Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (WTF? related)

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Does this movie eventually come around full circle? I have never made it through the entire thing, always turning it off or falling asleep right around the part when Laura Palmer and her sexy brunette friend are at that night club. I am a fan of most of David Lynch's movies (I was almost going to dress up this year as Sailer from "Wild at Heart"; "this snakeskin jacket is a symbol of my individuality"). But this one is especially obscure and jumps around all over the place. Is there a payoff at the end? Does anyone who is a fan of David Lynch like this movie?Also, is that midget dude the same characater from "Mullholland Drive"?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    have you watched the series?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    have you watched the series?

Not the whole thing. Just the first DVD of seaon one.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i really kinda dug the movie back around the time it was first release.

but subsequent viewing show it to not be holding up 100% still has some nice moments though.

i really kinda dug the movie back around the time it was first release.

but subsequent viewing show it to not be holding up 100% still has some nice moments though.

Pretty much sums up dude's entire career: He had his moments. I try to watch most of his stuff as series of vignettes rather than fully-formed stories.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i watched this movie after watching all of the episodes of the show. i remember liking it because it did answer one or two questions from the series, but i think from the end of the series. i don't think i would have gotten much out of it had i not watched all of the episodes.

• I find it isn't nearly as high quality as the first season of Twin Peaks or Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive.

• I think Fire Walk with Me is one of his best films. I'm constantly entertained when watching it. It's actually showing next weekend in San Francisco at the Castro theatre but I will probably miss it because Lynch is making a speech in Berkeley on the same day.

• For fans of the series, it offers little reward other than some really promising, spooky scenes. For folks who didn't watch both seasons of the TV show, it most likely irritates.

I think Lynch originally made a much more concise film. Supposedly, a lot of the film's impact was lost on the cutting room floor. I've seen messageboards and Lynch sites that have tried to petition to have the director's cut released, but at this point to no avail. I tend to believe this theory. So many films were messed up by bad editing. The case of Sergio Leone's "Once Upon a Time in America" is maybe the best example of a great film reduced and diluted by poor editing choices.

I was very excited to see FWWM when it came out, but as disjointed as Lynch's films tend to be, this one was on a whole other level of abstraction. My least favorite of his flicks. Great soundtrack, great acting by Harry Dean Stanton, Keifer Sutherland, Chris Isaak, Kyle McLachlan as Dale Cooper is the shit, Davis Bowie's cameo is dope and Sheryl Lee kills it as Laura Palmer.

In the end, I don't think it answers much or offers closure. Just a bunch of surreal eye candy moments that will try to take you somewhere but in the end, leave you suspended and confused.

• I've seen messageboards and Lynch sites that have tried to petition to have the director's cut released, but at this point to no avail.

Lynch has said that the released version is his directors cut. Some stuff was cut but he felt it needed to be cut. I thought the film was fantastic as is but I???m often more attracted to film which have a unique visual style.

I saw the film before the TV series. Only watched the show once.

• and Sheryl Lee kills it as Laura Palmer.

I always thought your performance was terrible. It was fitting for the role but she's an awful actress.

In the end, I don't think it answers much or offers closure. Just a bunch of surreal eye candy moments that will try to take you somewhere but in the end, leave you suspended and confused.

The beauty of Lynch's films are that they offer no answer. Only questions.

• and Sheryl Lee kills it as Laura Palmer.

I always thought your performance was terrible. It was fitting for the role but she's an awful actress.

I like how you adress her (the actress) directly here.
    Don't know how she was in other films, but she's a great Laura Palmer. Totally sex & drug crazed and emotionally damaged by her dreams, eerie symbloic premonitions and abuse by the Dad/Killer Bob character.

The beauty of Lynch's films are that they offer no answer. Only questions.

