Timmy Digalot Rule #1-Post '75 Records are Wack (yeah, right!)

2»

Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    We were all little Timmy's at one time and 75 was a year that stuck out when you started, and I'm trying to reason it out as to why. . Maybe it's because when I started digging I started with CTI/Kudu/Blue Note/Presitge/Atlantic/Epic/ ect... and their golden yrs are all pre Boogie/Disco. Many of them shunned "dance" music at first and as a result when they tried to catch the wave alot of it sounded canned. So as a little dude just starting out those veins of gold you'd been chasing seemed to taper out. The most exciting stuff from 75' and on is indie. Lot's of good indie soul after 75', though it might not appeal to a purist. Here's a few records that come to mind:

Al Johnson Peaceful 78
    Erasmus Hall: Your Love Is My Desire 80
    Cecil Lyde: Stone Free 80
    John Valenti 76
    Velvet Hammer 77
    Bobby Thurston Sweetest Piece of the pie 78
    West Coast Revival 78
    Lloyd Price Music Music 78
    Ike White Changin Times 76
    Trying to become a millionaire 76
    Beverly and Duane 78
    Micheal Orr Spread Love 76
    Gaston S/T 78
    Leo's Sunshipp 77
    Blair Nightlife 78 (Nice spin Friday night PCMR !)

• Yes, exactly. I meant '83 being the indicator year like an expiration date.
    Taking a whiff from a suspicious carton of milk. "I [em]think[/em] this has gone bad, but lemme check..."

(The site looks great by the way--well done and thanks for your years of hard work.)

RAJ said:

I think 81 was THEE year for Boogie. 82 has some nice joints too. 83 is creeping into drum machine territory.

NachoManCandySandwich said:
    For the boogies I think 1983 is a good indicator year.
    Certainly not a rule, but I bet some people out there would agree.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    We were all little Timmy's at one time and 75 was a year that stuck out when you started, and I'm trying to reason it out as to why. . Maybe it's because when I started digging I started with CTI/Kudu/Blue Note/Presitge/Atlantic/Epic/ ect... and their golden yrs are all pre Boogie/Disco. Many of them shunned "dance" music at first and as a result when they tried to catch the wave alot of it sounded canned. So as a little dude just starting out those veins of gold you'd been chasing seemed to taper out. [strong]The most exciting stuff from 75' and on is indie.[/strong] Lot's of good indie soul after 75', though it might not appeal to a purist.

What did your parents party to?

• BowlsBowls 28 Posts
    DJs never followed this rule, right? At least those who play for regular folks...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

As a Black dude, I can tell you that neither I nor my family (and friends) ever avoided post-1975 music. Hell, most of the stuff we jammed to came from that period. Plus, as much as people disparage disco, some serious jams came out of that genre as well (e.g., "Beyond the Clouds"-Quartz, "Work it Out"-Stargard, "Let No Man Put Asunder"-First Choice, "Reaching Out (for Your Love)-Lee Moore, "Devil's Gun"-C.J. & Company, "I'm Caught Up (in a One-Night Love Affair)-Inner Life, "At Midnight"-T-Connection, etc.).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think even people who have these rules know they are dumb.

I first heard the no strings rule from people looking for deep/Southern soul. To their discredit some of these people were very serious about the rule. The result is they were listening to a very narrow sound. Never appealed to me. Some songs are good because they are different.

Those Ayers strings give a nice counter point to the rhythm section.

I think we had this discussion once, there might be your favorite records with strings thread somewhere.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The more people say that pre-75, post-75 is actually a thing, the more it makes no sense to me.

If any one band not named James Brown kicked off the hip-hop offshoot digging craze of the 90's, it would be Parliament.

Motor Booty Affair from '78 was one of my favorite albums of all time long before I had even grasped the concept of sampling.

Bootsy's first solo album was '76.

In other words...c'mon, man.

Lets say u do stick to this "rule" what year is the jump-off point?

Late 50's....Early 60's....Mid 60s....?????

Is this pretty much a Soul zone?

• As far as funk goes...1967 - Cold Sweat (Green Onions being the exception to the rule)

HOLLAFAME said:
    As far as funk goes...1967 - Cold Sweat (Green Onions being the exception to the rule)

1964 - Big Chief by Professor Longhair and It Ain't My Fault by Smokey Johnson.

Batmon, depends what you are looking for.
    Soul with no hint of disco? Need to go back to the start of Sam Cooke's career in the 50s.
    Funk WNHOD? Mid 60s at the earliest.
    Drum breaks? I think 1970 was the year that the big studios figured out how to record drums that really slam. At some point they started compressing the drums and losing the slam. Was that '75?

Edit:
    1964 - Big Chief by Professor Longhair and It Ain't My Fault by Smokey Johnson.
    With exceptions, which is why rules are stupid.

Or maybe rules are not stupid.
    Rules are a result of not knowing.
    Store has 10,000 records. All you know is that you want funk/soul/breaks. All you know is that you like Syl Johnson. You need some rules to get you started.

• LaserWolf said:
    Store has 10,000 records. All you know is that you want funk/soul/breaks. All you know is that you like Syl Johnson. You need some rules to get you started.

This, basically.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    batmon said:

What did your parents party to?

U might be onto something... I crashed their party, born in 75. There revords pretty much stop there. Any partying after that had a wiff of nostalgia

LaserWolf said:

Or maybe Not knowing = Stupid

I started digging in my parents, uncle, older bro, sis, record collection before I can remember. When I was about 11 I started digging at the public library. I was 23 before I started obsessively buying records. But I already had about 100 lps I loved. I never had any rules, but I always listened to a wide variety of stuff. The rules are for collecting sub genres like funk and boogie.

LaserWolf said:
    The rules are for collecting sub genres like funk and boogie.

I'll give Boogie an expiration date but Funk goes on for 20+ years...way too long to create some cut off point.

Off The Wall is muthafuckin' 1977!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Where is this thread going?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    The more people say that pre-75, post-75 is actually a thing, the more it makes no sense to me.

If any one band not named James Brown kicked off the hip-hop offshoot digging craze of the 90's, it would be Parliament.

Motor Booty Affair from '78 was one of my favorite albums of all time long before I had even grasped the concept of sampling.

Bootsy's first solo album was '76.

In other words...c'mon, man.

I'll admit...for me, most R&B from 1976 onward doesn't trip my trigger.

Yes, I like latter day P-Funk (even though I don't play those records as much as the earlier things). I can even think of some other post-'76 soul records I like that aren't necessarily retro: Zapp, Isleys, Stevie Wonder, Rick James, the [em]Go Go Crankin' [/em]compilation. Hell, even the Family Stand had their moments.

Yet and still, those are exceptions, not the rule. If more "modern soul" sounded like the acts I mentioned, I'd be a bigger fan. As it is, for every Zapp I'd have to wade through all the Stephanie Millses and Evelyn Kings and Cheryl Lynns. Maybe that is somebody else's idea of paradise, but in the words of Ahmad Jamal..."BUT NOT FOR ME."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'll give Boogie an expiration date but Funk goes on for 20+ years...way too long to create some cut off point.

Funk goes on for a long time, but it did change. Kool & the Gang 1970 was a totally different band from Kool & the Gang 1980.

"Exception" maybe, but this Evelyn King from 1979 is the lick and then some...

pickwick33 said:

Funk goes on for a long time, but it did change. Kool & the Gang 1970 was a totally different band from Kool & the Gang 1980.

No doubt but not gonna dismiss Cameo.