Talk About Stuff (NRR or RR)

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The_Non said:

-Does anyone like a restaurant that is BYOB?

Salt Lick Barbeque in Driftwood is BYOB, but it's more along the lines of people bringing coolers full of beer to a country ranch setting.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Our local Indian Restaurant is BYOB. The family are Muslim and their pop won't sell alcoholic beverages.

No drama as there is a mini-mart next door with a great beer selection, straight from the fridge.

Food is award winning, no complaints.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Greenpoint Thai joint lets us bring in a six pack(s) for lunch.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Eating well at the Vietnamese spot, getting a good shine on with some quality booze, and walking out with a $20 check? Hells yeah. And the Italian spot in my hometown with the amazing fresh pasta accompanied by many bottles of decent wine without breaking the bank? I RIDE POR VIDA.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Eating well at the Vietnamese spot, getting a good shine on with some quality booze, and walking out with a $20 check? Hells yeah. And the Italian spot in my hometown with the amazing fresh pasta accompanied by many bottles of decent wine without breaking the bank? I RIDE POR VIDA.

I would (probably) think it's great if the restaurant wasn't so fucking tiny! It logjams the restaurant with (no further) paying customers for HOURS. ABSURD. PLUS no one ever says "there'll be an X minute wait" cuz they don't know and they don't care.

• The_Non said:
    Controller_7 said:
    The_Non said:
    PS Vidal Sassoon enthusiast the one DB Cooper says I'm ridiculous for wanting to wear a watch. I don't like pulling my phone out and looking at the time, plus I think doing it with a wristwatch is classier. Speak on it motherbatches.

I still wear a watch and it even has the wrong time. I'm just used to the wrong time. I know it's 15 minutes fast. Will I fix it? No.
    Is that a strategy to get to places earlier or on time? Or just how you wagonwheel?

I forget how it happened, but it's just stayed. No real reason. I actually probably use it mostly for the day and date.

• Chappelle has some good standup specials. But it makes sense to me that solid stand ups don't always make great shows. It's a totally different medium and it doesn't always translate.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The_Non said:

-Has anyone ever read the comments section of any news article/youtube and not wanted to jump off a cliff? I think the ONLY time I read an enjoyable comments section was reading Science or Scientific American or something.

The repetition of the same talking points especially is disturbing. I get a good laugh out of people trolling science articles with "x millions of years ago" with "this was planted by Satan to test our faith" or "but the world is only 6,000 years old!", though.

*What motivates/motivated you to buy records?

A) Getting the specific record you wanted/listening to specific music
    B) Listening for breakbeatraer
    C) Having enough records to have a listening party with skinny jeaned friends
    D) Going out and looking for stuff/Zen
    E) Trying to come up like Donald Trump in Tha Record Game
    F) Other
    G) Combination, specify which ones

I'd say mine used to be B and D, but now I'm D, E, and F. I find looking at records to be very "zen," even if I don't find shit. And I like to travel and talk to interesting people.

-If you could fight one musician, past or present, who would it be and why?
    Bob Dylan, because I hate his singing.

-Going off earlier Mulaney talk, have you ever played a song on a jukebox to torture people in a restaurant or bar, and if so, what was it? Use this for reference:

The_Non said:
    *What motivates/motivated you to buy records?

A) Getting the specific record you wanted/listening to specific music

If you could fight one musician, past or present, who would it be and why?

Stevie Wonder, just to see if he has developed mad Luke-Skywalker-Force-Training-Helmet skillz. Y'know, just slaps and the like. Not sparking the f*cker out. WHAT AM I, A BULLY*?

Going off earlier Mulaney talk, have you ever played a song on a jukebox to torture people in a restaurant or bar, and if so, what was it?

Yes. Japan - Ghosts. Used to deliberately harsh J*mmy Price's mellow, where he would be looking for me to throw beer at me.

"WHO PUT THIS ON? 'KIN MUSIC TO SLIT YER WRISTS TO. WHERE THE F*CK IS HE?"

Happy days.

*I bet he's not really blind after all.

J i m s t e r said:

If you could fight one musician, past or present, who would it be and why?