Not all of his films are like this and this approach does get quite annoying after a while. Films like Blue Velvet, Wild At Heart and Straight Story are better films than Lost Highway and FWWM. They get by on his style and dream-like imagery. I mean, dude will never make another Eraserhead which IMO is the closest and most honest he will ever come to realizing his aesthetic. Keep in mind though that it was his first film and it ook him six years to make.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    always turning it off or falling asleep right around the part when Laura Palmer and her sexy brunette friend are at that night club

How could you fall asleep/turn it off at this point?
    It's the best part of the movie!
    Maybe I'm a little too into Moira Kelly, but I always want to buy this DVD just so I can watch her...then again, I was obsessed with Sherilyn Fenn when the series was on, too...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I think Lynch originally made a much more concise film. Supposedly, a lot of the film's impact was lost on the cutting room floor. I've seen messageboards and Lynch sites that have tried to petition to have the director's cut released, but at this point to no avail. I tend to believe this theory.

ive heard that too.. but isnt the directors cut of fire like over 4 hours or some shit??? suppossedly the first cuts to all his movies are in the 3+hrs range

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I havent read this thread and I won't until David Lynch releases season 2 of Twin Peaks.

I got season 1 at home and Fire come walk with me but I ain't going to pop it in the DVD player until I am further confused

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    BAN

just watch that ish

Mulholland on repeat, I love those freaky Winkie's scenes

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    well, IMO season 2 was the best. back in high school, i got pretty deep into lynch (super ayo), and think of FWWM as one of his finest films. it makes sense if you saw the series, and collected the books, went to the film festivals.. fucking nerded out way too much, etc. maybe i'll post the picture of me and the little man posing together (while he's got a big bag of real cocaine in his hand).

I havent read this thread and I won't until David Lynch releases season 2 of Twin Peaks.

I got season 1 at home and Fire come walk with me but I ain't going to pop it in the DVD player until I am further confused

A version of season 2 from Spain is all over eBay

always turning it off or falling asleep right around the part when Laura Palmer and her sexy brunette friend are at that night club

How could you fall asleep/turn it off at this point?
    It's the best part of the movie!
    Maybe I'm a little too into Moira Kelly, but I always want to buy this DVD just so I can watch her...then again, I was obsessed with Sherilyn Fenn when the series was on, too...

No, I fell asleep AFTER that part. Maybe I was spent?!? I was actually watching the movie when I typed this post, and finally made it through the whole thing. Still, same conclusion, though: I need to watch the series to (maybe) understand what happened.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I watched mulholland drive. I didnt get it. I watched lost highway. Didnt get it either.

But eraserhead was fucking cool.

need to check out twin peaks.

I watched mulholland drive. I didnt get it. I watched lost highway. Didnt get it either.

I am a huge fan of Lynch, but I do not like these movies.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bump

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It won't be the same without this guy.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    :walk_away_son:

Srs doe, all his work has some strong, unique moments and those moments > > 2hrs of mainstream explosion-ways.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Funny that this thread came up.

A buddy of mine recreated the Black Lodge at a bar I frequent. It's totally :next_level: , and is a great homage to Twin Peaks.

We set up a screen and watched the first episode last night, and plan on watching the series this month.

Can someone flush this thread back down the toilet of the way-back machine? F'real. How little schooled was I on the Lynch oeuvre before typing this post? Just embarrassing all around. Also, the fact that this show has been optioned by Showtime is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Can someone flush this thread back down the toilet of the way-back machine? F'real. How little schooled was I on the Lynch oeuvre before typing this post? Just embarrassing all around. Also, the fact that this show has been optioned by Showtime is not exactly a ringing endorsement.
    ban

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I had the Log Lady teach me in an acting class once. (back in Fall 97) I didn't get into Twin Peaks and a lot of Lynch till college. (so I knew of her character, but didn't experience the cultural phenomenon when it came out.) Now I would have geeked out and just asked her a million questions about Eraser Head etc. She probably would have rather had the reaction my class had with her.

Log Lady - I was on a show called 'Twin Peaks' I was a character called the Log Lady.

Me - Oh... I heard of that. Well... ok... uh... so this is my monologe.

(end scene)