Diggin' in NYC circa 2014

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
I'll be in NYC (Manhattan) for the weekend of October 18-19. What's the lowdown on quality shops these days?

I know:

Good Records
Academy
A-1

Used to Know:

TSL
Big City
Gimme Gimme

What are you recommending?

Comments

• Those spots are still good to go. Everything else is in Greenpoint it seems...the BK Academy, Captured Tracks, Record Grouch, The Thing, etc...all very close to each other you just have to navigate the G train to get there. The Academy on 18th Street in manhattan is worth checking out as well.

• On your way there or back check out Platter World here in Garfield, NJ (right off rt 80). Fixed prices for the whole store, $3 LPs and $1 45s. Inventory of half a mil. They're closing up for good in December after 40 years at that location and 70 years in the business.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    On your way there or back check out Platter World here in Garfield, NJ (right off rt 80). Fixed prices for the whole store, $3 LPs and $1 45s. Inventory of half a mil. They're closing up for good in December after 40 years at that location and 70 years in the business.

not much left or worth anyone's time at this point unless you dig dust, crust and gruel
    you're bound to find something on 45 but many uk dudes have run this store end to end for years when charlie was alive

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    crazypoprock said:
    Those spots are still good to go. Everything else is in Greenpoint it seems...the BK Academy, Captured Tracks, Record Grouch, The Thing, etc...all very close to each other you just have to navigate the G train to get there.

academy in brooklyn is cool. lots of new entries.

and good records is super cool ;)

• kala said:
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    On your way there or back check out Platter World here in Garfield, NJ (right off rt 80). Fixed prices for the whole store, $3 LPs and $1 45s. Inventory of half a mil. They're closing up for good in December after 40 years at that location and 70 years in the business.

not much left or worth anyone's time at this point unless you dig dust, crust and gruel
    you're bound to find something on 45 but many uk dudes have run this store end to end for years when charlie was alive

I don't doubt it but supposedly they've been putting out a lot of stuff from the back room and Charlie's personal collection. At least you know you won't get ripped off!

• In Living Stereo was a good stop for me last year..

• I don't get out to BK much but have heard great things about Coop 87 and Human Head. both in the Greenpoint/Williamsburg/Bushwick axis

• Coop 87 is a nice store!