Masters At Work on Radio 1 (BREAKZ, YO!)

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    This is perfect while being stuck at my desk.

Thx

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Nice one. Thanks

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    DOR said:
    This is perfect while being stuck at my desk.

Thx

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Dbl

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I was debating buying that new MAW retrospective that's like five CDs. Saw that iTunes was selling it on digital for $10. Also, I felt a bit like a rave casualty when I didn't put it together until last week that "Ken Lou" wasn't some other dude that did some MAW remixes but a shortening of Kenny Dope's and Little Louie Vega's names! One more thing: I have been loving lately the early pre-LP Nuyorican Soul tunes - "The Nervous Track" has the Latin drums but also a very specific mid-90s deep, electronic house vibe that sounds dated in all the right ways. That amalgamation, at least right now, is preferable to the more organic sounds on the full album, despite how good their cover of Roy Ayers "Sweet Tears" or Bob James' "Nautilus."

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I felt a bit like a rave casualty when I didn't put it together until last week that "Ken Lou" wasn't some other dude that did some MAW remixes but a shortening of Kenny Dope's and Little Louie Vega's names!

Neither did I!

b/w

It's a really dope mix... I like the way it starts nerdy and moves onto a smooth blend of housey jams. Top marks.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i feel that kenny dope has been underrated as a DJ. maybe it's because he didn't have a output like ron g, capri, etc but his mixes have always been jammin.

• SIRUS said:
    i feel that kenny dope has been underrated as a DJ. maybe it's because he didn't have a output like ron g, capri, etc but his mixes have always been jammin.

yeah man -- probably my all-time favorite mixtape (and club) dj and dude has been a huge influence on me personally. One of the very few that can rock so many styles with total authority -- funk, reggae, house, disco, hip hop, he can really do it all really really well. I suppose Spinna and Jazzy Jeff would also fall into that category, but Kenny Dope's style always spoke to me the loudest. A true legend -- and I highly recommend seeing him play if you have the opportunity.

My first introduction to Kenny Dope's DJing was the Strange Games & Funky Things mix he did for BBE which I rocked to death.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Looking back at their work, I think Kenny had the stronger influence on the early sound (Nervous, Moonshine), and Louie on the latter (Backfired etc.) As MAW they are a really good team; each complementing the other. Their tunes and remixes with Gene Perez on bass are sublime.

I've been lucky enough to see both Kenny and Louie DJ live multiple times, they did play a lot of their own stuff but I ain't mad.

My favourite Kenny Dope production:

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    My first introduction to Kenny Dope's DJing was the Strange Games & Funky Things mix he did for BBE which I rocked to death.

As did I.

Will check this out.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    10 minutes in, and is just exceptional.....

DAMN

If anyone knows how to 320 this... please to poast.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Siiiiiiiiick mix. This shit is such a banger!

• anybody know what the very last track is? comes in between 1:00:30-1:00:40...

That's "Elements Of Life - You Came Into My Life"
    Not sure of what remix it is, doe.

Not the Ralf Gum one.

Edit: Possibly this one:

SIRUS said:
    Duderonomy said:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=recording&i=streaming

I am not able to try this at the time of writing but seems plausible.

• J i m s t e r said:
    That's "Elements Of Life - You Came Into My Life"
    Not sure of what remix it is, doe.

Not the Ralf Gum one.

Edit: Possibly this one:

thanks!! actually i think it is the ralf gum one (peep the guitar line at 2:00):

Yep - I stand corrected.

Too many mp3s... :D

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    thanks for posting!
    I recently tried to do a MAW mix for a friend of mine that is obsessed with their early work, I got 2 hours in and realized I had only covered about 20% of what he had asked me to include so I will have to try on a day/night where I have at least 6-7 hours free to finish it off. I coincidentally was given a copy of the tribute to Fela 12" they did about a week before I recorded the mix (which I had been hunting for years) in another one of those odd record universe synergy stories.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    the_dL said:
    thanks for posting!
    tribute to Fela 12"

Oh, shit! It's all coming back to me now. Remember first hearing that on this CD that I had:

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Rootdown-99-Compiled-By-Rainer-Tr├╝by/release/27864

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    SIRUS said:
    Duderonomy said:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=recording&i=streaming

I am not able to try this at the time of writing but seems plausible.

Can this be trusted?
    http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/
    My Mac is warning me about unknown developers and expired certificates....

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    I recorded it, but the second half kinda fucked up. Edit: So i chopped it out, this is the Kenny Dope part, and it sounds fine.

https://www.mediafire.com/?7wxcad66c5sv38h

I would love to know what the tune after Francisco Aguabella - Headstrong was

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Yemsky said:

Can this be trusted?
    http://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/
    My Mac is warning me about unknown developers and expired certificates....

I use Soundflower without any problems.