bother top 40 cubicle neighbors...so no wailing stuff, and again soft on the percussion/drums

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'd think that most "cool" jazz type stuff would be pretty well tolerated in most offices, especially piano and guitar led groups. Think Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, etc. Jazz Samba stuff like Stan Getz would probably work too.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey AlienDn,

I suggest these artists for starters:

-Sonny Rollins (Riverside and Milestone)
    -James Moody (Milestone)
    -Shirley Horne (Impulse stuff)
    -Terry Gibbs
    -Gary McFarland
    -Cal Tjader (e.g., "Warm Breezes" or "Several Shades of Jade")
    -Kenny Barron
    -Alice Coltrane
    -Bobby Hutcherson (e.g., "Oblique" LP)
    -Buddy Montgomery
    -Antonio Carlos Jobim
    -Ahmad Jamal (his Argo stuff)
    -Eddie Harris ("A Tender Storm")
    -Chick Corea ("Bliss" and "Innerspace")
    -Stanley Clarke ("Children of Forever," "Journey to Love," and "School Days")
    -Chet Baker
    -Modern Jazz Quartet/Milt Jackson

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Appreciate the recommendations as always peoples! Will check them out!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    There's alot out there without going into schmaltzy smooth jazz. I'm not the best judge of what's inoffensive, I can take alot, but here's some suggestions:

Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue
    Grant Green: Green Street, Idle Moments
    M'Boom: Collage ( now that I think of it there might be a wee bit of percussion, it's mellow though as I recall)
    Yusef Lateef: Eastern Sounds
    Wayne Shorter: Adam's Apple
    Stanley Turrentine and the 3 Sounds
    Les McCann: Invitation to Openness
    Walt Dickerson: This is Walt Dickerson
    John Coltrane: Lush Life
    Dexter Gordon: One Flight Up

• This reminds me of the time my co-workers were pressing me to play "an album I love" at the office. They knew I was heavy in to music and were also aware of the fact that I wasn't into most of the Top 40 stuff they would listen to. I prefaced it by saying, "You may enjoy this, I think it's beautiful, but most likely I think you WILL NOT enjoy this". I then proceeded to play "Karma" by Pharoah Sanders. No one could hang

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So you can't just bring a pair of headphones into the office and listen to whatever the hell you want to?

• pinopino 18 Posts
    Hi,

I have compiled a Spotify "background music" playlist for my own enjoyment but trying to iclude songs for normal people too. On the jazzy side there's tracks like

Karin Krog - The Meaning of Love
    Sahib Shihab - Lillemor
    Gary Marks - We Free
    some Stan Getz and David Axelrod that you should throw in!

Haven't played the list at work but tried it when I had (top 40 musical taste) friends over having a dinner. They commented the music "like being in a restaurant".

--> good music = better food

And if these ain't offensive, you should at least be able to make your co-workers hungry.

• I want to find the schmaltzy jazz style they play on Louie. I know its made for the show but I've been trying to find similars. Thoughts?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Cheers guys, liking what I'm hearing so far. Pickwick, I wish I could use headphones, I'd be set! Unfortunately I have to be able to hear/communicate with the rest of the drones

Further problem is that the volume has to be really low, so the more familiar I am with a track the better, because at such a low volume its hard to pick out subtleties.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Since Eastern Sounds was already mentioned, I'll throw out Vince Guaraldi with shit like Cast Your Fate to the Wind and stuff

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

Ahmad Jamal (his Argo stuff)

Poinciana, from "At The Pershing", on repeat.