Time is Illmatic

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    ^bump^

rented this movie last night -- i enjoyed it. It was nothing really mind blowing, as far as "new" details or facts about the album, but it was fun enough to see some old footage and get some more color on his upbringing, etc.

Must say, I still am pretty awestruck that he was basically 19/20yrs old when he wrote most of this album.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    jlee said:
    Must say, I still am pretty awestruck that he was basically 19/20yrs old when he wrote most of this album.

LL was a teenager for Radio and didnt have an all-star cast of producers.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    batmon said:
    jlee said:

I'm referring more to the [backpack] lyrical-lyricism [/backpack] of illmatic, rather than to just the creation of a good debut album. I still find the lyrics of illmatic very impressive for a teenager.

batmon said:
    jlee said:

I'm referring more to the [backpack] lyrical-lyricism [/backpack] of illmatic, rather than to just the creation of a good debut album. I still find the lyrics of illmatic very impressive for a teenager.

Most the MCs then(backpack) were young cats. Its not some anomaly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i tried to bring the boom bap back earlier this year and mufukaz slept
    geez

Leave Boom Bap Alone

• batmon said:
    jlee said:

Most the MCs then(backpack) were young cats. Its not some anomaly.

Most MCs were pretty young for their first albums. I mean, Leaders of the New School and Souls of Mischief first albums were all about high school.

• Neither LL nor LONS nor SOM have written anything close to "NY State Of Mind", which was also done on its first take.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Pack a 4-matic to crack your whole cabbage.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Neither LL nor LONS nor SOM have written anything close to "NY State Of Mind", which was also done on its first take.

The Original Rock The Bells > NY State of Mind

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hey have i lived in new york long enough to act like i really get ny state of mind

PatrickCrazy said:
    hey have i lived in new york long enough to act like i really get ny state of mind

• batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Neither LL nor LONS nor SOM have written anything close to "NY State Of Mind", which was also done on its first take.

I didn't say nobody made a better song. I said they didn't write anything close to it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I didn't say nobody made a better song. I said they didn't write anything close to it.

Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag Getting Crushed by Buildings

• nope

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I saw it a few days ago. It's well done and gives some insight on what inspired the album.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    I thought the film was too long but enjoyable overall for what it was. It reminded me how i generally do not enjoy most live hip-hop performances these days. I found the live footage kinda painful.