Stevie Wonder, just to see if he has developed mad Luke-Skywalker-Force-Training-Helmet skillz. Y'know, just slaps and the like. Not sparking the f*cker out. WHAT AM I, A BULLY*?

*I bet he's not really blind after all.

Lemme bless you with this:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/stevie-wonder-is-not-blind-the-evidence-1641795715

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

--The show Mulaney is a really odd case. It's got a bunch of funny people involved (John Mulaney, Nasim Pedrad, Elliott Gould, etc.), but it looks pretty dire. I really wonder what happened there. All those people must know that what they're putting on the air isn't funny. Did the show just get network-noted to death? Is this the best they could do given some other constraints they were working under? I want a behind-the-scenes account.

---I just celebrated 10 years at my company, and I'm terrified of losing my job. Is that just how things are nowadays?

I haven't watched Mulaney's show but the TV critic at my job says that if you get thru the first two or three episodes it improves a lot.

I live in pretty much constant fear of losing my job as well. Even though we are one of the most successful magazines around there is no getting past the fact that print is dying faster than ever, and I am being priced out by kids fresh out of school who will try to do my job for half my salary. Scary times.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My name means diarrhea in Japanese.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Sometimes I think of things that make me laugh and I write them down on my iPad. Like really corny stuff. Lately I've wanted to go to a comedy open mic and just read this shit out and see how long I can go before eating booed off stage.

Sample:

I lost twenty pounds last month. I was in England.

I hate abbreviations. My favorite movie is wizard of ounce.

I'm here to chew ass and kick bubblegum and I'm all outta bubblegum

I put "e" inside a gnome. It turned him into a genome.

I got in a minor accident yesterday. I'm fine but the minor died.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    My wife didn't think the minor joke was funny at all but I thought it was funny

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Gary said:

These two are GOLD.

Gary said:
    Sometimes I think of things that make me laugh and I write them down on my iPad. Like really corny stuff. Lately I've wanted to go to a comedy open mic and just read this shit out and see how long I can go before eating booed off stage.

Sample:

They're decent. You could be this generation's Henny Youngman. Call yourself Gary Oldman. :D

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here is some stuff from the top of my head:

1. Appreciate life everyday.
    -Those who choose to wallow in self-pity instead of counting their blessings are taking life for granted.

2. Play for legacy.
    -Do positive things in the world that will live beyond you.

3. Take time to live.
    -Don't let ego, the paper chase, and various life commitments keep you from pursuing your passions.

4. Feel for others.
    -We can't truly love others if you can't feel their pain.

5. Speak up for right.
    -Silence in the face of wrong make you an accomplice to it.

6. Be the bigger person.
    -The pursuit of peace is more honorable than winning the argument.

7. Follow your instincts.
    -Most times, what you feel is more accurate than what you think.

8. Take time to reflect.
    -Seek out a quiet space to collect your thoughts.

9. Love yourself so that you can love others.
    -Low self-esteem ruins relationships.

10. Be a great person.
    -Greatness is more about who you are than about what you do.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

9. Love yourself so that you can love others.
    -Low self-esteem ruins relationships.

Does onanism count? I rate myself quite highly in this regard.

I think that's what George Benson / Whitney were on about.

Certainly, became my mantra.

I understand this is why there are bolts on doors.

In other good news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/11181012/Wilko-Johnson-cancer-cured.html

Tumor removed was 6kg = 6.61387 pounds.

:beerbang:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Gary said:

Sample:

Many years ago I had a dream I will always remember.
    I was in a large guitar store playing the acoustic steel strings.
    The salesman comes up to me with this amazing vintage Fender Strat.
    He tells me that it had been Henny Youngman's guitar and that Henny wanted me to have it so I could do standup comedy.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    ketan said:
    Gary said:

These two are GOLD.

Those are funny as hell.

I think I would prefer a string of funny one liners to the rambling unfunny anecdotes I seem to hear at open mic nights.

• P.G. Tips is really good tea.

Is Bill Cosby really a raper?

Those blue iKea bags though....

Peace, stein...