The Strut on Mac Miller

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Mac Miller - some Mac Miller, anyway - is a guilty pleasure of mine. In a way I feel guilty for this as he seems to epitomize white entitlement rap, but his flow is good and I like a lot of his beats - very throwback.

What is the Strut's thought on Mac? If it was 10 years ago I could honestly see Mac Miller being a Strutter.

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    True

• glad to see this guy has a career after "malcom in the middle"

-------------------------------

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    glad to see this guy has a career after "malcom in the middle"

-------------------------------

LOL!!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    dude is corn, especially after the whole lord finesse thing.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    SIRUS said:
    dude is corn, especially after the whole lord finesse thing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    thes toured with him he can let us know (but probably should not on a public forum)
    he has a good ear for beats and i am not ad at him for sure
    better than the other college white kid rappers by a mile

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    pcmr said:
    thes toured with him he can let us know (but probably should not on a public forum)
    he has a good ear for beats and i am not ad at him for sure
    better than the other college white kid rappers by a mile

Yeah, he's better than David Silver, I'll give him that.

• not mad at him but every time someone else rhymes on his beats it's usually better than the orig version

also, 2nd worst verse on Piñata

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Another (former) Strutter profiled him for Fader (an article probably edited by another [former] Strutter) - seems like a good dude whose rise has been, uh, organic, although haven't heard very many of his tunes.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    wasn't a fan originally (i remember the finesse thing - reminded me of the whole lupe fiasco fiasco).

but last year he produced a bunch of tracks with ab soul on it that I thought were fire, and then Faces had some really nice beats on it. i poasted up some of those in the rap thread a while back, but czech these:

(can't get yootoobs to embed, raj!)

www.youtube.com/v/VuZ1Jtrij_s

^ i mean, he's not a great rapper, but he's good at saying some silly inconsequential shit when you're in the mood for that, like: "I'm Santana's bandana, against me you don't stand a chance
    Call you fancy pants cause when you're drunk you do the hammer dance"

www.youtube.com/v/DvRiqWBZVs4

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I thought his last album was pretty decent. Some good beats and a few mildly diverting dollops of Devin-esque stoner self-deprecation. Not heard an awful lot else of his stuff. That big deal he's just done is kind of curious, though. I haven't read too much about the details, and there's probably less to it than meets the eye, but in the current climate it seems a little riskier for the label than these deals often do.

The Finesse episode was bad looks all round.

• SIRUS said:
    dude is corn

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I think for what he is he's ok. He doesn't really strike me as trying to deviate too far from his roots. If you look at the intro to one of his videos he plays an old family video of him rapping Rapper's Delight when he's 8 or something. He is clearly in straight up middle class or better environs doing his thing and he embraces it.

I see as much reason to listen to his stuff as spaced out cosmic brain damage hip hop like Danny Brown. Or just flat out umbilical-cord-wrapped-around-his-neck rap like Young Thug. (WTF... really.)

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

Haha. Sometimes I pinch my nose and say "I'm eatin belgian waffles and readin Emerson novels" out loud cuz it makes me laff.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

That's nice! Damn, I think I missed that whole tape.

• I had only really heard his name thrown around as I'm not checking too much new rap nowadays. Heard about him some more on the Lord Finesse episode of Combat Jack. Listening to a handful of his tracks right now, he's nice, but I'm a 41 year old dude and this is on some high school stuff, so while I like the sound of it, I'm just not into it beyond that.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

^^^^Yep. His verse and Ab Soul were the worst verses I heard. I've since had people try to convince me that Ab Soul can rap. I use his verse on Lakers as proof he cannot. And Miller's shit was weak too. Garbage. The vet emcees killed that LP, the new jacks were droppin' hot garbage.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RIP

Damn.  RIP.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    CIA crack rap strikes again. Death to poison pushing traitors. Hang 'em high.

The "celebration of Mac Miller" just finished - streamed live on youtube. it was solid.  RIP

some other joints i remembered along the way...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I heard he was sent over the edge by Arianna's then-fiance texting Mac when he was, ahem... "On the job".  She's since dumped the douche as a result, IIRC.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Duderonomy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Not on Miller.

But I'm convinced this youngin' is the funkiest person on the planet.

ketanJimsterDuderonomy

oh shit, i saw this the other day on my phone and it wasn't the right platform for tremendous slapbass.  she's really talented.
    DOR

• Yeah that was ridiculous. Looks like she has some other impressive songs too

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    She has the kind of feel that a lot of players never get.  They might be technically brilliant but no groove.  For me, always, groove >>> technique.

Stepping to the rear to cheer b/w
    Thanks for poasting

Anyone want to buy a bass?
    DOR