HBO Documentary on James Brown

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
I can't find the original post but just reminding people that the HBO doc on James Brown is on right now and will be played several times more. It's a great movie.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Thanks... there were a few recent threads lost in the mix. I see it's on HBOGo? I'm on it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Man some early highlights. Brown playing at a civil rights rally in the south that I'd never seen. The leaders were getting into an argument and Dr. King said you guys can argue but I want to see James Brown! He hired the Jewels to join his review and they played the opening of one of my all time fav soul joints "Opportunity"

Oh shit! James at a rally for Hubert Humphrey for president where Humphrey starts singing back up! "Soo good! Soo good!" by the presidential candidate.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i need to see this

Watched the first 45 minutes last night. Incredible doc so far. Man I had NO idea how bad he had it and how determined he was to be a star.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    If James Brown lived to see the Tea Party would he, you know, party with them?

It's fun to listen his music in the context of him being part of Nixon's not-so-silent majority.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Watched the first 45 minutes last night. Incredible doc so far. Man I had NO idea how bad he had it and how determined he was to be a star.

literally dirt poor its incredible his drive and determination

By far the best documentary on James Brown. I've seen 2-3 others on Youtube but the scope of this and the unseen footage and all the history of his involvement with the civil rights movement and U.S. politics puts this one over the top.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    one of the few times i wish i had cable/hbo
    just caught this though

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xof0j2_james-brown-in-the-studio_creation

• that was excellent! how come there's no photos or footage of hendrix with the flames? or is that just a rumor?

I felt this documentary ended abruptly. They could have easily done a 4 hour doc like the recent Eagles one. I am definitely curious about his later years.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Tom Doc Delay said:
    that was excellent! how come there's no photos or footage of hendrix with the flames? or is that just a rumor?

Pretty sure that never happened, I think people get confused cos Jimi's group was Jimmy James and the Blue Flames for a while.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i'm glad i dvr'd it. gives me something to watch tonight

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Great documentary. I wanted it to go deeper into the history but the man's life was simply too dense to cover in a single documentary and I completely understand that decisions had to be made. I would love a Ken Burns style series doc on the dude.

One of my favorite parts was hearing Pee Wee talk about the evolution of the creation of 'Cold Sweat' and hearing Pee Wee talk about the 'So What' influences in that song.

• Finally caught this. So good.

Definitely captured A LOT in those 2 hrs.

Pee Wee is the man fo sho. Fred Wesley always comes off as so bitter, even while rocking the JB t-shirt!

Love the "moutsache" era - thanks ?uestlove

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i thought JB supported nixon cause he made a promise to make the IRS schitt go away?

also,

maceo's brother talking about pulling a gun on JB -- so fucking vivid.
    "cause i always stayed strapped back then..."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    dude was casket sharp. no sloppy shirt with a belt over it shenanigans (i'm looking at u fred wesley.)

• i guess i am the odd man out, but i found that doc to be disappointing.

Aside from the interviews with melvin, maceo and bobby there really was nothing new in this. it started out good enough but all the political stuff was convoluted and unnecessary. a missed opportunity.